carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 02-08-2017, 10:43 AM   #21
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz View Post
Man, I hate that random space deletion/insertion guideline specified in the ALWD Citation Manual.
Imagine trying to write that way.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 11:24 AM   #22
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Imagine trying to write that way.
I'tsincomprehensible .
Old 02-09-2017, 12:25 AM   #23
Terri Kennedy
There and back again

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2003 BMW 325xiT; looking for a new fun car
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Thanks for posting. I think I spent $1000 on the new computer. Would be nice to get it back. Will have to check the class definition to see if I'm covered.
I don't know why the lawyers didn't insist that BMW pro-actively notify the owners of all included cars which were repaired out-of-warranty at a BMW dealership, since their records include the VINs and the specific defect codes for replacing any of the modules, applying the warning sticker, etc.

That would reduce the number of owners who needed to search for records to those who had the module(s) replaced at an independent service shop, or who purchased the module(s) at the parts counter themselves.

At the 2004 NYIAS, I saw a pre-production 6er with the "electronics in spare tire well" and thought it was a bad idea even then:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Kennedy
Did they really regress that much on the E6x?

I suppose it is possible - I once poked around a bit in a pre-production 6er and the spare tire well in the trunk had a styrofoam insert with the usual massive BMW fuse box and other stuff in there. No idea if that was just pre-production or if it carried over into series production, though.
And it isn't like BMW never had experiences with clogged sunroof drains before.
Terri Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 10:55 AM   #24
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
So we have ~90k miles on the 535 wagon now after a year of ownership. We bought it in June of last year w/ ~58k and had ~73k in April... One thing ownership of it has reinforced for me is BMWs are very predictable.

- Soon after we bought it we had the HPFP go... replaced by BMW under warranty.

- In June, I found a small amount of water in the battery area. Traced it back to clogged sun roof drains. Did the clean out and was amazed how carefully the clean out had to be performed. I used compressed air first, but didn't get the blockage to clear until I went with a pipe cleaner and went from the sun roof side through the port. Both sides were clogged.

- Over the weekend the electric water failed. It made it to 90k which seems pretty good for these electric pumps. The one in my 135 on made it 33k miles before crapping out.

- While it was in there, I'm having the carbon cleaning of the intake valves done. See attached pics of the "before." I was having minor/occasional mis-fires/roughness that I expect this will cure.

I *think/hope* that is all the major N54/e61 gremlins. I'm hopeful that as long as I keep after the sunroof we should be in good shape for another couple of years. Anything else I should prepare for? The pro/con of all this is BMW issues are so well documented and so predictable that there are very little surprises. The con is these issues are also very hard to avoid (ie: prevent from requiring attention).

I will say it is an awesome car for road trips. Super comfortable, super fast, etc. It's been good at hauling crap around, and my wife likes it as a daily drive. It was also solid in the snow last winter. I wish it was a 2010 had comfort seats and comfort access, but for what we paid for it we've gotten good value for our money. If we can get 3 more years out of it I'll consider it a win...
Ugh, so much for my dream of BMW paying for a broken water pump. The lawsuit was for 84k or below.

Also, this place has sooo much history.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote