carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 03-24-2017, 11:30 AM   #11
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I'm not sure I agree with this. Our Mk VI Golf has more space in the backseat than our old M3 did. I know the F80 M3 is bigger than the E90, but the Mk VII GTI is bigger than our Mk VI, too. There is a reason that FWD cars are seen as being more efficient, from a packaging standpoint.

I'm kind of done with spending big money on cars like the M3. As FC points out, the extra performance is largely inaccessible in day-to-day driving, and for 5000 miles a year you're paying an awful lot in depreciation for very little driving. The GTI makes a lot more sense. If you want something a little lairier, a Focus RS might be an interesting choice.

I know the solution to everything seems to be "get a Tesla," but why not a Model 3? It splits the cost, and you're already used to owning an EV--the Model 3 will be substantially faster, more fun, and more capable than the eGolf. Plus it's different and interesting, whereas the M3 is just sort of...eh...I don't know. The same thing all over again.
I keep forgetting about the Tesla, but I am not sure about the timing. When is it due again? Oh wait, there are 247,984 people in line in front of me for one (I made up that number). I also miss shifting.

I do agree the MK7 is plenty roomy. Certainly ~E46 roomy.

Part of me thinks that the next gen M3 may be a nice one to have, but it could have way too many changes (hybrid? AWD? no stick? crazy heavy?). It's also 4-5 years into the future before I'd get one.

I do have about a year to ponder about this stuff.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 11:32 AM   #12
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
I'm kind of done with spending big money on cars like the M3. As FC points out, the extra performance is largely inaccessible in day-to-day driving, and for 5000 miles a year you're paying an awful lot in depreciation for very little driving. The GTI makes a lot more sense. If you want something a little lairier, a Focus RS might be an interesting choice.

I know the solution to everything seems to be "get a Tesla," but why not a Model 3? It splits the cost, and you're already used to owning an EV--the Model 3 will be substantially faster, more fun, and more capable than the eGolf. Plus it's different and interesting, whereas the M3 is just sort of...eh...I don't know. The same thing all over again.
Well, you've had two M3s and FC hasn't had one yet. Maybe it's a rite of passage?

I'm actually really happy with the 2, and couldn't fathom choking down the cost of a new M3 or M4. I would have to go 2 or so years used to rationalize it. Also, I drove the 440 convertible and it just wasn't much fun. The 2 still has a little hooligan in it, a la my E46 M3.

It's a shame they don't bring any of the four-door 2 variants over here.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 11:34 AM   #13
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Well, you've had two M3s and FC hasn't had one yet. Maybe it's a rite of passage?
There is definitely a bit of that.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:59 AM   #14
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
Quote:
Since when is there a 2 4 door??
Old 03-24-2017, 12:26 PM   #15
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
Since when is there a 2 4 door??
Active Tourer and Grand Tourer:
https://www.google.com/search?q=acti...lt-fphLTpgH9M:

And even better, an M140 5-door:
http://www.bmw.co.uk/en_GB/new-vehic...0i-5-door.html
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 12:32 PM   #16
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Quote:
Oooooh. I was thinking a formal sedan. I know there were rumors about it but just vaporware at this point.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:43 PM   #17
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
Oooooh. I was thinking a formal sedan. I know there were rumors about it but just vaporware at this point.
There is a China market only 1 series sedan as well. I wish the 1 hatch was here.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 01:18 PM   #18
JST

Quote:

I'm actually really happy with the 2, and couldn't fathom choking down the cost of a new M3 or M4. I would have to go 2 or so years used to rationalize it. Also, I drove the 440 convertible and it just wasn't much fun. The 2 still has a little hooligan in it, a la my E46 M3.

I've had three, actually. But yeah, I get that. It's the same thing that keeps me jonesing for a 911 even though there's no rational reason to buy one.

Re: Tesla Model 3--I suspect that, waiting lists aside, by late 2018 you'll be able to get one without much trouble. But even a CPO Model S might fit your bill.

Here is a production-ready Model 3. Full scale production is supposed to start in June.

http://jalopnik.com/heres-tesla-mode...und-1793607211
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 01:24 PM   #19
Theo
Crazy Old Man

I still can't get on board. I guess I'm to old school wanting to hear and feel the car. Sound is a huge part of my driving delight and experience.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:31 PM   #20
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
I've had three, actually. But yeah, I get that. It's the same thing that keeps me jonesing for a 911 even though there's no rational reason to buy one.

Re: Tesla Model 3--I suspect that, waiting lists aside, by late 2018 you'll be able to get one without much trouble. But even a CPO Model S might fit your bill.

Here is a production-ready Model 3. Full scale production is supposed to start in June.

http://jalopnik.com/heres-tesla-mode...und-1793607211
Cool Thanks.

Some things that give me pause about the Model 3:

-Isn't it a PITA to deal with bodywork?
-It will be early in the production cycle. Admittedly they learned a lot from the Model S (you'd think), but still.
-My wife is still uneasy about having only one car that has "unlimited" range. Yes, the Model 3 dwarfs the eGolf in terms of range, plus superchargers and all that. But as the kids are older now, the M3 could take her/us to Montreal in comfort for a weekend instead of having t take up the LR4, or in a pinch if the LR4 is not available.
-I'm not in love with the Tesla design language. It's sleek, but not awesome.
-I feel I'll have a lifetime of hybrid or electric cars. Do I want to pass up one of the last good 6MT, IC sedans?

That said, given my commute and the amount of short drives, for all the reasons we like the eGolf, a Tesla would be great. Also, drama-free, awesome acceleration is fun. And I love not having to warm up, etc., etc.

I'd have to see and drive one. I am lucky to have a Tesla dealership ~3 miles from home.