carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 01-15-2019, 09:05 AM   #21
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
So a good chunk of people are going to have to keep driving their perfectly capable luxury ICE vehicles for a few more years until charging solutions catch up with vehicle technology. And for some of these people it will be because they don't feel like cleaning out their garage.

Remind me why I'm supposed to get worked up over this?

PS The gap between horse and buggy and the first automobile is bigger than moving from an ice car to EV
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:41 AM   #22
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
So a good chunk of people are going to have to keep driving their perfectly capable luxury ICE vehicles for a few more years until charging solutions catch up with vehicle technology. And for some of these people it will be because they don't feel like cleaning out their garage.

Remind me why I'm supposed to get worked up over this?

PS The gap between horse and buggy and the first automobile is bigger than moving from an ice car to EV

Here’s a more practical question: where are you going to charge in Manhattan?

The suburban perspective is easy to consider.

Any situation where people live vertically, you have a space issue to charge cars. Even underground garaging. Even if you had a bank of 10 chargers you would swamp the system there with 20-25 EVs fighting to charge.

Petroleum is less good as a metaphor because fill-time here is so much longer.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:47 AM   #23
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
What about common battery platforms and charged battery swaps? Kind of like propane tanks for grills?
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 04:05 PM   #24
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
What about common battery platforms and charged battery swaps? Kind of like propane tanks for grills?
I like it, except the batteries are huge and heavy.

And they degrade over time, so you'd need a measure of "life left in the battery" before you swap. Like trading a new propane tank for a rusty, broken one.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 05:55 PM   #25
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Here you go, "Startup GBatteries claims it can charge an EV as fast as it takes to pump gas
They say their technology works with existing lithium batteries"

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/01/15/...fast-charging/
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 06:07 PM   #26
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Tesla experimented with battery swaps — one station along I-5 in central CA. It basically didn’t get used. Swaps took <5 min, but people preferred the Supercharger at the same location.

There was also a company in Israel that did battery leasing and had swapping stations, but they failed. Info here - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Better_Place_(company)
Old 01-15-2019, 08:08 PM   #27
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
Tesla experimented with battery swaps — one station along I-5 in central CA. It basically didn’t get used. Swaps took <5 min, but people preferred the Supercharger at the same location.

There was also a company in Israel that did battery leasing and had swapping stations, but they failed. Info here - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Better_Place_(company)
ZBB you reallllllllly should work for Tesla.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:24 PM   #28
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post

Let’s see how Porsche’s high amperage fast charging works.

How does this rate of charge do comparing to Tesla Supercharging?

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:31 PM   #29
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
Here’s a more practical question: where are you going to charge in Manhattan?
You bring up something very interesting and it made me think not about charging stations in Manhattan but more about gas stations ... in my 33+ years of driving and living in NY I don’t recall ever getting gas in the city ... I wouldn’t even know where there is a gas station if I needed gas (yeah I could ask Siri).

I did a quick google search and according to this link in 2016 there were only 32 gas stations in the city (the link is from 2017 but they reference a year ago)
https://consumerist.com/2017/07/19/t...-in-manhattan/

Anyway I would think garages would putin charging stations for their long term customers and it will be another source of income for them. It will make getting a fill up even easier then gas ... just my guess.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 02:59 AM   #30
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
You all really should go take a look at PlugShare to see where chargers are. There are several places to charge in Manhattan already...