carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Keepin' it local

Old 02-14-2008, 12:26 PM   #41
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
Being pushed to the ground while resisting an officer is hardly "beating the shit out of you."
Ok, let's change it up a little:

Suppose you're driving through the south and you see the posted limit is 55 mph.

The road is a beautiful B road, twisty turns banked just right, some nice elevation changes - you get on it a bit and find you're exceeding the speed limit.

You get pulled over by a cop - you're clearly in the wrong, you decide to play it cool by being ultra-respectful.

However, you're in your BMW M3, the value of which probably exceeds this guy's yearly income - to make matters worse, you've got northern plates.

Let's load the dice even more - he's been served divorce papers the day before as his wife's leaving him for a guy who earns good coin.

He's teething with animosity.

How would you like and expect this cop to treat you?

Ed
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:35 PM   #42
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
I had a girl friend once who had a mother who would prattle on about the respect she deserved and how I was lacking in the proper attitude. Respect is earned and that particular person didn't deserve the respect I give the slime I scrape off my shoe.

Respect the badge? I used to. But every time I see a cop speeding for no reason other then there is nobody to tell them no, every time I see a cop run a stop sign or a red light, every time I see a police officer behave the way this one did for no apparent reason, I lose a little more respect for them. If the cops don't respect the law or thier oath to uphold it, why should I respect them?

And I will say again, I am unaware of any law that requires "respect" to be shown to officers. He should have just cited the kid.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:37 PM   #43
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
How would you like and expect this cop to treat you?
I don't know why it's so difficult for you to comprehend the difference between your ridiculous scenarios and the actual occurrence that is the topic of this conversation.

The kid should have been arrested and his parents fined, instead he got off easy with nothing more than a tongue lashing. Whaaaa poor kid.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:40 PM   #44
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
Bren, it's not about the kid. I don't know why you guys that think the kid "got less then he deserved" think that makes the cop's behavior ok.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:54 PM   #45
rautox
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: Phone book... or two
If the kid hadn't been successful in intentionally provoking the police, we wouldn't be talking about the cop's behavior.

Remember those other kids who were so smart that they provoked a tiger into ripping one of their throats out? I felt bad for the tiger.

Last edited by rautox; 02-14-2008 at 12:59 PM.
rautox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:58 PM   #46
ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rautox View Post
Remember those other kids who were so smart that they provoked a tiger into ripping one their throats out? I felt bad for the tiger.
+1

Of course, this is America, and the cat had to be put down. pisses me off.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 01:10 PM   #47
ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwg View Post
Bren, it's not about the kid. I don't know why you guys that think the kid "got less then he deserved" think that makes the cop's behavior ok.
Exactly. Now if a group of neighborhood adults wanted to walk down there and start throwing a fit at the skateboarders, I'd be OK with that. Seriously.

In our development we have a large skateboard park, and it's really quite nice. The kids use it all the time. And it successfully keeps them from using the public areas and sidewalks to skateboard. All without any public or police intervention. It seems to me that the best solution to the problem is to make these skate parks more available. And parental intervention.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:09 PM   #48
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff View Post
In our development we have a large skateboard park, and it's really quite nice. The kids use it all the time. And it successfully keeps them from using the public areas and sidewalks to skateboard. All without any public or police intervention. It seems to me that the best solution to the problem is to make these skate parks more available. And parental intervention.
There's a skateboard park 5 miles from my office, doesn't matter at all, the security guards are constantly running kids out of here. Over the summer an older lady had her leg broken as she was leaving the building when a kid pummeled her after he botched his trick.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 02:35 PM   #49
ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
There's a skateboard park 5 miles from my office, doesn't matter at all, the security guards are constantly running kids out of here.
For what reason?
Old 02-14-2008, 02:36 PM   #50
dan
redefined

For skateboarding where it's not allowed.
dan is offline   Reply With Quote