carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 08-30-2016, 05:47 PM   #1531
Alan
Carmudgeon

Does Tesla offer a 2 year lease ? I never thought of this car as a replacement for the 550 being that you could only buy it but if a short term lease was available I would definitely consider it ...
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 06:03 PM   #1532
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
Does Tesla offer a 2 year lease ? I never thought of this car as a replacement for the 550 being that you could only buy it but if a short term lease was available I would definitely consider it ...
Yes -- they are currently offering a 2-year lease as a trial. Through mid Sept...

If you are interested, here's my referral link -- will save you $1k...
http://ts.la/matt7103

Edit: There are are few posts over at TMC about some decent lease prices people are getting on Tesla inventory cars -- which Tesla commonly uses as loaners, so they may have a 3-4k miles on them, but have not been previously titled. Tesla discounts those, which works out favorably in the lease calc.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:14 PM   #1533
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
Tesla introduced two year leases, but they look pretty horrible. Their website lets you calculate money down and monthly payments, but doesn't tell you residual and other key details. It also looks like they might only leasing demo cars once they've hit a certain mileage. They're not being straightforward about residuals, looks like they're playing games with cap cost reduction (see "demo with miles"), glossing over details about how the fed tax credit works for leased vehicles, and including a nice chunk of fees.

Yes, they offer two year leases, but the real question is why would you?

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:45 PM   #1534
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Tesla introduced two year leases, but they look pretty horrible. Their website lets you calculate money down and monthly payments, but doesn't tell you residual and other key details. It also looks like they might only leasing demo cars once they've hit a certain mileage. They're not being straightforward about residuals, looks like they're playing games with cap cost reduction (see "demo with miles"), glossing over details about how the fed tax credit works for leased vehicles, and including a nice chunk of fees.

Yes, they offer two year leases, but the real question is why would you?
Agree- it seems hard to do worse than a Tesla lease. They basically run atleast 900/month for a base model 60 when you factor in the down payment, etc. Totally crazy. Makes Audi leases seem like a good idea.

The other annoying and ridiculous thing they do is require that you make a downpayment on a lease. I've never heard of that before. NEgates one of the benefits of leasing which is the gap insurance. If you make a hefty downpayment on a lease and it gets lost or stolen you're now out of that money.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 01:10 PM   #1535
JST

Have a service loaner for the weekend. It's an early car--VIN 4000, so probably a 2012? But it's an 85, and is essentially identically equipped to my car but for the wheels.

A few thoughts--it's only got 25K miles but is clearly more rattly than my car. Not sure if the difference is in build quality or just from different lives the cars have led.

It has the 21" wheels, along with a set of Pilot Sports, which have a noticeable impact on range. I'd say a 20 percent hit on the highway compared to my car? But, omg, they really do look good. Despite the range hit I might need to source a set.

It has some of the pre-decontent features, like the leather on the doors and fog lights. Missing folding mirrors and park distance control, though.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 04:23 PM   #1536
ZBB
Relic

Vin 4000 would be a dec 2012 or Jan 2013 delivery (most likely). Mine is in the 11k range and was a May 2013 build (and has the extra leather and lighting that was later made optional, but no parking sensors or folding mirrors). Just passed 60k miles about 2 weeks go.

My car has developed 2 rattles -- one sounds like it's coming from the passenger rear seat latch -- when that seat is down, it's gone. The other is intermittent and is from the dash. If i push the dash towards the windshield, it goes away for a day or two.
Old 10-19-2016, 10:18 PM   #1537
ZBB
Relic

Anyone following Tesla's announcement tonight?

Autopilot hardware updated. More cameras and updated sensors. Allows full self driving in a future software update by the end of 2017. Enhanced autopilot software is planned to be released in December.

Cost is now $5k for enhanced autopilot to be enabled, and another $3k for full self driving

Features will also make it to Model 3...
Old 10-19-2016, 11:48 PM   #1538
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
Anyone following Tesla's announcement tonight?

Autopilot hardware updated. More cameras and updated sensors. Allows full self driving in a future software update by the end of 2017. Enhanced autopilot software is planned to be released in December.

Cost is now $5k for enhanced autopilot to be enabled, and another $3k for full self driving

Woohoo! Elon's going to kill more people before anyone's willing to stop him.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 09:25 AM   #1539
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post

These are troubling choice of words.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 09:32 AM   #1540
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Ignoring the sketchy "black box" logging/data sharing issue - the plan to look at how autopilot and human actions differ in an accident will be pretty neat to see.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote