carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2021, 03:04 PM   #21
dan
redefined
 
dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 13,559
https://www.bmwofaustin.com/inventor...ts0c08m9f39531

__________________
"There's a freedom you begin to feel the closer you get to Austin, Texas."
-Willie
dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 03:31 PM   #22
Josh (PA)
Hello.
 
Josh (PA)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 S213
Location: Downingtown, PA
Posts: 4,237
That is the "real" M version, not the b58 "m4.0" version. Everything I've read suggests it is a miserable real world auto. Super stiff & rough riding. It's not what i want for our highway hauler.
__________________
Josh (PA) -
`19 E450 Wagon
'17 991.2 C2 Cab
'11 135i Convertible
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 06:30 PM   #23
equ
Alphanumeric
 
equ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Posts: 9,112
Interestingly the e63 wagon you started with the thread with 2 months ago is still for sale, the linky still worky.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 06:54 PM   #24
wdc330i
dogged
 
wdc330i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: '17 M240i / ‘21 Mazda CX-5
Posts: 9,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
That is the "real" M version, not the b58 "m4.0" version. Everything I've read suggests it is a miserable real world auto. Super stiff & rough riding. It's not what i want for our highway hauler.
It's pretty awful. There are hopes that BMW will improve it with the LCI.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 07:38 PM   #25
Josh (PA)
Hello.
 
Josh (PA)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 S213
Location: Downingtown, PA
Posts: 4,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
It's pretty awful. There are hopes that BMW will improve it with the LCI.
even if they do, the difference between $55k for 380hp vs $80k for 470hp is hard math to justify. Plus you can't put a hitch on the M.
__________________
Josh (PA) -
`19 E450 Wagon
'17 991.2 C2 Cab
'11 135i Convertible
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 07:46 PM   #26
wdc330i
dogged
 
wdc330i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: '17 M240i / ‘21 Mazda CX-5
Posts: 9,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
even if they do, the difference between $55k for 380hp vs $80k for 470hp is hard math to justify. Plus you can't put a hitch on the M.
Indeed. I really see no reason for an M-level SUV. I only drove one because, for awhile, they weren’t selling and there were demos for the same price as an X3 M40i—at a time when those were hard to find.

Driving the X3M and the Macan S disabused me of the notion that an SUV could be enough fun to replace a truly fun car. They have varying levels of competence and fit and finish—and certainly lots of utility. But they are not fun to drive.

I am super happy with the CX-5....and the 2.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 10:05 PM   #27
Alan
What ev's
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
even if they do, the difference between $55k for 380hp vs $80k for 470hp is hard math to justify.
Completely agree, 380 hp is beyond enough power ... still ridiculously fast.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 09:20 AM   #28
SCA
Carmudgeon
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: Changes Daily
Posts: 4,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
That is the "real" M version, not the b58 "m4.0" version. Everything I've read suggests it is a miserable real world auto. Super stiff & rough riding. It's not what i want for our highway hauler.
I have driven one and I totally concur with those sentiments. Better off with the M40i for daily use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
It's pretty awful. There are hopes that BMW will improve it with the LCI.
Fingers crossed. Centers do not seem to be optimistic that will happen though.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 03:56 PM   #29
Josh (PA)
Hello.
 
Josh (PA)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 S213
Location: Downingtown, PA
Posts: 4,237
I'd 100% do a couple year old e63 before I'd do the X3M. They both have the same issue of being too much / too harsh for the primary use case and too nice to be a hauler / winter vehicle. I have a huge aspirational desire for the e63 where I could convince myself to get one because I've always REALLY wanted one even if it wasn't smart. On the other hand, over wrought SUVs do nothing for me so the x3M is not even interesting.

85% of the miles will be going back and forth to Western NY, and the goal for that is to have a car that can cruise comfortably at 85mph with 3 people a dog and a bunch of stuff for 4 hours with enough additional power to get quickly around left lane sitters, tractor trailers and other annoyances while surviving the road hazzards of 4 seasons.

Add to that desire to tow and all the normal outdoorsy family hauler duties and this just seems like the way to go.
__________________
Josh (PA) -
`19 E450 Wagon
'17 991.2 C2 Cab
'11 135i Convertible
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 05:05 PM   #30
wdc330i
dogged
 
wdc330i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: '17 M240i / ‘21 Mazda CX-5
Posts: 9,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
I'd 100% do a couple year old e63 before I'd do the X3M. They both have the same issue of being too much / too harsh for the primary use case and too nice to be a hauler / winter vehicle. I have a huge aspirational desire for the e63 where I could convince myself to get one because I've always REALLY wanted one even if it wasn't smart. On the other hand, over wrought SUVs do nothing for me so the x3M is not even interesting.

85% of the miles will be going back and forth to Western NY, and the goal for that is to have a car that can cruise comfortably at 85mph with 3 people a dog and a bunch of stuff for 4 hours with enough additional power to get quickly around left lane sitters, tractor trailers and other annoyances while surviving the road hazzards of 4 seasons.

Add to that desire to tow and all the normal outdoorsy family hauler duties and this just seems like the way to go.
And maybe it will be nice to have a new car with a warranty for a change?
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Forums 2003-2008, 'Mudgeon Enterprises - Site hosting by AYN & Associates, LLC