carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 08-11-2017, 11:31 PM   #31
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
No, read it in an article so looked it up on audiusa. The reason is what Nick stated above.
I read it in a review as well and figured they were quoting audi's website when describing the Audi dynamic package (or whatever it is called).

Looking at the car in the article it looks like the rear wheels have a lower profile than the fronts.

I would be really surprised to find out Audi which typically on there S models are rear wheel bias had wider and lower profile front wheels.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 12:36 AM   #32
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
I read it in a review as well and figured they were quoting audi's website when describing the Audi dynamic package (or whatever it is called).

Looking at the car in the article it looks like the rear wheels have a lower profile than the fronts.

I would be really surprised to find out Audi which typically on there S models are rear wheel bias had wider and lower profile front wheels.
RS3 has a transverse engine with haldex awd like golf r so fwd biased. S4 has a longitudinal engine with rear biased awd*.

*not sure about the latest one. Might have ultra Quattro.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:07 AM   #33
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
RS3 has a transverse engine with haldex awd like golf r so fwd biased. S4 has a longitudinal engine with rear biased awd*.

*not sure about the latest one. Might have ultra Quattro.
So you think it's not a typo ? That is going to look really strange with wider lower profile tires on the front
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 11:19 AM   #34
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
It's only like 5mm of sidewall height difference. I doubt you'll notice
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 05:44 PM   #35
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
The Golf R & RS3 are mechanical twins. The RS3 has the Audi badge (which is something, e.g. potentially better dealership experience). The Golf R has a better price, a manual option and arguably better practicality. I'm not sure I get why three-box form is so necessary, but you may prefer the looks, or too many hatchbacks in the family or???
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 06:57 PM   #36
JST

Wait, I think it's the S3 that's the mechanical twin of the R. The RS3 has the more powerful 5 cylinder turbo.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:40 PM   #37
equ
Alphanumeric

Oh sorry, my bad. True on the S3. Which I drove when it first launched prior to my S4 purchase. RS3 must be in a different league (as is the M3).

Carry on.

(P.S. I still think Golf R or APR tuned GTI are sweet spots - especially if you are willing to be in a front-based car)
Old 08-14-2017, 10:53 AM   #38
equ
Alphanumeric

I should lose my 'mudgeons card if I'm mixing up RS3 and S3. To be honest, I'm hardly following these newest hi-po models, they're not of much interest to me.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:28 AM   #39
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Well, the news today of the M3 loosing its CF shaft really bothers me.

https://www.autoblog.com/2017/08/11/...r-driveshafts/

Frankly, and I know this is stupid, I'm probably putting WAY too much weight on the ED part of the purchase. As I mentioned on my previous waffling thread, I should just get a GTI/R and be done with it.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:34 AM   #40
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
I should lose my 'mudgeons card if I'm mixing up RS3 and S3. To be honest, I'm hardly following these newest hi-po models, they're not of much interest to me.
I'm with you. I can't be bothered to follow what is coming out. I can't seem to connect with anything. Maybe I just like the stuff I have too much.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote