Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
Features restored for this car... https://apple.news/AMLuGg5a-TOSlJPbUyns1dg
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
"miscommunication"... Umm, okay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge story
Exactly what Tesla’s policy is here is hard to say, though. The automaker did not respond to multiple requests for clarification or comment.
"miscommunication" defined as "Shit, we got caught. Let's fix that one case and maybe no one will notice all the others"?

In an alternate universe, Tesla might say something like, "Oh crap, that wasn't supposed to happen. We goofed. Won't happen again. Please keep checking on us to make sure." But of course they wouldn't.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 08:59 PM   #43
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
My take is that they remove the features from cars before they auction them... that way they can try to sell the feature again.

In this case, they didn’t remove the option before auction for some reason. Then removed it and got caught. But the documentation said it was there, so they got caught...
Old 02-16-2020, 08:36 AM   #44
kognito
older fart than ZBB

This option sounds like I support Tesla, um no.

but someone at the service center might just have fucked up and clicked the wrong toggle and disabled it
Old 02-29-2020, 09:16 PM   #45
JST

So, a study in contrasts.

At the end of last year, Tesla decided to implement a charge for "Premium Connectivity," which gives you continued access to streaming music, traffic info, etc. There had been talk of this coming, so it wasn't a surprise. Tesla sent me an email, I clicked on the link, entered my cc info, done. Services never were interrupted. This could also be done through the Tesla app.

BMW apparently has a four year complimentary subscription to its "ConnectedDrive" services. When my car turned four the other day, the services stopped working. No email, no notice through the app, nothing. The app does not have a way to purchase the services, instead directing you to a phone number.

Today I called the number, and after a 20 min wait, the (nice) guy on the other end ran through a bunch of options that might or might not be compatible with my car. I picked two, he tried to charge my card, and got some sort of back-end system error. Told me to try online later.

The online store does not clearly identify which packages work with my car--or, it claims to, but I don't see how to get the traffic info back. I picked one that clearly does apply, tried to checkout, and got the same error message.

Also these services are priced for one year with no apparent auto-renewal option, so I will have to go through this again next Feb.

At the end of the day I just want the functionality that I had last week back in the car, but it's not clear how or whether I can make that happen, or when I might get it. Which is really dumb.

So, just in case you thought the legacy automakers could do everything that Tesla can...no.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 10:54 PM   #46
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
So, a study in contrasts.

At the end of last year, Tesla decided to implement a charge for "Premium Connectivity," which gives you continued access to streaming music, traffic info, etc. There had been talk of this coming, so it wasn't a surprise. Tesla sent me an email, I clicked on the link, entered my cc info, done. Services never were interrupted. This could also be done through the Tesla app.

BMW apparently has a four year complimentary subscription to its "ConnectedDrive" services. When my car turned four the other day, the services stopped working. No email, no notice through the app, nothing. The app does not have a way to purchase the services, instead directing you to a phone number.

Today I called the number, and after a 20 min wait, the (nice) guy on the other end ran through a bunch of options that might or might not be compatible with my car. I picked two, he tried to charge my card, and got some sort of back-end system error. Told me to try online later.

The online store does not clearly identify which packages work with my car--or, it claims to, but I don't see how to get the traffic info back. I picked one that clearly does apply, tried to checkout, and got the same error message.

Also these services are priced for one year with no apparent auto-renewal option, so I will have to go through this again next Feb.

At the end of the day I just want the functionality that I had last week back in the car, but it's not clear how or whether I can make that happen, or when I might get it. Which is really dumb.

So, just in case you thought the legacy automakers could do everything that Tesla can...no.
Tech company that makes cars does tech thing well. Car company with spotty tech history can't turn tech trick. Ergo, Tesla is the better car company.

Did I hear this correctly?

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 02-29-2020, 11:09 PM   #47
JST

No. What I said was “ So, just in case you thought the legacy automakers could do everything that Tesla can...no.”

In a world where manufacturers are moving away from the legacy model of only interacting with their customers through franchised dealers, Tesla has the jump. Doesn’t mean they’re a better car company than BMW.

Tesla’s service model has its own points of friction, like the fact that almost everything is app based these days, which means if you have a simple request that doesn’t fit into one of the app buckets (like, do you have a new wheel in stock?), it’s hard af to get someone on the phone to answer the question.
Old 03-01-2020, 09:50 AM   #48
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
No. What I said was “ So, just in case you thought the legacy automakers could do everything that Tesla can...no.”

In a world where manufacturers are moving away from the legacy model of only interacting with their customers through franchised dealers, Tesla has the jump. Doesn’t mean they’re a better car company than BMW.

Tesla’s service model has its own points of friction, like the fact that almost everything is app based these days, which means if you have a simple request that doesn’t fit into one of the app buckets (like, do you have a new wheel in stock?), it’s hard af to get someone on the phone to answer the question.

Ha- yeah that sucks. I had to deal with Bmws online store at one point (can’t remember why) and remember it being a total cluster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 10:35 AM   #49
JST

I finally managed to get it to work after about a dozen separate attempts over a 6 hour period. Good job bmw!
Old 03-07-2020, 09:16 PM   #50
clyde
Chief title editor

Someone has to beta test Autopilot on the beach?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tesla-beach.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	12617  

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?