carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 02-25-2019, 04:26 PM   #111
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Rob, that's exactly what I'd be looking for (and what VAG has had since 2009 MY). 2019 is the new generation, not the F30, so no manual.

I'd love to leave steering in sport in all modes but be able to moderate the dampers for our horrible in town roads. Audi's 'dynamic' steering was actually not that good. Especially not on the S4. In this car, I definitely prefer 'sport' steering that locks me into the firmer ride. The rev matching is of secondary importance to me. Somehow my driving has adapted to matching and not matching since the GT4, I don't really care deeply (but I only have a 100 miles or so on this car).
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 04:31 PM   #112
equ
Alphanumeric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
or you can have the m2 which only disables it with traction control completely off

I figured they would of fixed that on the m2 comp but did not. Seems easy enough to add a setting in the idrive and tied to the m buttons.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Nice looking car equ
Thank you! Even with the "track handling package", it drives softer than the ferocious facade indicates. A good daily and hopefully a good trip car.

It's hard to get AWD & Manual. It's great to pair it with an inline six and rear bias (though I still think xdrive is a hack and weak sauce). Bmw vs. audi or subaru.. AWD system vs. other attributes.. No spare vs. roof rack mounts.... All trade-offs.
Old 02-25-2019, 04:40 PM   #113
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Rob, that's exactly what I'd be looking for (and what VAG has had since 2009 MY). 2019 is the new generation, not the F30, so no manual.

I'd love to leave steering in sport in all modes but be able to moderate the dampers for our horrible in town roads. Audi's 'dynamic' steering was actually not that good. Especially not on the S4. In this car, I definitely prefer 'sport' steering that locks me into the firmer ride. The rev matching is of secondary importance to me. Somehow my driving has adapted to matching and not matching since the GT4, I don't really care deeply (but I only have a 100 miles or so on this car).
I know- it's crazy that VAG has had it for so long and BMW did nothing. Yeah- that screen shot is actually from a 5 series. What would give hope for you is that the loaner x3 i had a similar screen (and was also a no-nav car with the small screen). Granted it's a newer gen than your car, but its possible that underlying hardware for the non-nav cars is the same as yours. For the nav F30s, I think BMW switched to their so-called "NBT Evo" hardware from 2016 which is what they still use in the 5 series and x3. I'm not really up on the non-nav hardware gens. But, it could just be a matter of getting the software updated (just say you have a bluetooth issue or something) and doing some coding to enable it. Worth a try.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 04:45 PM   #114
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
My 2017 2 series has an option for adjusting chassis and/or transmission. I'll take a photo.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 04:49 PM   #115
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
My 2017 2 series has an option for adjusting chassis and/or transmission. I'll take a photo.
Yeah but if its like my 2017, they bundled suspension/steering under "Chassis" and transmission/throttle" under "Drivetrain". Equ wants to configure the suspension and steering separately which they finally implemented in 2018 models as "Sport Individual".
Old 02-25-2019, 04:54 PM   #116
equ
Alphanumeric

Rob, you mean 2019. I believe 2018 is the same as my car.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 02-25-2019, 04:56 PM   #117
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Rob, you mean 2019. I believe 2018 is the same as my car.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Sorry - yes.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:43 PM   #118
equ
Alphanumeric

Just took it out for a short drive... I think I'm going to come to terms with dropping the 5. The handling of this car is lighter, smoother and the body feels insubstantial whilst the drivetrain does. The 5 generates almost the same grip, but with massive 19" tires at 245 front and 275 rear and with trick sway bars (that connect and disconnect dynamically). This car feels more old school. More fingertips somehow, but more connected on the seat of the pants.

That and the lesser tech, I feel less dreamy/distracted driving it, in a good way.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:41 PM   #119
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Yeah but if its like my 2017, they bundled suspension/steering under "Chassis" and transmission/throttle" under "Drivetrain". Equ wants to configure the suspension and steering separately which they finally implemented in 2018 models as "Sport Individual".
Yes bmw really gave us options ... my 540 has 4 different options to configure it in individual mode ...

Plus they gave the settings each an extra option unlike Audi ... Audi gives you comfortt and sport for each setting, bmw gives you comfort, sport and sport plus so you can really configure the car the way you want it for each of the 4 different option settings.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:50 PM   #120
robg
Carmudgeon

Consolidating? 340i AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
Yes bmw really gave us options ... my 540 has 4 different options to configure it in individual mode ...

Plus they gave the settings each an extra option unlike Audi ... Audi gives you comfortt and sport for each setting, bmw gives you comfort, sport and sport plus so you can really configure the car the way you want it for each of the 4 different option settings.

That’s cool - I don’t have sport+ on my current x3 but on my f10 I remember it just affected the transmission shift behavior. What does sport+ do to the steering on your car - does it make it heavier than sport mode?