carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2021, 04:48 PM   #161
JST
195
 
JST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 22,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Another positive review of the base model. Also, the first one i've seen that's on steel suspension:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcYkH94g1t8
It's a good review. Love that red interior.

The presenter reminds me a lot of Murray from Flight of the Conchords, though.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 05:50 PM   #162
robg
Carmudgeon
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
It's a good review. Love that red interior.

The presenter reminds me a lot of Murray from Flight of the Conchords, though.
haha- he's actually from New Zealand I think. I've watched a bunch of his stuff over the years and he's kind of grown on me-- his original claim to (youtube) fame was actually a horrible ownership experience w/ a 991 that Porsche completely dropped the ball on. Seems like he's still a huge Porsche fan though.

Agree on the red interior but not sure i'd ever spend the $4k Porsche wants for it.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 11:07 AM   #163
equ
Alphanumeric
 
equ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Posts: 9,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Another positive review of the base model. Also, the first one i've seen that's on steel suspension:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcYkH94g1t8
I find that Kiwi from Connecticut quite annoying but his comments on Taycan suspension jibe with my Macan air vs. steel impressions. Steel rode well enough, air was cushier, but steel felt more connected. Had PASM in both.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 11:58 AM   #164
robg
Carmudgeon
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
I find that Kiwi from Connecticut quite annoying but his comments on Taycan suspension jibe with my Macan air vs. steel impressions. Steel rode well enough, air was cushier, but steel felt more connected. Had PASM in both.
The only (admittedly petty and superficial) downside is that the car appears to sit too high w/ the steel suspension. Check out the exterior shots starting at 8:15...

On an unrelated note, I walked by an Audi A7 this morning and that car seems to be about the same length with a similarly low roofline. Still not sure how they were able to engineer a hatchback for that but not the Taycan. Same comments apply to the 4 series gran coupe.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 02:07 PM   #165
JST
195
 
JST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 22,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
The only (admittedly petty and superficial) downside is that the car appears to sit too high w/ the steel suspension. Check out the exterior shots starting at 8:15...

On an unrelated note, I walked by an Audi A7 this morning and that car seems to be about the same length with a similarly low roofline. Still not sure how they were able to engineer a hatchback for that but not the Taycan. Same comments apply to the 4 series gran coupe.
My guess is it has to do with floor height, which is probably at least an inch or two higher in the Taycan than in those others, b/c of the battery; that gives you less room if you're going to maintain the same roofline.

I agree that the lack of a hatch on the Taycan (and on the Model 3, to be honest) is a big pain. The wagon is the only one I'd want as a result.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 05:16 PM   #166
robg
Carmudgeon
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
My guess is it has to do with floor height, which is probably at least an inch or two higher in the Taycan than in those others, b/c of the battery; that gives you less room if you're going to maintain the same roofline.

I agree that the lack of a hatch on the Taycan (and on the Model 3, to be honest) is a big pain. The wagon is the only one I'd want as a result.
Yeah that's probably it - although Porsche likes to make a big deal about their "foot garages" for rear seat passengers. But I guess with such a low roofline, a rear crossbar to mount a hatch wouldn't have worked. I do prefer the look of the sedan, but I think that's mostly cause I dont' like those plastic wheel arches on the CT. With all the crazy cosmetic options they have, it's hard to believe Porsche leaves money on the table by not offering an opttion to have those painted. Hopefully it's a sign that they plan to offer a "sport turismo" version as well
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone else intrigued by the charger scat pack? robg Car Talk 19 07-09-2016 11:57 AM
Anyone else intrigued by the Fusion Sport? robg Car Talk 32 03-07-2016 11:18 PM
Is anyone else intrigued by the G6 GTP? JST Car Talk 14 10-28-2005 07:23 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Forums 2003-2008, 'Mudgeon Enterprises - Site hosting by AYN & Associates, LLC