carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 07-25-2019, 04:55 PM   #31
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
I agree about the 718. Best looking Boxster so far.
I can agree with that.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 07:35 PM   #32
robg
Carmudgeon

So who's going to be the first...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
That is pretty cool ... where can you rent one of these ? Was this outside of NY ?

Was in LA from Enterprise. LA is great for car rentals - you can get prettt much anything and even the regular rental companies have cool cars. They had a Tesla 75D in the lot as well. And when I returned it, someone pulled in with an SRT challenger (which i’d also love to try). I like enterprise cause they let you pick your car from the lot - so I usually just book a regular midsize or full-size and then try and get a better car - sometimes they don’t bother charging more.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 06:23 PM   #33
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Did more thinking on this.

Porsche sent a blanket email to fan boi types (I am one) about the new Porsche RSR race car. It clearly states “engine ahead of rear axle”.

The reality is is probably be more likely to buy the next gen 911 which will be mid engined.

I still love the idea of a midship C8 though. But in my heart of hearts I know Porsche will get the details right whereas with the Chevy we all agree they might gloss over details that Porsche gets done correctly.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 07:46 AM   #34
John V
No more BMWs

It's basically impossible to buy a 911 for less than $100 grand these days. I think the base car's MSRP is $91k with no options, but essentially zero of those cars ever reach a dealership.

The C8 (even the Z51) plays in a different market.
Old 07-27-2019, 09:09 AM   #35
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
It's basically impossible to buy a 911 for less than $100 grand these days. I think the base car's MSRP is $91k with no options, but essentially zero of those cars ever reach a dealership.
If you get an allocation you can order whatever you want so if a base 911 with no options is what you desire then that is the way to get it. I ordered mine exactly how I wanted it.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 10:04 AM   #36
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
If you get an allocation you can order whatever you want so if a base 911 with no options is what you desire then that is the way to get it. I ordered mine exactly how I wanted it.

I haven’t looked in a while - what’s the most ridiculous thing that Porsche omits from the base 911? Keyless entry? Weirdly I think a nav system is standard.
Old 07-27-2019, 10:14 AM   #37
John V
No more BMWs

Quote:
Sure. But based on used-car searches, base, zero-option 911s and Boxsters simply do not exist.
Old 07-28-2019, 10:16 AM   #38
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Sure. But based on used-car searches, base, zero-option 911s and Boxsters simply do not exist.

Sure but most options depreciate to like 20% or less of their original price so there wouldn’t be much difference in price between a stripper 911 and one with 15k of options on the used market.

Probably even more true of most Porsche options since used buyers aren’t going to care that you paid 500 for red seat belts or 1000 to cover the steering column in leather.
Old 07-28-2019, 11:35 AM   #39
John V
No more BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Sure but most options depreciate to like 20% or less of their original price so there wouldn’t be much difference in price between a stripper 911 and one with 15k of options on the used market.

Probably even more true of most Porsche options since used buyers aren’t going to care that you paid 500 for red seat belts or 1000 to cover the steering column in leather.
Yep. But my point was that comparing a $70k (new) Z51 C8 to a $91k (new) base 911 that basically doesn't exist is kind of silly. Realistically, unless you really really want to order a base, stripper 911, the car you're going to find at a dealer will have $10k in options on it.

This all reminds me of a long-time buddy of mine who went to a BMW dealer to order the E46 M3 when it was announced. He spec'd it out with manual, cloth seats, no sunroof. No options at all. The dealer flat out would not order it for him. They were worried he'd bail on the sale and they'd be left with a stripper M3 they couldn't sell. I'd have to ask him the specifics but he had to put down a huge non-refundable deposit for them to place the order.
Old 07-28-2019, 08:51 PM   #40
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Yep. But my point was that comparing a $70k (new) Z51 C8 to a $91k (new) base 911 that basically doesn't exist is kind of silly. Realistically, unless you really really want to order a base, stripper 911, the car you're going to find at a dealer will have $10k in options on it.

This all reminds me of a long-time buddy of mine who went to a BMW dealer to order the E46 M3 when it was announced. He spec'd it out with manual, cloth seats, no sunroof. No options at all. The dealer flat out would not order it for him. They were worried he'd bail on the sale and they'd be left with a stripper M3 they couldn't sell. I'd have to ask him the specifics but he had to put down a huge non-refundable deposit for them to place the order.
And now that m3 spec that way is worth good money
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote