carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 05-07-2014, 09:07 PM   #21
SCA
Jaded

'14 4Runner. As much as everyone bashes Toyota on the 'Mudge' my experience with Toyota over the past seven years has far exceeded any ownership experience I have had with BMW or Honda (Acura). The vehicle has only required gas and oil/filter changes ($45 @ the dealer) in 7 years. It gets me to point A & B and then back. The driving experience is moot... it is 'basic' transportation.

Last edited by SCA; 05-07-2014 at 11:01 PM.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:37 PM   #22
ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
'14 4Runner. As much as everyone bashes Toyota on the 'Mudge' my experience with Toyota over the past eight years has far exceeded any ownership experience I have had with BMW or Honda (Acura). The vehicle has only required gas and oil/filter changes ($45 @ the dealer) in 8 years. It gets me to point A & B and then back. The driving experience is moot... it is 'basic' transportation.
I'll be curious to hear your thoughts on the '14. The experience with our 08 4Runner was equally favorable. Quite literally, oil + gas + a new set of tires was all that it required in 65,000 miles of driving. Pretty ridiculous, when you think about it. Then we traded it in for about $5K less than we paid for it brand new (seriously), which baffled me. Sans the S2000, and all things considered, that was the best ownership experience that I've had.

Anyhow, the only thing that keeps me from seriously considering the new 4Runner as a future replacement for my wife's primary vehicle, is the lack of a V8 option. 4500 lbs seems like a lot of weight for a V6 to pull around. Though I assume it must be at least adequate, or you probably wouldn't have bought one.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:59 PM   #23
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff View Post
I'll be curious to hear your thoughts on the '14. The experience with our 08 4Runner was equally favorable. Quite literally, oil + gas + a new set of tires was all that it required in 65,000 miles of driving. Pretty ridiculous, when you think about it. Then we traded it in for about $5K less than we paid for it brand new (seriously), which baffled me. Sans the S2000, and all things considered, that was the best ownership experience that I've had.

Anyhow, the only thing that keeps me from seriously considering the new 4Runner as a future replacement for my wife's primary vehicle, is the lack of a V8 option. 4500 lbs seems like a lot of weight for a V6 to pull around. Though I assume it must be at least adequate, or you probably wouldn't have bought one.

ff, given what I paid for it new and what the buyer is purchasing it for nearly 7 years later, the loss is not substantial. No brainer not to purchase another one.

BTW, my '07 4R has the V6, I have never had any issues with towing & etc. A relative has an '05 V8. I have driven it multiple times, I am not impressed. Simply put, Meh... The V6 is enough.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:19 AM   #24
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
Simply put, Meh...
So, yeah, basically how one would describe any Toyota.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:06 AM   #25
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
The 4Runner is one of the vehicles that supposedly Toyota did a really good job with. I don't personally understand the point of them, but people who like them really like them.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:13 AM   #26
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
People really like the Camry too....
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:18 AM   #27
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
People really like the Camry too....
The 4Runner is also grounded to the ground, and has the sleekness.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:23 AM   #28
ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I don't personally understand the point of them
Not at all? Given that logic, one could just as easily say that they don't understand the point of any vehicle.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:11 PM   #29
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
Our Sienna (granted, not a 4-runner) needed an airbag system repair ($1800), catalytic converter replacement (about $800), a touch screen replacement ($2800 or $3800, can't remember which), very early belt replacement (caused by a sleeping squirrel in the engine and they didn't charge for squirrel removal, so I guess that was nice) and a few other odds and ends. Oh right, when we traded it in, I wasn't sure if the transmission was going to make it to the dealer. I think it had 117k miles. The extended warranty we luckily purchased covered most of it, thankfully. Regardless, I hardly see this as an ownership experience that would bring me back to a brand that sucks your soul out of your nose while you drive down the road.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:27 PM   #30
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Our Sienna (granted, not a 4-runner) needed an airbag system repair ($1800), catalytic converter replacement (about $800), a touch screen replacement ($2800 or $3800, can't remember which), very early belt replacement (caused by a sleeping squirrel in the engine and they didn't charge for squirrel removal, so I guess that was nice) and a few other odds and ends. Oh right, when we traded it in, I wasn't sure if the transmission was going to make it to the dealer. I think it had 117k miles. The extended warranty we luckily purchased covered most of it, thankfully. Regardless, I hardly see this as an ownership experience that would bring me back to a brand that sucks your soul out of your nose while you drive down the road.
Interesting... sounds a lot like a late model BMW. Guessing the Sienna is NA built & part sourced?