carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > The Marketplace

Old 07-30-2018, 08:35 PM   #11
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Yeah, but it also comes with a non-fucked up rear window, so, you know.
I wrote that joke 3 different ways, then decided I couldn't go that to JST.

I don't see doing that upgrade. Too close... Particularly since Josh was thinking about dumping the car altogether.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:50 PM   #12
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Nice. Good luck on the sale

Interesting when I bought my Boxster S, the only one I looked at was stick and full leather (in a special order color too...). Found it literally on the second day of looking, and it was only 120 miles away.

For selling it, it was roughly the same age (an ‘08 sold in ‘13, so 7 year old car), and I got exactly what you are asking for yours (although mine had fewer miles — around 44k)

I know you’ve decided it’s time to move on. But you will miss this car. I still miss mine 5 years later. Great memories.

Last edited by ZBB; 07-30-2018 at 10:05 PM.
ZBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:02 PM   #13
Alan
Carmudgeon

Your ad looks great though I would add in there no accidents and original paint ... if it is ...
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 10:03 PM   #14
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
I don't see doing that upgrade. Too close... Particularly since Josh was thinking about dumping the car altogether.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 10:37 PM   #15
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Ha, yes on mileage. Plus it's pretty hard for me to get a solid bead on value for my car, but I'm guessing 23 or 24 is the best I could do. I'd love to have the 987.2 and the DFI engine, but it's hard for me to justify a c. 6-7K delta to get it.

I like the yellow, actually, though I will confess I like blue more.
Honestly, I'd say this would be completely worth it. It's not just the peace of mind, the engine is essentially the same from 2009 to 2016, that says something about how good it turned out. Revvy and fun...
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 07:56 AM   #16
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
AF, it has no accidents in its history but I'm fairly certain the front bumper was repainted before I bought it. It was completely devoid of stone chips and it hadn't had a clear bra on it. Other than that as far as I can tell it's an original paint car.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 12:16 PM   #17
rumatt
Mugwump

John, I would have thought your car was worth more than 30k. Is that because I'm used to looking at Caymans and they held a higher value?
Old 07-31-2018, 12:29 PM   #18
rumatt
Mugwump

Also, before you sell, do a road trip to New York so we can swap cars and compare them back to back.
Old 07-31-2018, 12:42 PM   #19
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
John, I would have thought your car was worth more than 30k. Is that because I'm used to looking at Caymans and they held a higher value?
It is really hard to tell what these things are worth. KBB said it was worth 22k-24k. That seems low, and I wouldn't sell it for that. I could not find anything remotely comparable on any of the major private sale forums. Maybe BaT is the right answer here, but I'm simply not in a position where I can be sitting all day responding to asinine comments on their message board, and that seems like the generally-accepted requirement.

It's got some mileage on it, and that really hurts its resale value, despite the fact that it's been very well cared for and is in close to perfect condition. And yes, Boxsters are worth less than a comparable Cayman.

I'm half tempted to take it to Carmax and see what number they throw at me. I'm guessing it'll be something really low (like "We're just going to send this to auction" low) but at least it would be a datapoint.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 06:19 PM   #20
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
It is really hard to tell what these things are worth. KBB said it was worth 22k-24k. That seems low, and I wouldn't sell it for that. I could not find anything remotely comparable on any of the major private sale forums. Maybe BaT is the right answer here, but I'm simply not in a position where I can be sitting all day responding to asinine comments on their message board, and that seems like the generally-accepted requirement.

It's got some mileage on it, and that really hurts its resale value, despite the fact that it's been very well cared for and is in close to perfect condition. And yes, Boxsters are worth less than a comparable Cayman.

I'm half tempted to take it to Carmax and see what number they throw at me. I'm guessing it'll be something really low (like "We're just going to send this to auction" low) but at least it would be a datapoint.
the part about dealing with online clowns is a key point.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote