carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 09-02-2010, 07:26 PM   #1
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
ZBB in a Boxster?

As you guys know... I'm itching to get a Boxster. I ended up turning down FC's car (and I'm glad he got it sold). But I have a bit of remorse about turning it down.

What do you guys think about '08 Boxster S? 4200 miles (over 2.5 years -- so it was definitely babied), Ruby Red and Tan. Lots of options on it. CPO warranty...

Its avail at the dealer in Tucson, which is a ~2 hour drive for me. I may call tonight to put a deposit on it and then go visit it tomorrow afternoon for a test drive and possible purchase...

Dealer is asking $47. Edmunds says $45 for dealer retail, and the numbers make sense to me around there...

http://www.chapmantucson.com/Tucson-...070180-CAP.htm

Old 09-02-2010, 08:04 PM   #2
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
4200 over 3 years? That car sat A LOT and/or was driven on very short trips.

Good luck. I think you know what I think.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:10 PM   #3
JST

It's a pretty car, and that color is unusual (and quite nice). I'm not a fan of the 19" wheels on the Boxster--I think the ride compromise is too great to justify. Also, in my looking around my experience was that the lighter interior colors (tan and grey) didn't age as well as the darker ones--they showed dirt faster. The upside is that it would be a lot cooler in the heat.

For that kind of bank, I wonder if you might be better off looking around for an 09 with lighter options and higher miles (or even a leftover '10 base car). That would get you the newer engine and the electronic improvements (iPod adapter/Bluetooth). I haven't driven a 987.2 non-S, but they have 6 speeds now, which addresses the biggest complaint I had with the 987.1 base models.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:18 PM   #4
ZBB
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
4200 over 3 years? That car sat A LOT and/or was driven on very short trips.

Good luck. I think you know what I think.
I'm a little concerned about the low miles... Carfax says 4k miles between 4-23-08 and 7-2-10. And then 200 miles since July 4 (looks like it was traded in at the BMW dealer near my office, and that group put it for sale at their Porsche dealership in Tucson).

So 4k miles over 26 months is ~150 miles per month. Probably a weekend toy for someone that had a daily driver...

Since its a CPO, its under warranty until April 2014 -- over 3.5 years and 95k more miles (with 1.5 years under the original warranty). I guess if anything happens due to the low miles that I'd be covered.

Stuka -
Since your M5 was low miles and you've had it in for a few things, any thoughts on what to look for?
Old 09-02-2010, 08:19 PM   #5
ZBB
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
For that kind of bank, I wonder if you might be better off looking around for an 09 with lighter options and higher miles (or even a leftover '10 base car). That would get you the newer engine and the electronic improvements (iPod adapter/Bluetooth). I haven't driven a 987.2 non-S, but they have 6 speeds now, which addresses the biggest complaint I had with the 987.1 base models.
I'll poke around for those. I had similar thoughts, especially about an '09 base...

Edit: No '09s avail based on a quick search (there are only 2 Porsche dealers in AZ -- Scottsdale & Tucson, plus I took a quick look at Vegas). Tucson has 2 '10s, but both highly optioned black/black S's -- 73-75k sticker!

If this car doesn't work out, I can easily wait. Another 2-3 months and some '09s will show up as CPO...
Old 09-02-2010, 08:34 PM   #6
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
I'll poke around for those. I had similar thoughts, especially about an '09 base...

Edit: No '09s avail based on a quick search (there are only 2 Porsche dealers in AZ -- Scottsdale & Tucson, plus I took a quick look at Vegas). Tucson has 2 '10s, but both highly optioned black/black S's -- 73-75k sticker!

If this car doesn't work out, I can easily wait. Another 2-3 months and some '09s will show up as CPO...
Yeah, if you're going the leftover route, you may have to travel (or look into shipping). Might be worth it for the right car. A buddy of mine is looking in the NYC area and found a couple of prospects there and in Philly, which is obviously a haul for you...but California's got to be thick with these things and that wouldn't be too far.

It doesn't help you find a car to test drive, but any new '11 base model would give you an idea of what the 987.2s are like.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:46 PM   #7
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
I'm a little concerned about the low miles... Carfax says 4k miles between 4-23-08 and 7-2-10. And then 200 miles since July 4 (looks like it was traded in at the BMW dealer near my office, and that group put it for sale at their Porsche dealership in Tucson).

So 4k miles over 26 months is ~150 miles per month. Probably a weekend toy for someone that had a daily driver...

Since its a CPO, its under warranty until April 2014 -- over 3.5 years and 95k more miles (with 1.5 years under the original warranty). I guess if anything happens due to the low miles that I'd be covered.

Stuka -
Since your M5 was low miles and you've had it in for a few things, any thoughts on what to look for?
The low miles isn't an issue on a car this new.

I don't understand why you just didn't buy FC's car - it was 10 k cheaper
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:16 PM   #8
ZBB
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
The low miles isn't an issue on a car this new.

I don't understand why you just didn't buy FC's car - it was 10 k cheaper
There were a couple reasons...
- I'm thinking this will be a car I keep longer than my last couple cars, so a longer warranty would be nice (essentially I'm not even looking at '07s anymore).

- Logistics on plates and title transfer was one. I'd need the car in AZ to do title transfer and get plates, and MA doesn't have a drive-out temp plate (AZ has one -- but only if the car is purchased in AZ and needs to be driven out of state).

- Timing was another -- I wouldn't have been able to get out to Boston until mid to late Sept and I didn't want to hold FC to my schedule.

Back on topic... There's definitely some negotiation room in the price on this car, so it won't be $10k more than FC's car. I bought my E39 from one of this dealer's stores -- and they had it priced at $44 and I bought it for $38. I don't think there'll be $6k on this Boxster, but they have another '08 (auto though) listed at $43k, so there's some room to negotiate...

Last edited by ZBB; 09-02-2010 at 10:26 PM.
ZBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:21 PM   #9
ZBB
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuka View Post
Dude,

For your budget, kick in a few more K and get a 996 GT3.

The ride might be stiff, but trust me, one drive and you'll understand why people love it.
No interest in that at all.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:25 PM   #10
ZBB
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I'm not a fan of the 19" wheels on the Boxster--I think the ride compromise is too great to justify.
I'll have to test one to see if it works. We are blessed with very smooth roads out here though, so may not be as big of an issue.

Quote:
Also, in my looking around my experience was that the lighter interior colors (tan and grey) didn't age as well as the darker ones--they showed dirt faster. The upside is that it would be a lot cooler in the heat.
I'm used to tan interiors. Love them. But they do take some maintenance -- especially tan floor mats...