carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 10-25-2018, 09:26 AM   #901
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
You've had the car three days, right?

My guess is that the "annoying level of planning each night" will drop off pretty quickly. Get a couple extended drives under your belt and you'll find the solutions. Solutions for the daily stuff will become clear soon. Anxiety will ease and annoyance will lessen. Significantly.

Seems more like you're going through an adjustment phase rather than having a problem.

You know I'm not a Tesla fanboi, apologist, or anything of the sort, so...
Clyde is correct.

My recommendation is to charge to 90% and plug in every night. Let the car manage the battery. That should give you ~275 rated miles, and you should get close to rated range in commuting. Easily 250 actual miles. You may find that you don’t need to charge every night.

For road trips at highway speed, you will get less actual miles. It’s just physics. But you should be able to do that 180mile round trip and drive normally. You could always plug in for a few hours at your parents house — sure it’s slow, but an extra 10-12 miles might be all you need to erase your range anxiety.

Play around with one of the trip planning tools (I use evtripplanner.com), or use the car Nav to run some scenarios — it’s gotten very good in the last updates.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:29 AM   #902
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
No, there’s no RWD Performance. Tesla stopped offering high power RWD cars in late 2014, when the first P85D came out and replaced the P85.

There is an AWD and and AWD performance, and then there’s the Performance Upgrade Package, but the hardware differences between the PUP cars (or p3D+ as it’s sometimes called, even though Tesla doesn’t call it that) are probably not relevant to autocrossing. OTOH, if only P3D+ cars get “track mode,” that could be a big deal.

Re: range. Yes, planning gets easier as you get into the rhythm of it.
Tesla's "updating" existing cars is not going to mesh well with SCCA Solo classing/rulemaking. The two possibilities I see are the classing and rulemaking process advances into the 20th century or Tesla cars get buried to avoid upsetting apple carts.

I think one has a 1% or so chance of happening and the other about 99%.

Will probably only happen after a class gets really screwed up by it, Maybe DS drivers will be the lucky ones next year?

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 10:56 AM   #903
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
you should get close to rated range in commuting. Easily 250 actual miles. You may find that you don’t need to charge every night.

For road trips at highway speed, you will get less actual miles.
My commute *is* highway miles. I drove naturally this morning, not looking at the w/mile, but also not driving abnormally aggressively either. I was going 75-80mph at times.

At work I looked and the 27 mile trip averaged 369 w/mile. That's 211 range total for the full battery. Using 70% of the battery (85-15%) that's 147 miles total.

EDIT: I do go up and back down a decent sized hill on the commute.. But I do also go back down it. This isn't a 1-way hill climb.

It's the same commute and driving style where the e46 is averaging 26 MPG and the Colorado is 20 MPG

Last edited by rumatt; 10-25-2018 at 01:50 PM.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 12:19 PM   #904
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
Clyde is correct.

My recommendation is to charge to 90% and plug in every night. Let the car manage the battery. That should give you ~275 rated miles, and you should get close to rated range in commuting. Easily 250 actual miles. You may find that you don’t need to charge every night.

For road trips at highway speed, you will get less actual miles. It’s just physics. But you should be able to do that 180mile round trip and drive normally. You could always plug in for a few hours at your parents house — sure it’s slow, but an extra 10-12 miles might be all you need to erase your range anxiety.

Play around with one of the trip planning tools (I use evtripplanner.com), or use the car Nav to run some scenarios — it’s gotten very good in the last updates.

Wondering if the performance tires on rumatt's car end up significantly affecting the range compared to the non-performance Model 3s?
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 12:29 PM   #905
rumatt
Mugwump

Consensus seems to be it's the 20" wheels and the sticky tires.

They're great tires though. Tons of grip, quiet, comfortable....

I love driving the car.
Old 10-25-2018, 06:49 PM   #906
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
FSD doesn't actually exist yet, and even the hardware that they'll use for it doesn't exist yet. So it hasn't killed anyone yet.

It's interesting watching the screen on my car now that I have the v9 upgrade. I don't have autopilot, but the screen gives you a readout of what the car is seeing anyway. V9 has enhanced the car's ability to see and discriminate; it can now differentiate between cars and vans and SUVs and buses. It's...mostly right. It can also see on the side and rear of the car now, too (previously it didn't use the cameras for that, just the ultrasonic sensors). Again...it mostly works.

There's a long time between now and when it's ready for FSD, but presumably they're gathering a lot of data.

As for your "how many people have to die" question, the answer is "more than zero." People will die using FSD no matter how it's implemented. The real question is whether fewer people will die using FSD (or any other autonomous tech) than not. My guess is that the answer is yes, though I'd really like to make sure the (independently collected and verified) data bears that out.
A lot of good stuff in this thread

https://twitter.com/mtsw/status/1055137402803634181

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 10-25-2018, 07:12 PM   #907
rumatt
Mugwump

A. I like self checkout

B. Using Twitter to post long content.
Old 10-25-2018, 07:53 PM   #908
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
A. I like self checkout

B. Using Twitter to post long content.
I like self checkout, too. I hate the slow ass fucking imbeciles in front of me that I have to wait for.

But when it fucks up, no one dies or gets hurt, and the person overseeing it fixes it, eventually.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 10-25-2018, 08:15 PM   #909
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Twitter sucks hard, all around.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 08:21 PM   #910
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
My commute *is* highway miles. I drove naturally this morning, not looking at the w/mile, but also not driving abnormally aggressively either. I was going 75-80mph at times.

At work I looked and the 27 mile trip averaged 369 w/mile. That's 211 range total for the full battery. Using 70% of the battery (85-15%) that's 147 miles total.

EDIT: I do go up and back down a decent sized hill on the commute.. But I do also go back down it. This isn't a 1-way hill climb.

It's the same commute and driving style where the e46 is averaging 26 MPG and the Colorado is 20 MPG
What is the speed limit? Keep in mind that the air resistance impact on mileage is not linear — and once you are over 49, you really feel the impact. Try driving 5 over the limit one day to see what you get...

For uphill vs downhill, you will gain most of the lost range from going uphill when you head back downhill (easily 90%). In my S, the first Supercharger trip we took in early 2014 was up to the Grand Canyon, Our house in Scottsdale was 129 miles to the Supercharger in Flagstaff, but there was a 5000 foot elevation gain, We used 190 rated miles going uphill (mostly at the speed limit, the last 20 miles were at about 7-8 over) but only ~120 heading back downhill (at 5-8 over most of the way)...