carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 08-17-2018, 04:58 PM   #461
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Only a small portion of my lifetime tire failures have been non-repairable,
I've had 5 flats and I think only one of them was repairable.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 04:59 PM   #462
rumatt
Mugwump

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Is the E46 on the chopping block along with the Cayman?
Nah, I'm keeping it for a year or so and seeing how much I drive it.

And given my track record, I wouldn't be surprised if it lasts longer than the Tesla.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:30 PM   #463
rumatt
Mugwump

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
By the way, did you use a referral code for your order -- just want to make sure you got free supercharging!
I did use one! I didn't yours though.. Sorry for whatever percs you might have otherwise gotten... but didn't.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:48 PM   #464
JST

OK, pulled the trigger, too. Red/white, Performance, 20" wheels because I am a fucking masochist. Delivery Oct-Dec.

I'm still a little unsure about how good an idea trading the Model S is on this--in some ways it is not an upgrade (size, lack of an opening roof, lack of XM, lack of a spare, some other small stuff).

In other ways, though, it really is. It's faster than even the P85+, it handles a LOT better and feels like far more of a sports sedan, the seats are a lot nicer, and it has 60 extra miles of range, which will be nice to have on trips.

Plus, look--I support this company and I support its mission. Musk is a lunatic in some ways and is clearly going through personal hell, but Tesla's accomplishments to date are unbelievable and I want to see them succeed. I especially want to see them succeed in light of the current administration's stupidity about climate change. And I want to take advantage of the tax credit, both because I want to save money and because I want the Trump administration to pay me to buy an electric car.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 08:20 PM   #465
rumatt
Mugwump

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I support this company and I support its mission.

I want the Trump administration to pay me to buy an electric car.

Both of these were factors in my decision, particularly to justify the cost of the upgrades.

Congrats on joining the club... of waiters. The red exterior, white interior, and 20's look fantastic. I think you're going to love it.

Last edited by rumatt; 08-17-2018 at 08:32 PM.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:13 PM   #466
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
I did use one! I didn't yours though.. Sorry for whatever percs you might have otherwise gotten... but didn't.
I don’t care about using my code. Just glad you used one
Old 08-17-2018, 09:17 PM   #467
ZBB
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post

OK, pulled the trigger, too. Red/white, Performance, 20" wheels because I am a fucking masochist. Delivery Oct-Dec.

I'm still a little unsure about how good an idea trading the Model S is on this--in some ways it is not an upgrade (size, lack of an opening roof, lack of XM, lack of a spare, some other small stuff).

In other ways, though, it really is. It's faster than even the P85+, it handles a LOT better and feels like far more of a sports sedan, the seats are a lot nicer, and it has 60 extra miles of range, which will be nice to have on trips.

Plus, look--I support this company and I support its mission. Musk is a lunatic in some ways and is clearly going through personal hell, but Tesla's accomplishments to date are unbelievable and I want to see them succeed. I especially want to see them succeed in light of the current administration's stupidity about climate change. And I want to take advantage of the tax credit, both because I want to save money and because I want the Trump administration to pay me to buy an electric car.
Congrats. Will be curious to see how the white holds up. I didn’t want to take the risk.

Speaking of trades, I received the trade quote from Tesla last night. Let’s just say it was at the low end of the plausible range. I’m heading to Carmax for a quote on Sunday — if they offer at least $1600 more, it’s theirs (although I’ll hold on selling it for a week). Tomorrow is cleaning day...

Delivery is tentatively Sun the 26th.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:37 PM   #468
rumatt
Mugwump

Nice on the 26th!!! You'd better post pics and a review.

$1,600 is all it takes to compensate for the tax savings?
Old 08-17-2018, 09:44 PM   #469
ZBB
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
Nice on the 26th!!! You'd better post pics and a review.

$1,600 is all it takes to compensate for the tax savings?
Yep.

Depending on what Carmax offers, I may try to private parrty it. But I don’t really want to deal with that. Tesla’s offer came in about what I expected. When I sold the Boxster to get the S, Carmax came in $3k higher than Tesla — nearly double the tax benefit. We’ll see how it goes.

Last edited by ZBB; 08-18-2018 at 08:50 AM.
ZBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:13 AM   #470
ZBB
Relic

JST & rumatt -
What sort of accessories are you considering?

So far, I've already ordered the 5-20 plug adapter. Tesla ships the GenII UMC with the Model 3 now, and the GenI adapters I have won't fit. I still haven't had a 14-50 outlet added to the garage in OH, but the garage does have 20A 120V outlets, which have worked well.

For front license plate, are you going to go with the OEM bracket (which is taped to the bumper)? When I moved to OH and had to get a front plate, I went with "the Law" no-drill bracket for the Model S, which is great, and they sell a Model 3 version for $135. There's also a Model 3 owner on TMC that is selling his own design, called "the Bandit" that is $130 with shipping, and I found a generic one that is $40-45 less than the others after shipping, and someone posted a video on YouTube with it attached to a 3. I may just go with the OEM mount -- I guess worst case is I move back to a 1-plate state and have to spend a few minutes cleaning off the 3M tape… Links:
Law: https://torkliftcentral.com/the-law/...-3-law#reviews
Bandit: https://www.1975creations.com/produc...-plate-bracket
Generic: https://www.slybrackets.com/store/#!...617/category=0

I'm also very likely to get a vinyl wrap for the center console -- the glossy piano black is just too much of a fingerprint magnet. There are at least 3 vendors that sell kits, ranging from $30-50 with various color/pattern options. I'm leaning towards the brushed black metallic…
https://www.abstractocean.com/model-...e-vinyl-wraps/