carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2020, 02:54 PM   #21
JST
195
 
JST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 22,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Miatas are great winter cars, assuming LSD and good snow tires. Way more fun to drive in snow than a GTI or other FWD appliance.
Eh. I commuted in a Miata with an LSD and snow tires back in Michigan. Yes, it was fun to slide around and play Ari Vatanen, but clambering inside that thing wearing a heavy coat and boots and trying to find space for my hat and briefcase was a PITA. In the winter I'd rather have something like a Golf, especially for commuting.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 03:18 PM   #22
FC
Solving problems
 
FC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: '21 GTI, '18 M3 ZCP, '13 LR4, '11 Miata
Location: Metro Boston
Posts: 23,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Eh. I commuted in a Miata with an LSD and snow tires back in Michigan. Yes, it was fun to slide around and play Ari Vatanen, but clambering inside that thing wearing a heavy coat and boots and trying to find space for my hat and briefcase was a PITA. In the winter I'd rather have something like a Golf, especially for commuting.
I'm sure my wife would love to swap the Miata for a Golf. As much as a GTI would be fun, I found the vanilla TSI to be quite enjoyable. We really liked our eGolf too. A non-GTI is bound to be cheaper to buy and run as well, and would make a great car for our buys in a few years. I already have an M3 so no need for performance there.
FC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 05:29 PM   #23
RMR
Watch Me Jumpstart
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Carmudgeonly Ride: 2020 Honda Civic Hatch Sport
Location: Chicago
Posts: 887
I would drive the cars you have right now. Enjoy them because it seems like you have a good fleet. With the path that new car design is taking and the onslaught of EVs/CUVs etc.....who knows what is going to be able to be called "fun" in the near future. If it were me, I'd split the mileage between the M3 and the Miata.
__________________
'20 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport 1.5T
'15 Audi Q7 3.0T
'18 Acura TLX A-Spec SH-AWD
RMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 05:51 PM   #24
ZBB
Relic
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Location: The Valley of the Sun
Posts: 12,120
I had 20+ mile commutes for about 16 years and never once worried too much about the impact of those miles on the value of the car. I purchased the cars so I could get around and enjoy my time in the car as much as possible.

Commutes were (one way):
  • Atlanta: ~28 miles. Fortunately only had this for about 6-8 months since it was in traffic hell (~30 min without traffic, but could be 2+ hours if I left at the wrong time...)
    Phoenix: ~28 miles for 9 years, then ~23-24 miles depending on route for 4 years after our office moved. Both of these were mostly against traffic, so weren't too bad -- roughly 30 min (the closer office had less freeway...)
    Cinci: ~22 to ~29 miles depending on route. I usually took the shortest route in and longest route home to minimize traffic -- both of those were mostly freeway and ~30ish min. But there were non-freeway routes that I sometimes needed when there were accidents -- and it could take up to an hour each way. About 2x per month it took 45 min due to an accident and an hour every 3 months or so...

But now that I'm in TX, my commute is just a few feet
__________________
ZBB
ZBB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 06:21 PM   #25
clyde
Chief title editor
 
clyde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 25,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
My concern would be your vulnerability in a Miata on the highway every day. If I were your wife I would spend a lot of time trying to convince you to drive the safer car. Your kids have only one father.
Iím sorry, but thatís really overkill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Eh. I commuted in a Miata with an LSD and snow tires back in Michigan. Yes, it was fun to slide around and play Ari Vatanen, but clambering inside that thing wearing a heavy coat and boots and trying to find space for my hat and briefcase was a PITA. In the winter I'd rather have something like a Golf, especially for commuting.
Briefcase?

Seriously, though, all of that. Driving a Miata in winter is fine. Getting in and out of a closed up Miata is enough of a pain when wearing cargo shorts and a t shirt. Itís pretty fíing annoying when dressed for a New England winter day. Even with a skullcap youíre not taking off and leaving the briefcase in 1975.
__________________
OH NOES!!!!!1 MY CAR HAS T3H UND3R5T33R5555!!!!!!1oneone!!!!11

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 07:11 PM   #26
wdc330i
dogged
 
wdc330i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: '17 M240i / ‘21 Mazda CX-5
Posts: 9,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Iím sorry, but thatís really overkill.



Briefcase?

Seriously, though, all of that. Driving a Miata in winter is fine. Getting in and out of a closed up Miata is enough of a pain when wearing cargo shorts and a t shirt. Itís pretty fíing annoying when dressed for a New England winter day. Even with a skullcap youíre not taking off and leaving the briefcase in 1975.
Possibly. I would not feel safe driving every day in a Miata on the highway with distracted drivers in 5,000-lb SUVs and fully laden trucks. But Iíll admit Iím a cautious sort.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 07:45 PM   #27
FC
Solving problems
 
FC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: '21 GTI, '18 M3 ZCP, '13 LR4, '11 Miata
Location: Metro Boston
Posts: 23,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Possibly. I would not feel safe driving every day in a Miata on the highway with distracted drivers in 5,000-lb SUVs and fully laden trucks. But I’ll admit I’m a cautious sort.
I am cautious too. My current commute job has a hwy portion and I never worried too much about being in the Miata, but I spend about 7 minutes on the highway against traffic. I find the Miata easier to drive in snow that in rain. Something about a respectable amount of rainfall in the hwy, in a Miata, in the dark that starts feeling a little uncomfortable.

It's a bit different in heavy traffic and being there for 30+ minutes each way. My wife will certainly push for the Golf idea. The question is, will it cost me the Miata. It probably should, since the use case would go down a bunch. And a 4th car would be pretty objectionable with a solid reason.
FC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 08:12 PM   #28
JST
195
 
JST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 22,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
I am cautious too. My current commute job has a hwy portion and I never worried too much about being in the Miata, but I spend about 7 minutes on the highway against traffic. I find the Miata easier to drive in snow that in rain. Something about a respectable amount of rainfall in the hwy, in a Miata, in the dark that starts feeling a little uncomfortable.

It's a bit different in heavy traffic and being there for 30+ minutes each way. My wife will certainly push for the Golf idea. The question is, will it cost me the Miata. It probably should, since the use case would go down a bunch. And a 4th car would be pretty objectionable with a solid reason.
It could cost you the Miata but speed up the Boxster? Win win.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 08:54 PM   #29
FC
Solving problems
 
FC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: '21 GTI, '18 M3 ZCP, '13 LR4, '11 Miata
Location: Metro Boston
Posts: 23,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
It could cost you the Miata but speed up the Boxster? Win win.
No doubt. I would happily give up the Miata short-term for a medium-term Boxster.

I still think I will try to get through one more winter in the Miata, if only to get a little more ROI on the winter wheels and tires, and Maybe make the call sometime next year.

It's not as if I can't drive the M3 in the winter, but I want to keep it to clean, dry roads.
FC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 12:19 AM   #30
lemming
Eastern Promises
 
lemming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: Blue Pig
Posts: 14,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
No doubt. I would happily give up the Miata short-term for a medium-term Boxster.

I still think I will try to get through one more winter in the Miata, if only to get a little more ROI on the winter wheels and tires, and Maybe make the call sometime next year.

It's not as if I can't drive the M3 in the winter, but I want to keep it to clean, dry roads.

Man, I really miss having to worry about winter driving in New England.

Said me never.

LOL.

I think you are all crazy for driving an MX5 even with snows. The car is too light and wonít dig and bite into packed snow. Youíd get stuck so easily itís not funny on poorly plowed roads.
__________________


lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Forums © 2003-2008, 'Mudgeon Enterprises - Site hosting by AYN & Associates, LLC