carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 06-18-2012, 10:13 PM   #31
Nick M3
Relic

I also saw a BRZ on the road today. Pearl white is not its color, though.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:49 PM   #32
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
I also saw a BRZ on the road today. Pearl white is not its color, though.
I saw a similar car the other day. Maybe the same car. Funny how wide and low it is, especially from the rear. And, yes, white is a terrible color. The overall shape and stance is pretty nice, but the details are sort of awful. Some other color would hide that better.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:56 AM   #33
kognito
older fart than ZBB

I saw a white BRZ a week ago in Marysville WA, and I saw a Scion same color as Biggins yesterday in my town.

Biggins bought a great color!
Old 06-19-2012, 12:01 PM   #34
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Cool car, bigs!
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:57 PM   #35
Biggins
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 22 Tiguan, 11 328i
A few more notes and impressions after a couple weeks of driving. I will finish the "break-in period" just in time for an autocross on Saturday.

The handling is excellent. I have not driven many sports cars, but I am ecstatic at how well it holds to the road even with these tires. I will find out more after dodging cones this weekend. It felt great on the backroads of WV last weekend.

I drove the 318 automatic to softball the other night and realized the truth behind what people have poked fun at how slow it is. I guess I am truly "fighting to merge" with the pedal all the way down in the 318. The Scion just has so much more power than I'm accustomed to from driving the BMW all these years. That said, it is not going to win many drag races. I'd guess I could get it 0-60 in under 7 seconds (the BMW would take 10). The surprise to me has been the gas mileage. Despite the usual traffic conditions in this area, I have averaged just under 32mpg since delivery during the break-in. I had been expecting mid-20s.

I have only two small dislikes: the dog does not love the car because she cannot seem to find a comfortable spot (front seat, back seat, even back with seat folded flat). I wish the driver's seat had a memory spot for when I need to access the rear seat. It takes me a minute or so to get the seat position right each time.

From the numbers I've seen online, it seem white is by FAR the most popular color for the FR-S because everyone loves that it has "pearl" in it. My logic was that if I'm driving a sports car, it's meant to be noticed. I still love the orange, and it definitely gets plenty of attention.
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:46 PM   #36
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggins View Post
A few more notes and impressions after a couple weeks of driving. I will finish the "break-in period" just in time for an autocross on Saturday.

The handling is excellent. I have not driven many sports cars, but I am ecstatic at how well it holds to the road even with these tires. I will find out more after dodging cones this weekend. It felt great on the backroads of WV last weekend.

I drove the 318 automatic to softball the other night and realized the truth behind what people have poked fun at how slow it is. I guess I am truly "fighting to merge" with the pedal all the way down in the 318. The Scion just has so much more power than I'm accustomed to from driving the BMW all these years. That said, it is not going to win many drag races. I'd guess I could get it 0-60 in under 7 seconds (the BMW would take 10). The surprise to me has been the gas mileage. Despite the usual traffic conditions in this area, I have averaged just under 32mpg since delivery during the break-in. I had been expecting mid-20s.

I have only two small dislikes: the dog does not love the car because she cannot seem to find a comfortable spot (front seat, back seat, even back with seat folded flat). I wish the driver's seat had a memory spot for when I need to access the rear seat. It takes me a minute or so to get the seat position right each time.

From the numbers I've seen online, it seem white is by FAR the most popular color for the FR-S because everyone loves that it has "pearl" in it. My logic was that if I'm driving a sports car, it's meant to be noticed. I still love the orange, and it definitely gets plenty of attention.
Pearl White = Pimpmobile. Not in a good way.

For all practical purposes, a 7 second 0-60 car is plenty fast. That's enough get-up-and-go for all but the most ruthlessly short onramps (Storrow Drive in Boston, Rte. 22 in central NJ, I'm looking at you two).

Glad you love it!
Old 06-19-2012, 04:27 PM   #37
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggins View Post
The surprise to me has been the gas mileage. Despite the usual traffic conditions in this area, I have averaged just under 32mpg since delivery during the break-in. I had been expecting mid-20s.
Between break in and the newness of the power to you, you're probably not hitting it hard at all. After it's broken in and you get more used to the power, you'll probably use more of it more often. When that happens, your MPG will fall, but who knows how much.

Is the 32 MPG figure calculated by your math or the car's computer? I've read that the car reports back with a super sized heaping of optimisim compared to pad and paper (just like most cars do).

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:57 PM   #38
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Is the 32 MPG figure calculated by your math or the car's computer? I've read that the car reports back with a super sized heaping of optimisim compared to pad and paper (just like most cars do).
I calculate my MPG but it seems like the car's ECU should be more accurate then gas station fuel pump Almost seems like car manufacturres purposely inflate the trip computer
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:05 PM   #39
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
I calculate my MPG but it seems like the car's ECU should be more accurate then gas station fuel pump Almost seems like car manufacturres purposely inflate the trip computer
The accuracy of pumps is a very big deal. If they are not dispensing what's shown on the meter, those responsible pay big fines if unintentional or pay big fines and go to jail if intentional. Fraud and theft are so easy and e erroneous so reliant on taxes the states take this quite seriously and vigorously enforce heir laws.

Car manufacturers want you to be happy and tell people how great your car is on gas.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:43 PM   #40
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
The accuracy of pumps is a very big deal. If they are not dispensing what's shown on the meter, those responsible pay big fines if unintentional or pay big fines and go to jail if intentional. Fraud and theft are so easy and e erroneous so reliant on taxes the states take this quite seriously and vigorously enforce heir laws.

Car manufacturers want you to be happy and tell people how great your car is on gas.
Guess I meant more about when the pump stops and the overflow room
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote