carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 10-04-2018, 12:11 PM   #11
Biggins
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 22 Tiguan, 11 328i
Congrats! Are you having any trouble with the decrease in trunk space and space overall?
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 03:48 PM   #12
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
I bought the only Macan Turbo that I could find that had both roof rails and a factory trailer hitch. It helped that it was priced well, was an acceptable color combination. I didn't test drive the air suspension before the purchase, but having tried it through a loaner now (car needed a more thorough detail but they really wanted to deliver it on the 29th, so I took it merely "washed"). I prefer the steel feel for sure (I'm sure I'm in the minority on this).

The "Turbo" is a pretty big thing. It's an amazing machine, feels very different from the base and even the S.

I think it's long enough for skis if it's just two people, roughly 3-series/a4 size with the seats down. I do have a ski holder, I will need the cross bars that would go between the rails and the ski rack.

Picking up after detail was nice as well, almost reliving the new car feel. I don't think I've been this excited about a purchase since the Boxster (which itself was a peak since the 06 Cayman that I bought new).
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 03:48 PM   #13
equ
Alphanumeric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggins View Post
Congrats! Are you having any trouble with the decrease in trunk space and space overall?
Not yet. We'll see...
Old 10-04-2018, 03:54 PM   #14
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
congrats again

it is nice driving a new car(or like) again, I have had two old cars in a row(1999 and 2001)
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:33 AM   #15
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Looks good. Especially without the blade things along the length of the vehicle.

A lot of happy Macan owners out there. Seems like a good bet.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:52 AM   #16
equ
Alphanumeric

I like the blade on the lighter colors, though over time paint and plastic may wear differently. I was thinking of wrapping mine in gloss black (to match the spoiler) keeping it reversible. Also needs a little light tint on the front side windows.

Put a few hundred miles on. Likes:
+ steering
+ seats
+ hard to believe grip on turns given the height (matches most sports sedans)
+ great power but very progressive throttle, so no surging
+ PDK
+ Reminds of the b7 rs4. Total power is similar but the delivery is lower in the rpm range. The suspension/steering of the rs4 was unmatched among Audis, but feels similarly tuned to the Mac turbo. Of course, no NA v8 soundtrack.
+ Quality build, no pips or squeaks.
+ Width. It's not as wide inside as the 5er or the Cayenne and that is a positive. Width is a negative in my tight area. The cabin feels just right up front.
+ Surprisingly good visibility, I expected worse from the rear.

Perhaps minuses:

- Feels a bit front heavy. I guess I'm crazy but I do feel the 55/45% not just because I read it. It doesn't affect steering with so much power going to the rear, but the car does feel on its nose at times with not as much heft in the back. So did the spectacular rs4.

- Feels short in two ways. One the wheelbase, so it's less like the 5er and more like a Golf R. Turny. Also interior could be longer. I was originally shopping for a Cayenne and bought this within a week of first test drive.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:49 AM   #17
BahnBaum
Tilting Rocinante

Seeing yours got me looking at them...

Alex
Old 10-09-2018, 12:32 PM   #18
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Fast SUVs and crossovers seem really silly to me, but I am clearly in the minority on that one.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 01:24 PM   #19
equ
Alphanumeric

I completely agree, John. I feel quite strange in a crossover, never expected to own one. Where are the fun to drive, long trip comfortable wagons with AWD that is not front-biased? I don't see any. Height does have a snow/ice advantage. I've paid for (or ignored) enough damage over the years.

I wasn't looking for something fast. I actually would have been happy with the v6 diesel engine in it. Was shopping for the Cayenne diesel, but the handling left me wondering... Among the Macans, the turbo had the best low end torque, most complete equipment, best engine sound and generally luxurious feel. So I ended up with something quite fast.

If I undid this purchase, I'd still be shopping for a Cayenne diesel or an f-pace. I didn't have unlimited time, so only drove the 4-cylinder f-pace. It is better in terms of length and weight distribution. But there are many things the Macan is better at. Porsche-ness, that feel of solidity, cabin details also snow grip (it turns out the f-pace does struggle a bit though in a good overly rwd way). But then you're in a jag with unknown depreciation even if I was going to overlook expected reliability. It is the "simpler" vehicle though.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:18 PM   #20
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
I completely agree, John. I feel quite strange in a crossover, never expected to own one. Where are the fun to drive, long trip comfortable wagons with AWD that is not front-biased? I don't see any. Height does have a snow/ice advantage. I've paid for (or ignored) enough damage over the years.

I wasn't looking for something fast. I actually would have been happy with the v6 diesel engine in it. Was shopping for the Cayenne diesel, but the handling left me wondering... Among the Macans, the turbo had the best low end torque, most complete equipment, best engine sound and generally luxurious feel. So I ended up with something quite fast.

If I undid this purchase, I'd still be shopping for a Cayenne diesel or an f-pace. I didn't have unlimited time, so only drove the 4-cylinder f-pace. It is better in terms of length and weight distribution. But there are many things the Macan is better at. Porsche-ness, that feel of solidity, cabin details also snow grip (it turns out the f-pace does struggle a bit though in a good overly rwd way). But then you're in a jag with unknown depreciation even if I was going to overlook expected reliability. It is the "simpler" vehicle though.

I tend to agree with John on this. But I got a Macan S as a loaner a month ago. It was fine. Seemed like a tall GTI to me. I still prefer the handling of the Cayenne.

That car was much slower than I thought though was the only drawback.

I expect this is solved with the Turbo engine. That likely makes it actually fun to drive.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote