carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-26-2016, 12:41 PM   #1
JST

Chevrolet SS

Noticed a unicorn yesterday--Koons in Tyson's Corner has a manual SS, so I swung by this morning for a drive.

This is a really, really good car. Blank out the Chevy badges and you'd be hard pressed to identify its country of origin. It feels Germanic in the way it gets down the road, but not crappy new German--old school German. Honestly, it's the best BMW anyone builds right now, including (especially) BMW.

Steering feel is decent but not great; a little more talkative than the Tesla but not much.

Body control is excellent. I think they all have Magna Ride now, but whatever the tuning, it's well done.

Clutch take up is longish and surprisingly light. Combine that with a shifter that's...not vague, but fairly widely spaced and deliberate, and you have a recipe for shifts that take a moment to execute. Maybe this improves with practice, but I wasn't really banging through the gears. More like waaaah...pause...shift...pause...waaaah.

But IDGAF because it is a manual backing a big V8, which is awesome.

Also, no dead pedal. It would be nice to have, but see above about the Fs I do not give.

The engine? Oh, yes. Oh, it makes glorious sounds. On overrun it braps and crackles, which may get old at some point but made me cackle every time it happened on the drive. Torque is good down low but the engine actually likes to rev, at least a little. Unlike an E90 M3, you don't have to wind it out to have fun. It's got power where you want it.

Otherwise, the rest of the car feels pretty good. Interior materials are nice enough, with only a few cheap missteps. There's lots of room, and the seats aren't crazy well bolstered but they are pretty well suited to their mission.

I'm kind of in love with this car tbh. Everyone reading this should go buy one.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote