carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 06-29-2017, 09:58 AM   #1
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Boxster Update

Has it really been three years since we bought this car? Well, not quite, but pretty close. The "Whoa" thread with the low-mileage 1M got me thinking. The Boxster just ticked over 60,000 miles. I've not been hesitant to drive this car, and though I generally don't take it out if it's raining or snowing, I did drive it a bit each of the last two winters because it's so much fun when the roads are a little slick.

I still really like this car, though it's not perfect. There is a persistent rattle that's been there since I picked it up. It sounds like a worn upper rear strut mount, as it's a rattle that only manifests itself on certain sharp bumps and it's much worse when it's cold outside, indicating a rubber bushing getting hard in the cold weather. The door latches need to be lubed pretty regularly or they creak a bit. I'd like a little more power (who wouldn't?) in the 3,000-4,000 RPM range (could be fixed with a little work, but Porsche parts are expensive). The fuel economy is honestly pretty poor. The lie-o-meter on the dash regularly says abetween 25 and 26 in my normal commute which tends to be backroads mixed with freeway. That translates to 23.5-24.5 hand calculated. Not great. But I'm picky and complaining about really minor stuff.

I haven't had to do any repairs to it. I did one "major" service to it right after buying it, which consists of an air filter, cabin filter, spark plugs, an oil change and a bunch of checks. It'll be due for that again in 20,000 miles. I've flushed the brake fluid every year. It needed rear brake pads at about 50,000 miles and will probably need front pads in another 5,000-10,000. I replaced the stock (awful) Goodyear tires with Conti DWs, 10mm wider than stock in front and maxed out the front camber. I did a little work to the shifter to eliminate the built-in slop which improved it greatly. And I did install a device to allow bluetooth audio, which honestly the car should have had from the factory.

I think the best thing I can say about the car is three years into ownership I'm not bored of it. I don't drive it to work every day, but every time I get into it I really enjoy the drive. Every control has such tactile purity and honest weight. The brake pedal is so consistent and linear. The throttle is smooth and linear, not initially numb followed by a sharp curve like most modern cars (BMW in particular). The steering filters out only the worst road irregularities and leaves in the useful feedback. It's always so easy to discern how much grip is available with these cars. The engine sound is something that the newer four cylinder stuff doesn't have a hope of living up to.

Driving it home on a winding road last night I was reminded how wonderfully balanced this car is. My Corvette was never that fun at 5/10ths or even 8/10ths. The Boxster is. And when you get a chance to get it close to the limit, even at low speeds, the chassis is alive. There is a nice semi-abandoned road between the gym and the highway home with a series of 30 MPH curves that reminds me why I love mid-engine cars. A lift off the throttle on corner entry and the whole car pivots around the center console. It's never enough to feel like the car will bite, it's just a reminder that the car is happier turning than it is going in a straight line. And yet, when I get to the highway, it is a perfectly comfortable freeway cruiser.

So, not a low-mile garage queen. When I eventually let this one go it'll have a pile of miles on it and I won't make a profit on it. But it'll have been worth it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boxster.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	3.22 MB
ID:	11344  

Last edited by John V; 06-29-2017 at 10:33 AM.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 10:25 AM   #2
JST

Nice. I'm interested in the rattle you report; mine may have the same thing.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 11:14 AM   #3
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Old 06-29-2017, 11:18 AM   #4
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC

Our 718 has many of the same pleasures. Just a superior car in nearly every way to the BMWs.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 05:54 PM   #5
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Driving it home on a winding road last night I was reminded how wonderfully balanced this car is. My Corvette was never that fun at 5/10ths or even 8/10ths. The Boxster is. And when you get a chance to get it close to the limit, even at low speeds, the chassis is alive. There is a nice semi-abandoned road between the gym and the highway home with a series of 30 MPH curves that reminds me why I love mid-engine cars. A lift off the throttle on corner entry and the whole car pivots around the center console. It's never enough to feel like the car will bite, it's just a reminder that the car is happier turning than it is going in a straight line. And yet, when I get to the highway, it is a perfectly comfortable freeway cruiser.
That reminded me a lot of my early experiences with the RX-8. Great feeling.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 06:10 PM   #6
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
I really do love my Miata and in particular how inexpensive it is to own, but as soon as I get a chance to upgrade it to a 2010+ Boxster S I won't hesitate.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 03:48 PM   #7
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
I think the 987.2 is the finest machine I have ever driven (and owned).

It is well built (cannot take this for granted) and has the correct punching weight (not too heavy) and enough power.

the more new cars get more dulled by electronics, the more i can appreciate this gen Boxster for what it is. It's fantastic. I like the styling of the 981 a fair bit more, but there is some joy in wringing the heck out of the small displacement flat six.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 03:53 PM   #8
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
nice review and glad you are still enjoying it.

Your gas mileage sounds pretty good to me 15.8 avg MPG in my turbo which is better than I thought, seems usually in the 14s when I fill up.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 07:47 PM   #9
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
nice review and glad you are still enjoying it.

Your gas mileage sounds pretty good to me 15.8 avg MPG in my turbo which is better than I thought, seems usually in the 14s when I fill up.
I was gonna say... I used to get 13mpg on my 987S. The 997TT did the same, but that included some time with the kids (otherwise it might be 10mpg).

I don't even bother with calculations for the Miata as it doesn't have a trip computer, but I would absolutely shocked if it cracked 20mpg.

Admittedly, in all cases it was 0% highway driving.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 07:36 AM   #10
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
I don't think I've ever seen lower than 18, and that was a day of ripping around mountain roads in PA between hiking desinations.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote