carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Technical Superiority

Old 05-07-2017, 08:04 PM   #1
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Diagnose my clutch over the internet

I know I can't get a definitive answer on this without having someone who knows what they're doing "get in there," but I have to try and at least guess what's going on in order to know how and who I want to handle this.

For a few months now, though I've experienced no slipping per se, I've been concerned something with my 1M's clutch has just not been "right."

It was somewhat worse in the cold weather, so I thought maybe I was imagining things, but now I know I'm not.

The most noticeable manifestation of the problem is when starting from a stop in 1st. As I engage the clutch and lift the pedal through the bite point, there's often (though not always) a good bit of "judder" for lack of a better term -- it almost feels as if it's not two parallel planes coming together. Then, almost every time, there's a delay from when I've come up fully through the bite point and when the whole mechanism feels as if it has locked... at which point there's a delayed (not super harsh, but present) "thud" as the whole system is finally working together properly. I have not had any problems or signs of unusual behavior on any other shifts -- only when launching.

It's a lot like complaints I've read online about the so-called "CDV," but these symptoms are not inherent to the design of the car... I had none of these issues for the first 70,000 miles I've driven this thing.

I also don't think it's just routine clutch wear, or a result of abuse -- I'm really pretty gentle with my clutch. I've had several manual trans cars well over 100,000 miles and have never had any clutch issues at all, let alone having to replace one.

The working theory I'm leaning toward is a problem/failure with the dual mass flywheel springs. Do those of you more knowledgable than me think that's a viable theory? Could one or more springs be shot, and the "thud" I'm feeling be when one of the independently rotating pieces of the flywheel hits the physical stops built into the other half?

I want this fixed, but want it done right. I have what I think is a good indie guy, but don't know if I should take the leap to have him do this, or go pay the exorbitant rates to a dealership service department where I know it will be done "by the book."

Any insight or advice appreciated. Thanks!
Old 05-07-2017, 08:19 PM   #2
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Yes, it sounds like a dual mass issue.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 08:29 PM   #3
Plaz
•••••••

Thanks!
Old 05-07-2017, 08:30 PM   #4
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz View Post
I have what I think is a good indie guy, but don't know if I should take the leap to have him do this, or go pay the exorbitant rates to a dealership service department where I know it will be done "by the book."
Isn't a clutch and flywheel within the abilities of a decent indie guy?

Also, who is your decent indie guy? I don't really have one up here.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 08:47 PM   #5
Plaz
•••••••

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
Isn't a clutch and flywheel within the abilities of a decent indie guy?

Also, who is your decent indie guy? I don't really have one up here.
I guess, I'm just a little paranoid. I don't want this to turn into a multi-phase nightmare.

I use this guy: http://www.pinnaclemotorworks.com

I've only used him for routine maintenance stuff so far. But he seems to know what he's doing, doesn't try to sell me services I don't need (unlike every fucking dealership service dept), has been in business a long time, and has a lot of long-term customers with multiple BMWs, MBs, Porsches, and Audis.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:35 PM   #6
rumatt
Mugwump

Damn I had never heard of Stirling NJ. And I went to grad school in New Brunswick.

That stinks about the clutch issues though.

JV said the flywheel that came out of my E46 was in pretty good condition. You can have that one if you want it.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:44 PM   #7
John V
No more BMWs

So... I take that comment back. The springs on it are shot.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:54 PM   #8
rumatt
Mugwump

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
So... I take that comment back. The springs on it are shot.
Still might be better than Plaz's.

I did notice that my clutch would shudder sometimes, usually in reverse. I assumed that was more about the surface of the clutch plate though.

I'd be curious to see when I come get the car, if you haven't tossed it already.
Old 05-07-2017, 11:04 PM   #9
Nick M3
Relic

My general recommendation is give it an extra 500 revs before engagement. Any solution involves a new clutch assembly, so who cares if you use it up a little faster?

Edit: And I agree that it's most likely that the flywheel is failing to operate correctly. Stupid dial mass crap.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 07:45 AM   #10
John V
No more BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
Still might be better than Plaz's.

I did notice that my clutch would shudder sometimes, usually in reverse. I assumed that was more about the surface of the clutch plate though.

I'd be curious to see when I come get the car, if you haven't tossed it already.

I have all the parts, I don't think I threw anything away except old gaskets