carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 10-27-2015, 06:21 PM   #1351
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
Maybe in something where it improves performance. In those? Nope. Still have ICE maintenance, and the range is a joke.
I like the idea of having an ICE that extends range and let's me use the car on long distance trips. 20 miles is one way of my commute, so my gas use is cut in half. Plus the elect engine can act like a power booster when needed, otherwise the ICE has plenty of highway cruise power.
Based on Tesla reliability reports, you're better off with a BMW Audi ICE from a reliability perspective.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 06:42 PM   #1352
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
Based on Tesla reliability reports, you're better off with a BMW Audi ICE from a reliability perspective.
Them's fighting words in this thread!

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 06:51 PM   #1353
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Them's fighting words in this thread!

Maybe it's irrational, but I have zero interest in a cobbled together "plug in" hybrid that has been created just for marketing purposes.

I want a model 3, consumer reports be damned.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 12:23 AM   #1354
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Misreading one of your early posts in this thread, I think.

I disagree. It's the 2016 model year (or will be in a couple weeks given the 6-8 week order to delivery time...and do they shut/slow down for the holidays?). Any 2013 car is three years old regardless of whether it was an early 2013 delivered in late 2011 or late 2015 as a red head headed leftover long forgotten in the back corner of a storage lot.
Except that Tesla doesn't follow the traditional model year definition. They meet the legal definition, but they don't introduce 2016 models in Sept. Instead, they base model year on production schedule. A 2013 Tesla was built in 2013… 2016s won't be built until Jan (which is technically a few weeks)…
Old 10-28-2015, 12:33 AM   #1355
ZBB
Relic

The only comment I have on Tesla reliability is:

CR's survey indicated some high rates of certain repairs. Drive unit (i.e. "motor") replacements, main charger failures, and sunroof issues.

I have an early Model S (VIN is in the low 11,000s, built May 2013, so is first year of production). I've had all 3 issues. But none of them have stranded me:
  • The drive unit was replaced at 9 months at the advice of the service manager -- it was making a whining noise that he could hear (when driving to check the alignment). The first motor never actually failed, and the replacement has fine and doesn't whine.
  • The main charger died on day 9. I had enough charge to get to Tesla, they gave me a loaner, and had a new charger in later that day.
  • I had an alignment issue with the sunroof where it wouldn't always close. They replace the rails it sits on, and kept it overnight for the sealant to cure

All of those cropped up in the first year. Since then, I haven't had any issues other than one TSB Tesla applied over 15 months ago.

I'm close to 43k miles in less than 2.5 years -- and the warranty will run out at 50k miles. I'm not that worried about running it out of warranty...
Old 10-28-2015, 12:39 AM   #1356
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
Except that Tesla doesn't follow the traditional model year definition. They meet the legal definition, but they don't introduce 2016 models in Sept. Instead, they base model year on production schedule. A 2013 Tesla was built in 2013… 2016s won't be built until Jan (which is technically a few weeks)…
As I said.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 10:07 AM   #1357
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Ken's Tesla has been at the service center more in the several months he's owned it than our Mazdaspeed3 has been in five years and 150,000 miles (including time in the John V service bay). That is somewhat telling to me. Anecdotal, obviously.

Given that it's very difficult or impossible to work on a Tesla yourself, consider whether the car is baked enough to satisfy your needs and desires. For me, there are few things more irritating than having to take a car in for service, even if they do give you a free loaner.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 10:14 AM   #1358
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
I have a friend with an S ordered for April. I'll be watching his experience in a newer build car to see how it goes.

Since FC didn't sell me his Turbo, I may be able to afford a model3 without the Tesla math by the time (if) they actually show up.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 11:25 AM   #1359
ZBB
Relic

Back to service...

My car has been in to Tesla 4 times for unscheduled visits (the motor replacement was done during a scheduled visit...). The last unscheduled visit was in July 2014. It only been in on schedule since then.

One of those unscheduled visits doesn't really count. I had taken it in for a tire rotation (a scheduled service item...) on a Sat before we were departing on our big road trip. A TSB had been issued the prior day, and Tesla inspected my car for the issue (brake lines were rubbing in a particular place in the wheel well) -- and my car showed signs of wear on the brake line. Since the TSB was so new, they didn't have the parts in stock to do the repair at the same time as the tire rotation -- so Tesla had me bring the car back in on Tues since they wanted to make sure we had a safe trip (we were leaving Wed). Its not uncommon for work to be performed on a 2nd visit if parts need to be ordered. They got the work done within a couple days.

For comparison, the Boxster was in the body shop for a month after I got rear-ended. One part had to be ordered from Germany and took 3 weeks to arrive...
Old 10-28-2015, 12:48 PM   #1360
robg
Carmudgeon

I thought they picked up cars requiring service, dropped off a loaner (usually a higher spec model) and then delivered your car back when it was done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
Back to service...

My car has been in to Tesla 4 times for unscheduled visits (the motor replacement was done during a scheduled visit...). The last unscheduled visit was in July 2014. It only been in on schedule since then.

One of those unscheduled visits doesn't really count. I had taken it in for a tire rotation (a scheduled service item...) on a Sat before we were departing on our big road trip. A TSB had been issued the prior day, and Tesla inspected my car for the issue (brake lines were rubbing in a particular place in the wheel well) -- and my car showed signs of wear on the brake line. Since the TSB was so new, they didn't have the parts in stock to do the repair at the same time as the tire rotation -- so Tesla had me bring the car back in on Tues since they wanted to make sure we had a safe trip (we were leaving Wed). Its not uncommon for work to be performed on a 2nd visit if parts need to be ordered. They got the work done within a couple days.

For comparison, the Boxster was in the body shop for a month after I got rear-ended. One part had to be ordered from Germany and took 3 weeks to arrive...
robg is offline   Reply With Quote