carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 10-03-2005, 09:32 AM   #21
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren
I've seen an Explorer lift a rear wheel doing a U-turn.
I thought VW had a patent on that "feature?"
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 11:43 AM   #22
hockeynut
Casey puppy!

Wow - congratulations! My wife has no interest in sucking on ... oops, read the subject wrong
Old 10-03-2005, 11:59 AM   #23
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeynut
Wow - congratulations! My wife has no interest in sucking on ... oops, read the subject wrong
That bites

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 12:18 PM   #24
hockeynut
Casey puppy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde
That bites
Biting costs extra, doesn't it?
Old 10-03-2005, 12:39 PM   #25
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee
C&D ran a test a few years ago in the midst of the Exploder fiasco. They essentially rigged a tire to completely deflate on command and sent a brave report down a dragstrip. The result was that the Ford remained tractable and controllable after the "blowout," even at high speeds with both hands off the steering wheel. They concluded that blowout-related rollovers were most likely the result of panicked drivers, not an inherent design flaw in the car. Of course, that doesn't recuse Ford from recommending tire pressures too low to properly support the vehicle.
Yeah, but their "study" was about as un-scientific as you can get and pretty much worthless. Made good reading though.

Blowouts in the explorers didn't happen on dragstrips with professional drivers going in straight lines. They happened on the highway when they were going around curves or switching lanes and required correction. I read a report once from a guy that races on the weekends (I don't remember what, but it wasn't a full time job) that said the snap fish tail caused by his explorer blowout was the fastest he had ever dealt with and considered himself lucky that he managed to catch it.

I think those stupid things are prone to roll. Sure, the cell phone use during the blowout contributed to a lot of roll overs, as did other types of driver idiocy. Still, I think they should have to go fairly significant tests to find out if they are prone to roll before they are sold. But I especially think that Car and Driver's test was completely worthless and unscientifical.

Plaz, glad you are ok. Sorry to see the tire go. Espcecially one of those friggin expensive ones.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 12:55 PM   #26
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwg
Plaz, glad you are ok. Sorry to see the tire go. Espcecially one of those friggin expensive ones.
Thanks. Yeah, I really didn't need to cough up $200+ for a freaking tire this week. I'm hoping the difference in tread depth between the two back wheels doens't cause any feel issues.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:30 PM   #27
ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz
Thanks. Yeah, I really didn't need to cough up $200+ for a freaking tire this week. I'm hoping the difference in tread depth between the two back wheels doens't cause any feel issues.

I wonder what it'll do as far as the electronic "LSD" is concerned? Will the computer think that the one wheel is constantly slipping, since the one side is turning at a slower RPM?
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 04:54 PM   #28
Plaz
•••••••

Just got back from the garage with the new tire mounted.

Haven't pushed it at all yet, but it feels fine... obviously, there was no rim damage as they were able to balance it without difficulty.

Whew.
Old 10-09-2005, 03:50 PM   #29
Plaz
•••••••

So my brand new tire went flat.

There was a pointy piece of metal in the tread... it *almost* looks like the point of a knife that got snapped off, but not quite.

The coincidence is awfully odd, though... I'm starting to wonder if someone is doing this to me intentionally. I really don't have any enemies I know of, though, so it would be pretty odd for someone to do this.

I drove at least 3 or 4 miles on it with little or no air in the tire... while the hole could probably be patched, I don't know if I've destroyed my sidewalls or not by driving on it. Will the dude be able to tell?

I really don't want to have to drop *another* $200+ to replace a brand new tire.
Old 10-09-2005, 04:04 PM   #30
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Oh shit. WTF? That sucks.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote