carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 06-19-2012, 11:59 PM   #41
Biggins
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 22 Tiguan, 11 328i
The 32mpg figure was from the computer, but I did do the math on my second fill-up which equated to ~31.2mpg over 310 miles of varied driving. The fact that I know I can get ~30 or more on the highway is great though... but I didn't buy this car for its mpg's.

One other slight annoyance is trying to explain to everyone I meet that I didn't buy the "toaster" Scion, it's not a tC, and it's really a Subaru designed by Toyota but sold as a Scion.
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:59 PM   #42
clyde
Chief title editor

(aside... iPad typist with auto Robert and a little alcohol makes for some funnies...sorry)

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:04 AM   #43
Pinecone
Carmudgeon

In car mileage is based on counting and timing fuel injector on times. And since the injectors are not actually calibrated, there is some error, but a small error over how many pulses, is a reasonable error.

The gas pumps are accurate to less than an ounce in 5 gallons.
1995 Alpine E36 M3 LTW
1990 Red/White Spec Racer
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:59 AM   #44
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
In car mileage is based on counting and timing fuel injector on times. And since the injectors are not actually calibrated, there is some error, but a small error over how many pulses, is a reasonable error.
Terry,

Are you sure about this?? I have never played inside an automobile ECM, but I have been inside the ECM of my old Volvo truck countless times. Heck, one of my laptops was connected to the ECM when ever I was driving more than 10 miles.

All of the injectors on my Cummins ISX motor were stamped with calibration numbers, and if those calibration numbers weren't set in the ECM, (cylinder by cylinder) the engine ran like crap!
Old 06-21-2012, 04:25 PM   #45
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	592
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	7700  
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:19 AM   #46
Pinecone
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
Terry,

Are you sure about this?? I have never played inside an automobile ECM, but I have been inside the ECM of my old Volvo truck countless times. Heck, one of my laptops was connected to the ECM when ever I was driving more than 10 miles.

All of the injectors on my Cummins ISX motor were stamped with calibration numbers, and if those calibration numbers weren't set in the ECM, (cylinder by cylinder) the engine ran like crap!
Maybe on a Cummins. But you can swap injectors on most cars, even to a high flow injector, without telling the ECU. They run better if the ECU is flashed, telling it you have high flow injectors.
1995 Alpine E36 M3 LTW
1990 Red/White Spec Racer
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:06 PM   #47
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
saw my first FR-S parked next to my office. Lower then I expected, hood seemed to come up to my wait, easy wash. Looks low,wide,compact and aggressive to me. Seats are look 911 useless but still glad they are there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1861 (Medium).JPG
Views:	295
Size:	223.0 KB
ID:	7723  
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:07 PM   #48
lupinsea
Jeeped

Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata
One drove past my office the other day. I didn't have much reaction to it other than I studied it as it went past trying to take it in. I saw a second one a few days after that on the back of a flat bed trailer being towed by a pick-up truck. Not sure what that was about, maybe taking the car to / from a race prep shop?

"Jeep is the only true American sports car*" - Enzo Ferrari

* Or something to that effect.
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:25 PM   #49
Biggins
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 22 Tiguan, 11 328i
Another update while I'm on here...

The tires are hilariously AWFUL for autocross. Perhaps because I am accustomed to better tires, but the tires make it a drift machine with all the assists turned off. I definitely need to relearn my technique with this car. I only had four autocross runs, but my concerning factor so far is that the oversteer is very fun but quite unpredictable at the limit. I spun three times and definitely did not have confidence in the car yet. I hope to do another 2-3 events on these terrible tires before upgrading to some lightweight wheels and stickier tires.

The car still gets plenty of attention everywhere I go. I'm not used to this, but I do like it... for now.
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:17 AM   #50
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
That car looks like a lot of fun! It will be better without prius tires just like the Z4 will be better without runflats.

Fwiw, the gas mileage computer on the Z4 is spot on when compared with a calculation of miles/gallons. I know this b/c I check it every tank in a ridiculously compulsive manner. Which for me is about every 4 days (but only for the next 13 days).
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote