carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 02-27-2015, 09:56 AM   #1141
BahnBaum
Tilting Rocinante

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
Wow, that's pretty exciting. Does he know what he's going to be working on yet?
He has no idea what he's going to be doing, except that he's going to be the junior guy on a team of engineers. He was told that he'll find out the specific project when he reports in June, and he was told that he likely won't be able to tell anyone what he's working on. I don't think that really implies anything special, it sounds like that might be SOP for an engineer with them.

Alex
Old 02-27-2015, 10:26 AM   #1142
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BahnBaum View Post
He has no idea what he's going to be doing, except that he's going to be the junior guy on a team of engineers. He was told that he'll find out the specific project when he reports in June, and he was told that he likely won't be able to tell anyone what he's working on. I don't think that really implies anything special, it sounds like that might be SOP for an engineer with them.

Alex
Cool. My young cousin works there.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 12:25 PM   #1143
JST

I test drove the P85D today. The acceleration on launch is, indeed, insane. I've never driven a car that requires as much involuntary core tensing as this one does--it's like a Pilates workout.

From a roll, the difference is less pronounced. It's still hugely fast, but the marquis, punishing acceleration is most evident when you jump on it from a stop (or a very slow trot).

In a snowy parking lot, the AWD behaved just about as well as you'd expect with summer tires, ie, not well, but probably better than RWD.

Interestingly, the biggest difference in around town driving was in regen, which slows the car noticeably more than in my car.

The car I was in was making some weird and ominous clunking clicking sounds from the front motor. The Tesla guy didn't seem to think they were a problem, but it didn't sound normal to me.

The next generation seats are so awesome that they may be worth the upgrade by themselves.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 01:50 PM   #1144
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Would you lease another Tesla? Or are you inclined to go back to a conventional car next?
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 02:09 PM   #1145
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
FYI - next gen seats are avail as an option on all models now -- not just P85D.

I just hit 32.5k miles in mine, in slightly over 21 months. This is the first car I think I'll keep more than 4 years, and the only other car I'd want would be a newer Model S or perhaps a Model III once avail...
Old 03-08-2015, 02:23 PM   #1146
JST

I'd get another one without hesitation, mostly because I can't think of a conventional car that would come close to comparing.

If they still made the RWD P, that's what I'd get next. I don't really want AWD, though, so it's either keep what I've got or wait until they actually launch their CPO program.
Old 03-08-2015, 02:25 PM   #1147
ZBB
Relic

Would you keep yours longer than the 39 month buy-back option you have?

Seems like the intro of the D has bumped resale down a bit, but I wonder if that is a short term thing...
Old 03-08-2015, 02:36 PM   #1148
JST

We'll have to see. I've become much more mellow when it comes to car flipping in my dotage. The biggest variables are a) whether there is any killer new feature debuted (I don't give a shit about autopilot), and b) how the battery is holding up.

Actually, there's a c--I can't see owning this car out of warranty until Tesla figures out aftermarket support. 36-40 months is probably the right time to dump it pre-warranty expiration.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:33 PM   #1149
ZBB
Relic

Well... I'm 2/3 of the way through my warranty and will likely hit 50k miles just before 36 months. I'm considering buying Tesla's extended warranty. Kind of pissed at myself for not buying it at the original price -- its now $4k, and was ~$2500 or $2600 when I took delivery (bumped up ~Jul 1 2013...).

My options are:
1) take my luck after 50k miles and hope nothing major happens
2) buy the warranty for $4k -- if I do, I'll keep the car for close to 100k miles
3) Get a new car about then...
Old 03-10-2015, 11:03 AM   #1150
JST

I've had worse service loaners.