carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 07-20-2005, 12:29 AM   #21
ARCHER
Crotchety

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadstergal
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARCHER
As for the disco - what I'd want to do with it is rather extreme, not to mention expensive, and my wife is not exactly cool with that.
I still don't see what's wrong with doing minor mods that the wife is cool with, and exploring the limits there. I think you'd be surprised. Saying "I got the offroad bug, and now I want to cut my body panels and install insane lift kits, but I don't think the wife would be cool with it" sounds to me like "I just did my first track day, and after spending a morning reading up on power mods, now I need a turbo with 35psi boost, but my M3 won't handle it, so I need a Supra." I think you should take the Disco out as is, or with a few minor mods, and play with what it can do.
I was raised on serious off-roading and know what kind of mods the disco needs to do what I want to do. My wife ain't cool with it. I hoped the camping trip would have swayed her but it didn't. It's not that I just got the bug. I've had it all my life. My first vehicle was a Land Cruiser FJ55, followed by an FJ40. The disco is great and has seen its share of trails thus far. It just isn't ready to follow my brother's heavily modded FJ40 into the wilderness - not without some fairly comprehensive mods, anyway. It is capable as hell but needs work.

The reality is that I did not track the M3 and could not legally explore its limits. The closest track to me is farther away than the mountains. The M3 was a blast but I can enjoy the Rubicon in the outdoors with the whole family. The recent camping trip just gave me the green light to start doing those things again. The kids are ready and my wife and I are ready.

For the time being, the disco will continue to haul cargo for my wife's store and do lighter duty, long haul family excursions - ski trips and less demanding off-road stuff. I'll give it another year or so and check her temp. with regard to disco mods. For now, we'll get nasty in the Rubicon.

Edit: I'm not trying to be a dick but I have more experience with hard-core off-roading than on-roading. As it sits, the disco is a very expensive prospect to take into the really challenging stuff. It's great, but it need things.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:40 AM   #22
ARCHER
Crotchety

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren
Cool....that employee price must be great, care to share?

So is it black or brown?
Black... for now. The one I wanted is in South Texas so it will be Thursday before I take delivery.

I fear that I will be disowned by my family. Between my two brothers and my dad, there are three purpose-built Land Cruisers in the family. The Rover was insulting enough. Now, a Jeep...

To answer you question, I ended up getting the Rubicon for 24 and change.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:43 AM   #23
ARCHER
Crotchety

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee
Holy....

Well, I hope you like off-roading!
Love it.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:47 AM   #24
ARCHER
Crotchety

Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito
Rubicon is an awsome jeep. that sucker can climb trees, can't it?? Good luck with it
It's a very impressive package right out of the box. Honestly, I've had my eye on the Rubicon for a while now. I just wanted to make sure my wife still loved campaing and off-roading as much as she used to. Turns out we had a great time. So...
Old 07-20-2005, 12:49 AM   #25
ARCHER
Crotchety

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt
It seems the most important question is the following: is this off-roading desire a temporary itch that will disappear in a few weeks, or is it something that will become a hobbie for the next several years, and will create fun for both you and the whole family?

If it's the latter, then you have no choice. Go for it. But if you're anything like me, you can't be completely sure it's not the former.

v
v
v
About?
Old 07-20-2005, 06:39 AM   #26
TD
Founder emeritus

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD
Quote:
Quote:
It seems the most important question is the following: is this off-roading desire a temporary itch that will disappear in a few weeks, or is it something that will become a hobbie for the next several years, and will create fun for both you and the whole family?

If it's the latter, then you have no choice. Go for it. But if you're anything like me, you can't be completely sure it's not the former.

v
v
v
About?
"'98 M3/4 (recently displaced) "
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 08:40 AM   #27
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

I'm no off-roader, but I've been rather partial to Jeeps. About the only thing that would displace one, in my mind, would be a Rover, but it's hard to get past the value of a good ol' 'Murican lump.
blee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 08:48 AM   #28
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:

I fear that I will be disowned by my family. Between my two brothers and my dad, there are three purpose-built Land Cruisers in the family. The Rover was insulting enough. Now, a Jeep...
At least they all have solid axles
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 10:58 AM   #29
ARCHER
Crotchety

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren
Quote:

At least they all have solid axles
Only way to go. Although I have been reading about the LR3 over at discoweb.org and some actually claim it is more capable than the outgoing disco II. Sorry, I'd have to see it to believe it.

And besides, it looks like everything else on the road now. At least the Discovery has unique character.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:04 AM   #30
ARCHER
Crotchety

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD
Quote:
Quote:

v
v
v
About?
"'98 M3/4 (recently displaced) "
It was tough to leave it sitting up there yesterday. All of the service people commented on how well-kept the car was and that I must hate to give it up. I do hate to see the M3 go but I am also very excited about the Rubicon. My wife and I both feel this was a good decision.

I only hope that they send the car to an outside market. Or that if someone here buys it, that the new owner respects the car for what it is. I couldn't bear to see it with a goofy-ass wing and 20" chrome spinners. That would truly break my heart.