carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 09-30-2020, 08:27 AM   #131
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
I saw it. It's pretty good. But I suspect it will go for silly money, like over $50k and it's not even a desirable exterior color (but it's acceptable).
Black with black wheels isn't a look I'm a fan of but people do seem to go for it.

I think Boxsters and Caymans look better in brighter colors, personally.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 08:46 AM   #132
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Black with black wheels isn't a look I'm a fan of but people do seem to go for it.

I think Boxsters and Caymans look better in brighter colors, personally.
I agree 100%.

I was considering that black cheap one because it would have been a great deal. I would not spend premium dollars on a black or gray Boxster.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 11:58 AM   #133
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Horrible gearing again? keep neutering the boxster/cayman to not step on the 911 toes..

Quote:
This transmission would be a brilliant pairing for such an engaging engine if it weren’t for one thing: the gearing. It’s entirely too tall. At the top of second gear, you're already past 80 mph, which is obviously well past the speed limit virtually everywhere in this country. This engine wants to rev, you want to hear and feel it rev, yet to do so, you have to drive speeds that'll send you to jail … or require frequent trips to a race track. It's an imperfect pairing and one forced by the need to use an existing transmission, specifically the one from the 911 GT cars. And it’s a big enough problem that, manual diehard though I am, I would probably recommend getting a GTS with a PDK if and when it becomes available.
https://www.autoblog.com/2020/10/02/...gts-road-test/
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 01:25 PM   #134
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
If you're willing to go to spend at the $90 to 100k price point, presumably you could also gear down the final drive. The porsche factory LSD's, while nice to have, are not that special and seem not to stand up to heavy use/abuse. Why porsche continues this is mind-boggling... I'm guessing bean counting (existing parts) and emissions.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 01:44 PM   #135
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
Horrible gearing again? keep neutering the boxster/cayman to not step on the 911 toes..

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/10/02/...gts-road-test/
That said... A few things wrong with this review. These cars now rev to the mid-7's. Just because they can rev, doesn't mean you have to to enjoy them. There is no need to rev to redline. So you shift at 6.5k and closer to legal speeds. Big deal.

Noise. I've spent more than a decade in various boxsters and caymans (caymen?). The tire & road noise is the same (and about the same as a 911 FWIW). The engine noise is about the same but different, not clear to me that it's less in the cayman, it's just as or even more in the cabin with you with the fastback roof. Both have more engine noise than the 911. You'd expect less wind noise in the cayman, but both are very hushed in that regard. He seems to be extrapolating (hardtop -> less road&tire noise) without having driven the cayman (or long enough). IMHO, that's wrong.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 04:01 PM   #136
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Didn't get much info from dealer other than this report:

http://clients.automanager.com/scrip...7d9a2ecb8b2d61

And when asked to provide more, high-res photos of the car, I was pointed to here:

https://www.cincinnatiusedautosales....7d9a2ecb8b2d61

Which is hardly better than what was on Autotrader.

Question is, should I go for it and have them get it checked out the local Porsche dealer? They seemed amenable to doing that (at my expense, as I suggested).
Car is back, but now with a $20k asking price. I just got an email from the dealer telling me that "the car is back form the shop and available again."
Old 10-06-2020, 04:33 PM   #137
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Car is back, but now with a $20k asking price. I just got an email from the dealer telling me that "the car is back form the shop and available again."
Do you want it enough to pay the old asking price? If so you might take the angle of they offered it to you at that price and see if they stand by it

Edit, just looked at the link... $20k for 93k miles doesn't seem like a good move to me. I'd hold out and find something better
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 04:42 PM   #138
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
Do you want it enough to pay the old asking price? If so you might take the angle of they offered it to you at that price and see if they stand by it

Edit, just looked at the link... $20k for 93k miles doesn't seem like a good move to me. I'd hold out and find something better
Yeah, I'm not too enamored with it anymore.
Old 10-06-2020, 04:58 PM   #139
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Need a refresher again on how the car evolved when going from 987.x to 981.x generation.

Engines were the same or more power?

Chassis upgrades right? Must be.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 05:14 PM   #140
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
Need a refresher again on how the car evolved when going from 987.x to 981.x generation.

Engines were the same or more power?

Chassis upgrades right? Must be.
Biggest negative is the introduction of electric steering. Engine is the same with a bit more power.