carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 01-20-2024, 11:16 AM   #121
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
That’s cool; sounds like the right car for your wife.

The shift programming thing is what has historically driven me nuts about BMW automatics—either too sleepy or too aggro, with no Goldilocks program. It was especially irritating how they would lock out top gear in sport mode—like, I want responsiveness around town but I don’t need to be hitting redline on the highway while cruising.

The X5 is mostly good in normal mode, though part of that may be the hybrid motor that works as a buffer especially at lower speeds. But I mostly don’t notice the transmission, which is about all you can hope for in an auto.

How does the programming in the Mini compare to the M5? I know they’re very different cars, but does the M5 feel more natural, less natural, or about the same in terms of shifting behavior?
I can't really speak about the M5 given the very cold temps and the ridiculous P-Zero sensitivity to cold. Also, both times I drove the M5 was with my wife in the car, where I will forever be walking on eggshells to make her feel like the car is luxurious and comfortable.

In those situations I can't really play with the modes much. But more importantly, the car has such stupid levels of power and torque that it doesn't seem to matter whatsoever in relaxed driving. It seems to pull plenty hard from any gear. I'll need better weather and to be alone to play around with automatic shift programs.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 11:25 AM   #122
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Thanks for the update

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
That’s cool; sounds like the right car for your wife.

The shift programming thing is what has historically driven me nuts about BMW automatics—either too sleepy or too aggro, with no Goldilocks program. It was especially irritating how they would lock out top gear in sport mode—like, I want responsiveness around town but I don’t need to be hitting redline on the highway while cruising.

yeah that has been my experience with most automatic sport programming but I guess I do not have a ton of experience with them.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 11:34 AM   #123
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
I can't really speak about the M5 given the very cold temps and the ridiculous P-Zero sensitivity to cold. Also, both times I drove the M5 was with my wife in the car, where I will forever be walking on eggshells to make her feel like the car is luxurious and comfortable.

In those situations I can't really play with the modes much. But more importantly, the car has such stupid levels of power and torque that it doesn't seem to matter whatsoever in relaxed driving. It seems to pull plenty hard from any gear. I'll need better weather and to be alone to play around with automatic shift programs.
I always ask about the automatics because I was so traumatized by the Mercedes AMG 9G trionic —which scarred me for life.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 11:53 AM   #124
robg
Carmudgeon

Mrs FC saw something

Glad you figured out the transmission. We test drove a mini ev back in the fall and I agree that the interior punches above its weight in terms of quality. Also really nice to have idrive with the classic knob/button arrangement. I guess you now have nearly all possible drivetrain layouts between your fleet: fwd, Front engine/rear drive, AWD, and mid engine/rear drive. Must be cool to have 4 distinct experiences available to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is online now   Reply With Quote