carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 03-28-2022, 12:37 PM   #131
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate View Post
I'll add this...they had just parked it on the street and the headlights were still on. It's a really good look.
It certainly is different and one of the reasons I like it.

Last edited by SCA; 03-28-2022 at 01:22 PM.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 10:50 PM   #132
SCA
Jaded

Rivian R1T vs Ram TRX vs Ford Raptor vs GMC Syclone — drag racing the world's fastest pickups! America Truck Yeah! We assemble the four quickest production pickup trucks ever made in a 3-race debut of our newest show featuring automotive journalist Jason Cammisa.

https://youtu.be/acSdPy38XKU
Old 04-02-2022, 04:51 PM   #133
SCA
Jaded

The Smoking Tire: The Rivian R1T Does Everything Better Than Most Cars Do One Thing: Ultimate Triple Test! - 2 Takes https://youtu.be/KsrIGeeYmbs

Long watch…
Old 04-05-2022, 12:53 PM   #134
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
The Smoking Tire: The Rivian R1T Does Everything Better Than Most Cars Do One Thing: Ultimate Triple Test! - 2 Takes https://youtu.be/KsrIGeeYmbs

Long watch…
Impressive that Rivian managed to produce car with so many cool details and very good build quality right out of the gate. Makes you wonder why Tesla still struggles with build quality nearly a decade after the Model S was introduced...
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 01:03 PM   #135
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Impressive that Rivian managed to produce car with so many cool details and very good build quality right out of the gate. Makes you wonder why Tesla still struggles with build quality nearly a decade after the Model S was introduced...
Rivian is still having some teething issues, but nowhere nearly as bad as Tesla at the beginning nor as Tesla today. I have read of several recent deliveries were owners have received vehicles with multiple dents, body gap issues, trim fitment issues, and software bugs. Around 3000-3500 units have been delivered.
Old 04-05-2022, 05:39 PM   #136
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Rivian is still having some teething issues, but nowhere nearly as bad as Tesla at the beginning nor as Tesla today. I have read of several recent deliveries were owners have received vehicles with multiple dents, body gap issues, trim fitment issues, and software bugs. Around 3000-3500 units have been delivered.
Yep..just proves that the excuse of "they are a new car company" doesn't really hold water.
Old 04-05-2022, 05:59 PM   #137
Nick M3
Relic

The more Rivians I see, the uglier they look. I see them pretty regularly these days.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 06:27 PM   #138
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
The more Rivians I see, the uglier they look. I see them pretty regularly these days.
For some reason, I dont really have a reaction to the design either way. The headlights are a litte bizarre looking but other than that it kinda resembles a Tacoma...Then again, I've only seen maybe 5 in person so far
Old 04-05-2022, 06:29 PM   #139
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Quote:
Early Tesla build quality was actually very good. My early Model S was less than a year into production and only had a couple minor gap issues, plus a chip on the interior mirror (which was a frameless Volvo part - and the chip was in the edge).

The only horror stories I heard were production rushes ahead of quarter delivery. Anything built in the last 3 weeks of a quarter point were at risk of other issues though…. Tesla really needs to focus on even production, not surging at quarter points…
Old 04-05-2022, 07:53 PM   #140
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
My buddy Ken had an early model S. The quality was pretty bad. Lots of squeaks and rattles, and the sunroof showed globs of sealant around its interior frame. Then it consumed its drive unit. To Tesla's credit, they fixed it under warranty. He sold the car not long after.

My boss is still driving an early model S 60. It just ate its drive unit. They replaced it, and it's now making really bad sounds.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote