carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > The Marketplace

Old 05-05-2016, 11:42 AM   #11
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Wait, let me understand this... Do you think a spare from a 996 turbo can work on a 981/991? If so, I should keep mine. I thought it would be way too short, even for the front. Just measured it, comes out to 25". Calculation of 105/90-17 yields 24.5".

The 981/991 front is 26.5". Or do you have the collapsible one?
my turbo spare doesn’t look like that, it seems to be collapsed like AF mentioned.

I am up for the front plate holder if JV backs out
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 01:13 PM   #12
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
I'm definitely not backing out - two years with no front plate on this car is probably pushing my luck, even though I never run across any police around here. I just had a hard time paying money to ugly up the front of the car
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 01:58 PM   #13
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
I shipped them this morning. So not even possible .
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:45 PM   #14
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I'm definitely not backing out - two years with no front plate on this car is probably pushing my luck, even though I never run across any police around here. I just had a hard time paying money to ugly up the front of the car
One nice thing about Georgia: No front license plate. Because we ordered the new X5 here, they didn't drill holes in the front to put that hunk of plastic on that holds the plate.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:53 PM   #15
zach
swinging for the fences

Carmudgeonly Ride: 987, X7 M60i, e36 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
One nice thing about Georgia: No front license plate. Because we ordered the new X5 here, they didn't drill holes in the front to put that hunk of plastic on that holds the plate.
Did you get it yet?
zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 04:09 PM   #16
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach View Post
Did you get it yet?
Yep. Spouse loves it. LOVES it. But I've only driven it once. Hence, no reviews.
Old 05-05-2016, 04:15 PM   #17
zach
swinging for the fences

Carmudgeonly Ride: 987, X7 M60i, e36 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Yep. Spouse loves it. LOVES it. But I've only driven it once. Hence, no reviews.
Awesome. I look forward to an eventual review. I thought I had found a nice 2015 CPO X5 50i in Indianapolis the other day, but it turns out it has a bunch of aftermarket shit on it so I passed. Still looking.

Sorry for the hijack!
zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 05:07 PM   #18
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach View Post
Awesome. I look forward to an eventual review. I thought I had found a nice 2015 CPO X5 50i in Indianapolis the other day, but it turns out it has a bunch of aftermarket shit on it so I passed. Still looking.

Sorry for the hijack!
Woof. Good luck with the hunt. Sorry, Equ!
Old 05-05-2016, 09:31 PM   #19
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I still can't believe I never had an issue in three years of no front tag on the RX-8, even spending two years all stickered up, little borla muffler and most of it with a yellow front bumper that basically screamed, "Hey, Johnny Law, lookie here! No front tag! Whatchagonnado?"

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 12:12 AM   #20
Terri Kennedy
There and back again

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2003 BMW 325xiT; looking for a new fun car
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
I still can't believe I never had an issue in three years of no front tag on the RX-8, even spending two years all stickered up, little borla muffler and most of it with a yellow front bumper that basically screamed, "Hey, Johnny Law, lookie here! No front tag! Whatchagonnado?"
In 7+ years, 34K+ miles, through most states in the continental US, I was pulled over twice* in the Atom. Once was outside LA, because it had an Oregon temp tag on it (it was on my first trip), and apparently there (is/was) no interstate lookup for temp tags. At least that's what they said - I think they just wanted to see what it was and chat for a while. After about 15 minutes, their dispatcher called and yelled at them to wrap it up because traffic was backing up from rubbernecking. The second time was in Butler, NJ when the cop (a kid less than half my age) mis-read the plate. By the time he got out of his car and walked up to me, he was all "I'm sorry, sir - I shouldn't have pulled you over. My mistake. Have a good day." And the Atom pretty much defines "look at me", particularly when I left the numbers and other stickers on it for the last few years.

* There was another time that doesn't count, as I was already sitting still (in front of the Empire State Building) - a rotund NYC cop showed up and tried to give me a hard time, but I weirded him out by going "No, thank you" every time he said "License, insurance, and registration". He finally told me to take off or he'd claim I was causing a security incident.

Terri Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote