carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 10-06-2018, 04:29 PM   #781
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
Wow still no word? Ugh. You still thinking it'll be totaled?

How was the acceleration on the AWD? Folks in the forums are saying it's fairly zippy but it feels throttled off the line.
Acceleration felt great and nice and smooth. The D is software limited (someone took delivery of a P without performance upgrades, but it didn't have the labeling on it, and Tesla did a config change remotely to turn on P!) -- but I can't tell.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it was totaled… I do not want a repaired car with the type of damage it took. If its not, i'm going to insist that the battery and entire rear drive train gets inspected. I don't want any risk of damage to any cells. The car was hit in the drivers side rear wheel and the was pushed off the road -- the left rear axel is bent, and could have messed up the motor (or at lease the reduction gears). The passenger side may have also been torqued when the car was pushed off the road (there was grass on the rear bumper…)

If its not totaled, I'll probably place an order anyway and then trade/sell the 3 after its repaired and pursue a diminished value claim (which the sale will help document)...
Old 10-07-2018, 06:39 AM   #782
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
Acceleration felt great and nice and smooth. The D is software limited (someone took delivery of a P without performance upgrades, but it didn't have the labeling on it, and Tesla did a config change remotely to turn on P!) -- but I can't tell.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it was totaled… I do not want a repaired car with the type of damage it took. If its not, i'm going to insist that the battery and entire rear drive train gets inspected. I don't want any risk of damage to any cells. The car was hit in the drivers side rear wheel and the was pushed off the road -- the left rear axel is bent, and could have messed up the motor (or at lease the reduction gears). The passenger side may have also been torqued when the car was pushed off the road (there was grass on the rear bumper…)

If its not totaled, I'll probably place an order anyway and then trade/sell the 3 after its repaired and pursue a diminished value claim (which the sale will help document)...
I’d be surprised if it isn’t totaled though i’m basing this on the car costing around $50k so I could be completely wrong if this is a much more expensive car

If it isn’t totaled which I think is unlikely I would consider taking the money from the insurance company and sell the vehicle to a salvage yard as is, repairing it and then selling it is not a good idea ...
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 06:13 PM   #783
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
Congrats all around for all you new 3 owners. Holy shit those things are fast!

I think I have finally grown old and set in my ways though. Grew up in the Midwest muscle cars gas and oil. I’m just not ready to let ice and real manuals go yet. I’ll probably be forced out of both by the market before I die so I want to get as much of it as I can now.

If I was in a multi car family i might think different.

I can appreciate them for what they are though. A techno marvel. =)
Old 10-07-2018, 08:27 PM   #784
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
I’d be surprised if it isn’t totaled though i’m basing this on the car costing around $50k so I could be completely wrong if this is a much more expensive car

If it isn’t totaled which I think is unlikely I would consider taking the money from the insurance company and sell the vehicle to a salvage yard as is, repairing it and then selling it is not a good idea ...
Sticker was $62k. Tesla has since raised prices, so the same config now costs $65,200...

We!ll see...
Old 10-07-2018, 09:25 PM   #785
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
Sticker was $62k. Tesla has since raised prices, so the same config now costs $65,200...

We!ll see...
Wasn't the 3 supposed to be the $30k everyman car?

Seems ridiculously expensive for a medium sized 4 door, ridiculous acceleration or not.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 09:45 PM   #786
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Add $10k if you got the performance version
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 10:06 PM   #787
JST

I mean, how much was Fernando’s M3?
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 11:12 PM   #788
JST

Week one update:

This remains a hilariously fun car to drive, especially compared to the Model S. It's tight and taut and well suspended, and holy fuck it just GOES when you get on it. The kids haven't stopped egging me on, in that regard.

The interior is pretty well thought out. It has map pockets! And water bottle holders in the doors! And coat hooks! And cup holders in a fold-down center armrest in the back!

These may not seem impressive but were all weirdly missing on the Model S.

The one-screen-to-rule-them-all thing is still a little annoying for things like the glovebox, but it's mostly easy to get used to.

Biggest gripe to date is the phone-as-key function. It works, for me, all the time. It has not worked for my wife at least twice. That's not a recipe for marital harmony.

Apparently this is a big enough issue across the fleet that there's a rumor that Tesla will make a key fob available for those that want to have one. Fingers crossed on that.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:13 PM   #789
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I mean, how much was Fernando’s M3?
Is it really comparable to the M3 in terms of paint, build quality, tactile feel, etc in addition to driving dynamics? What I've read says not at all [edit- including your post just above]. But I haven't been in or driven either. The M3's price also comes from the history of the brand. The 3 comes from a brand with a lot a promises from in a short period that from one man that are only partially realized.

The car is obviously worth what people are paying, because otherwise they wouldn't.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 11:26 PM   #790
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Is it really comparable to the M3 in terms of paint, build quality, tactile feel, etc in addition to driving dynamics? What I've read says not at all [edit- including your post just above]. But I haven't been in or driven either. The M3's price also comes from the history of the brand. The 3 comes from a brand with a lot a promises from in a short period that from one man that are only partially realized.

The car is obviously worth what people are paying, because otherwise they wouldn't.

I haven't driven a new M3. It's comparable to my E90 in those various categories (other than the key, which is dumb). Of course, the E90 has it's own...quirks. Ask Nick about those. Mine never ate an engine, but it wasn't exactly trouble-free--none of my BMWs have been. My guess is that the F80 will eventually be shown to have them, too.

The thing is, the Model 3 is one of the fastest accelerating 4 door cars in the world right now, while also being one of the most efficient. It's fun to drive in a way that Teslas haven't really been to date; the Model S was a big and satisfying car, but it wasn't fun in anything but a straight line.

What's that combination of attributes worth?

It's funny, I think the Model 3 Performance is something of a bargain, given its capabilities.