carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 09-25-2020, 10:46 AM   #1421
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
For this reason, I keep coming back to the plug-in hybrids. I wish the X3 had better range, but it's very much on my radar--especially with the $5k plus tax credit...I read one rumor that they are coming out with an M version next year, and likely all-electric range will continue to improve each year (the new X5 range is considerably better than the previous one.)

One stumbling bock is that I hate losing the option of the spare, which you cannot have because the battery sucks up that space in the cargo area.
That x5 does seem like a decent deal in today's market. I built one based on what I'd want and it came up at $77,8xx. I assume that doesn't include any tax breaks. That seems like a solid package. 31 miles of range would get my wife back and forth to work on most days + an i-6 for range and smoothness.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 11:16 AM   #1422
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Probably not. And certainly not in colder weather.

I've never driven a Model S LR, so take my answer with a grain of salt. But cruising at 90 burns a lot of watts, and hills can hurt, too. And cold weather/rain takes a toll, as well.

Do you really drive 290 miles without stopping? You've got more endurance than I do.
wow, that is sort of crappy since over a 100 miles to spare.

Guess that is pretty fast on the highway, I thought most the east coast was heavy enforced?
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 11:17 AM   #1423
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
That x5 does seem like a decent deal in today's market. I built one based on what I'd want and it came up at $77,8xx. I assume that doesn't include any tax breaks. That seems like a solid package. 31 miles of range would get my wife back and forth to work on most days + an i-6 for range and smoothness.

The X3 is eligible for $5836 tax credit and the X5 eligible for $7500. Much better than what I recall the BMW PHEVs qualifying for a few years back.
Old 09-25-2020, 11:40 AM   #1424
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
The X3 is eligible for $5836 tax credit and the X5 eligible for $7500. Much better than what I recall the BMW PHEVs qualifying for a few years back.
It's pretty enticing...

I wish I were a lease person, because this kind of rapidly evolving tech seems perfect for leasing over buying. But, a lease would really hurt me if I find a house I want to buy in the next year or so.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 12:50 PM   #1425
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Quote:
It's pretty enticing...

I wish I were a lease person, because this kind of rapidly evolving tech seems perfect for leasing over buying. But, a lease would really hurt me if I find a house I want to buy in the next year or so.
The more I look into this, the more that X5 45e seems like the perfect next car for us. Reading on bimmerpost, new owners are easily getting 30 - 40 miles on charge with normal (non-eco) use.

This is a really good review and lines up with my thoughts on full electrics vs plug in, etc.

'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Old 09-25-2020, 04:11 PM   #1426
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
The more I look into this, the more that X5 45e seems like the perfect next car for us. Reading on bimmerpost, new owners are easily getting 30 - 40 miles on charge with normal (non-eco) use.

This is a really good review and lines up with my thoughts on full electrics vs plug in, etc.

Thanks for that. It's a compelling package. Unless I'm missing something, there's also no reason to order the Msport--uness you want the steering wheel and huge rims.

This chart is interesting, and perhaps gives some insight into the improvements of the tech since the car JST drove.

I am stuck in a rental house for awhile and only have a regular outlet available to me in the garage. So, that, coupled with the fact that I prefer the smaller form factor of the X3 (X5 might not fit in the garage), the lower price point, and the fact that I work from home so city errands are under 18 miles R/T, makes me lean to the smaller SUV.

But the X5 looks like a better overall combo of engine and range. Plus, you get a normal load floor in the cargo area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 4.06.41 PM.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	12839  
Old 09-25-2020, 04:35 PM   #1427
JST

Quote:
Thanks for that. It's a compelling package. Unless I'm missing something, there's also no reason to order the Msport--uness you want the steering wheel and huge rims.

This chart is interesting, and perhaps gives some insight into the improvements of the tech since the car JST drove.

I am stuck in a rental house for awhile and only have a regular outlet available to me in the garage. So, that, coupled with the fact that I prefer the smaller form factor of the X3 (X5 might not fit in the garage), the lower price point, and the fact that I work from home so city errands are under 18 miles R/T, makes me lean to the smaller SUV.

But the X5 looks like a better overall combo of engine and range. Plus, you get a normal load floor in the cargo area.
I mean...yes? I guess the X5 has double the battery capacity of the 2020 530e I drove, so probably it will be able to go farther in EV only mode. But, FWIW, the 530e could not do my round trip commute, which is 11 miles, and I assume the X5 is less efficient.

The other thing that jumps out from that chart is that despite doubling the battery size, they apparently don't fit a bigger charger to the X5? That's nuts. The 530e was already damn near impossible to charge on a 120V outlet. I guess a 240V 30A charger would help a lot, but jeez.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 04:56 PM   #1428
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I mean...yes? I guess the X5 has double the battery capacity of the 2020 530e I drove, so probably it will be able to go farther in EV only mode. But, FWIW, the 530e could not do my round trip commute, which is 11 miles, and I assume the X5 is less efficient.

The other thing that jumps out from that chart is that despite doubling the battery size, they apparently don't fit a bigger charger to the X5? That's nuts. The 530e was already damn near impossible to charge on a 120V outlet. I guess a 240V 30A charger would help a lot, but jeez.
Ah, I thought you drove the earlier 5 hybrid. Hmmm. Maybe you come at it from the uber perspective of a Tesla owner? Rather than an ICE owner looking for any kind of electric progress.

PS: Ex is picking up her Y (which is funny to hear in my head) even as we speak. We are swapping our son tonight, so I'll see it shortly.

I'd get a Tesla in a heartbeat, if it filled the function of my pleasure convertible. But with the hauling machine, part of the goal is to be able to do long drives without worry.
Old 09-25-2020, 05:00 PM   #1429
JST

Quote:
Ah, I thought you drove the earlier 5 hybrid. Hmmm. Maybe you come at it from the uber perspective of a Tesla owner? Rather than an ICE owner looking for any kind of electric progress.

PS: Ex is picking up her Y (which is funny to hear in my head) even as we speak. We are swapping our son tonight, so I'll see it shortly.

I'd get a Tesla in a heartbeat, if it filled the function of my pleasure convertible. But with the hauling machine, part of the goal is to be able to do long drives without worry.
I mean, it was laughably bad from the perspective of someone that's lived with a Tesla for a while. It's *years* behind my original 2013 Model S. Years.

I can't figure out why anyone would buy one, except that maybe it gives them the ability to drive in carbon free cities in Europe? But maybe the answer to my question is "that's why the brand new 2020 530e was being used as a service loaner."
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:43 PM   #1430
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Quote:

From what I've been reading, the X5 is limited to 16amps max charging flow. So quickest you can charge it to full is 7hrs. Not really meant to stop by a supercharger and juice up, more meant to be an efficiency and power addition to a detuned b58 engine.

I did find it interesting in the review that Harry did 812 of his 1500 total miles in full electric mode. That is decent.

Quote:
This x5 seems to be a quantum leap from the previous gen BMW plug in hybrids. It is a really good package size, and the price is only about $10k - $12k more than a comparably optioned x3 m40 as I built it. Thats before tax credits and any other cost of ownership related savings.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3