carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 02-02-2008, 08:03 PM   #101
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
So in other words, there's no dream car budget.... should've guessed

Ed

I'm confused. Both of us have to be on board with nay purchase. And neither of us has ever bought anything over ~$100 without checking first. Not because we have to (we have no rules on this), but simply out of consideration.

I could park an Elise in my house tomorrow if I wanted. She'd be incredibly pissed off, but I know she would not get rid of it (or me). It's not about the money as she trusts me to not do anything stupid (I actually run the finances). It's about both of us being happy.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 08:08 PM   #102
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMike View Post
whose car is it going to be, yours or hers?
There appears to be only pair of pants in that family...

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 08:18 PM   #103
dan
redefined

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Both of us have to be on board with nay purchase. And neither of us has ever bought anything over ~$100 without checking first.
holy crap
dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 08:44 PM   #104
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
Have you driven one? They're fun, feel like BMW's and look good.

Ed
I have driven a previous generation MC and then an MCS on a pretty decent test drive. They're decent to drive (not better than my gf's honda si hatch). But they're still fwd and have that horrible interior. At some price point they might be attractive, for me personally, the price point is 10k lower.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 10:42 PM   #105
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
drove a 335i (step), G35 (auto) and a CTS 3.6DI (auto) today.

the 335i was pricey, but nice. didn't come with jacksh*t as standard equipment which irritated me. interior was the worst of the group, IMO. engine is probably the most fun of the three. brake feel was great. steering feel was so-so.

the G35 had so-so steering feel. brakes felt good. even with an upgraded interior and the lowest price (by far) --the car still blah'd me.

the CTS was the biggest surprise. i really enjoyed driving it. the 3.6DI has a lot more midrange power than i would have thought, esp. having driven the 335i in the same day. great steering feel and this was the CTSx. brake pedal was excellent. interior was, by far, the nicest.

just thoughts --GMO/S means the CTS 3.6DI 6sp (with obligatory LSD), full leather, sunroof and lots of other niceties is below the G35.
Those are the three that I've also tested and had similar comments on after testing them. When I ranked them, the G35 fell way behind. The 335 was a close second to the CTS -- basically the horrible interior kept it behind, even though it has a better powertrain than the CTS (not that the CTS is bad, just that the 335 is soooo good). The CTS was the overall best car -- best interior, best exterior design, 2nd best powertrain.

I had my 530 in the shop yesterday -- and I upgraded my loaner to a new CTS (the dealer uses Hertz for loaners). It had the DI engine, base suspension, and a the "luxury" package with heated/cooled seats, sunroof, keyless start. I really liked it -- it was great in traffic, nice mid-range grunt, very stable, and absolutely no rattles (it had 5k rental car miles on it).

I've decided to keep the E39 for about another year, but I've essentially decided that an '09 CTS will be my next car.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:43 PM   #106
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Whoa whoa whoa whoa.

The CTS3.6 has an LSD available?
Yep... on both of the sport packages...
Old 02-02-2008, 11:01 PM   #107
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Whoa whoa whoa whoa.

The CTS3.6 has an LSD available?
Oh, yeah. And if you get the FE3, I think it's included.

FC, as for the Mini, you don't need to spend 32K on a Mini. Mine was 26. You don't need the JCW package, you don't need the fancy leather...it's a small hatch. Equip it like one.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 11:12 PM   #108
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
So Cadillac will offer an LSD on it's cheapest model, and somehow they don't feel that it will threaten their more expensive "V" line?

BMW, uh, WTF?!
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 11:17 PM   #109
ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
FC, as for the Mini, you don't need to spend 32K on a Mini. Mine was 26. You don't need the JCW package, you don't need the fancy leather...it's a small hatch. Equip it like one.
I think that if you equip a MINI to the $32K level, you'd better be willing to keep the car forever, or take a huge bath on resale value. It's hard to imagine that there'd be a significant market out there for a used econo-hatch in that price range.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 01:05 AM   #110
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
Some of the quotes on this board could go into the "quotes from other boards" thread.

In particular, I like ff's comment about how MINI resale is going to tank (evidence please? everything I have read and experienced says the opposite) and equ's comment about the MINI not being any more fun to drive then the Civic Si - umm - ok, if you say so.

They are what they are. Lots more people like them then don't like them as is obvious by their success and their continuing ridiculously high resale values. Yet people that don't like them for whatever reason seem to take that success as a personal insult for some reason.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote