carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 08-03-2005, 02:18 PM   #21
kognito
older fart than ZBB

I might only be saying this cause I'm in the land of 1,29 a liter for regular gas, but with the way prices are going at home, does "feeding" them factor in at all?? The I5 turbo must be less thirsty, right?
Old 08-03-2005, 03:22 PM   #22
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando

We'd like to go from our Saabaru straight to a diesel ML, but they will be way too expensive (especially as configured) to be able to afford them so soon (if we have kids as soon as we would like to).
Have you test driven the new MLs yet? I went to an MB "Drive the new ML" event in NJ a couple weekends ago. After driving the ML500, I didn't even want to get in the ML350. Before this event, the ML350 was on the potential list to replace the MINI sometime in the next year.

It is now off the list. I was extremely dissapointed in the new ML. I thought the interior quality was well below most of the competition (Taureg, XC90, and even the getting-dated X5, and it was only better than the Infiniti FX but not by much). It was noisy and had rattles left and right (and the one I drove had ~3500 miles on it -- so rattles are inexcusable). It also drove much worse than I thought -- very rough feeling.

I drove the E350 just after driving the ML500... The E350 felt faster and much more refined. Beautiful interior (my favourite of almost any in-production car today). It is still on my list to replace the e39 in a couple years.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:30 PM   #23
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwg
Can't find the balance on the website anymore I bet.
I thought this page might have it...

http://www.bmwworld.com/models/years...540i_sedan.htm

Unfortunately it doesn't. It does have MSRP for the car and avail options -- so I'm still posting the link.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:35 PM   #24
dan
redefined

TD seems to be ignoring the Legacy
Old 08-03-2005, 03:51 PM   #25
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonoboy
TD is all over the map with his waffles. Seems like he needs some deep inner soul searching before anyone else can help. uttaher:
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 03:54 PM   #26
TD
Founder emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt
Quote:
TD is all over the map with his waffles. Seems like he needs some deep inner soul searching before anyone else can help. uttaher:
Actually, the replace the wagon and 'vert with a large sedan has been on the radar for a while.

Granted even if we do get either one of these cars, that still leaves me to waffle about replacing my M3.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 03:56 PM   #27
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt
Quote:
Scoobies would never make it into my sphere of consideration due to their extreme fugliness. Does that make me a poseur?
Old 08-03-2005, 03:57 PM   #28
TD
Founder emeritus

Quote:
Yup.

Just like you are ignoring any activity with your Elise that would require a helmet.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 03:57 PM   #29
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando

We'd like to go from our Saabaru straight to a diesel ML, but they will be way too expensive (especially as configured) to be able to afford them so soon (if we have kids as soon as we would like to).
Have you test driven the new MLs yet? I went to an MB "Drive the new ML" event in NJ a couple weekends ago. After driving the ML500, I didn't even want to get in the ML350. Before this event, the ML350 was on the potential list to replace the MINI sometime in the next year.

It is now off the list. I was extremely dissapointed in the new ML. I thought the interior quality was well below most of the competition (Taureg, XC90, and even the getting-dated X5, and it was only better than the Infiniti FX but not by much). It was noisy and had rattles left and right (and the one I drove had ~3500 miles on it -- so rattles are inexcusable). It also drove much worse than I thought -- very rough feeling.

I drove the E350 just after driving the ML500... The E350 felt faster and much more refined. Beautiful interior (my favourite of almost any in-production car today). It is still on my list to replace the e39 in a couple years.
I went to the same event. I drove a stripped ML350. Decent power for such a bulky vehicle. Handled poorly but I have read from reviews the air suspension works beautifully. I didn't find the quality lacking, though the leather is crappy. I'd only get it in Alcantara/MB-Tex combo.

The major attraction to me is that it is beautiful for an SUV, and most importantly it is a given that the 320 CDI V6 will be offered. To be fair, not only have I not driven the CDI version (obviously), I still feel like that stupid event did not allow for a thorough enough test drive. So basically, I like the ML320 CDI on paper a lot.

I much rather get a 4-Matic E320 CDI, but aside from the cost (~60K out the door, or at least a 10K premium over a similar ML) there is no word on whether it will ever be offered. But a used E350 4-matic is still not out of the question. I'd just rather get a diesel MB, that's all.

I've stated ad nauseum here that the E-wagon gorgeous and I'd love to have one over an ML. There are actually a lot of E-wagons around here.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 03:59 PM   #30
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
I know you guys are tired of hearing me say I don't "get" why you are all so found of the Subarus, but I wouldn't even consider one. They aren't anywhere close to in the same league as the cars TD is considering for fit and finish, luxury and styling.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote