carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 09-11-2009, 05:11 PM   #1
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
GM return policy

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/gm-...ion-guarantee/

Holy shite! Are they serious? What are the catches going to be? This could be perfect for my 60 days needs. Also I'm kind of cheap, I don't want to pay the mucho sales tax and fees that come with a new car purchase in NJ. But then again, how much could I possibly lose? And doesn't your sales tax get returned if you return any other item?

I don't even know where a GM dealer near me is though.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 05:16 PM   #2
equ
Alphanumeric

How's that CTS treating you ZBB? I might buy one if the return is free of catches.

[As a sidebar, what is going on in this country?]
Old 09-11-2009, 07:23 PM   #3
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
How's that CTS treating you ZBB? I might buy one if the return is free of catches.
I heard about this on the radio the other morning... I like your thinking on using it as an extended test drive during your wait...

The CTS is good... just got it washed today. I've had it for over a year now, and I still like it, however I have some small regrets in getting it instead of a 335 coupe (which was the other car I was looking at).

The problems with the CTS are a) its a fat pig and you can really feel the weight. b) the seats are just not very comfortable -- I still fiddle with them almost every day trying to find the right setting. I always feel like I'm riding on top of the car, rather than being cozied inside it. c) I have to put up with lousy GM service (it was in the shop 4 times in the first year, only once for an actual scheduled service).

But other than that, its a great car. It has about 15.5k miles on it so far (I have a 60 mile round trip commute). It drives very well -- you really can tell GM spent their time on the performance side.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:01 PM   #4
equ
Alphanumeric

You have the 3.6L, right? I guess it's like the only non-corvette GM that comes in a manual, so I may actually do it.

My gf thinks this is immoral, and she might be right... But hey, there is no sense or reason in anything these days. All sorts of benefits are extended for all sorts of reasons to all sorts of segments of society. I might cash out in my own little way by getting a free car for two months. I promise to treat it nice.

I wonder how bad the fine print will be.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:27 PM   #5
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
You have the 3.6L, right? I guess it's like the only non-corvette GM that comes in a manual, so I may actually do it.
I have the 3.6 DI... There is also a "plain" 3.6 with less HP. Both can be ordered with stick as a negative cost option. All the cars on the lot are essentially guaranteed to be slushies though (which is why I have a slushie).

If you do happen go to through with it and get a stick, I'd be interested in checking it out. I'll be in the NYC area for a few weeks just before and after Halloween...
Old 09-11-2009, 11:36 PM   #6
JST

I'm not sure the stick is even an option any more--I saw some chatter on jalopnik saying it wasn't, and the GM configurator seemed to confirm it.
JST is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:47 PM   #7
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I'm not sure the stick is even an option any more--I saw some chatter on jalopnik saying it wasn't, and the GM configurator seemed to confirm it.
Boooooooo!

What a bust.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 03:05 AM   #8
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
That program is gutsy. equ, if you take a car with no intention of keeping it even if you like it, you are despicable. Just my opinion, of course. But what you are thinking of doing is disgusting and pathetic. It's also stealing imo.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:14 AM   #9
equ
Alphanumeric

I'm not going to do it, but I guess I'm pretty evil as the thought crossed my mind.

Actually I'm also thinking of canceling my s4 order, but that's a separate matter.