carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 01-02-2008, 09:21 AM   #11
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
Gray headliner = My 0.02, all SP BMWs should come with the black headliner.
I've never understood people's preoccupation with black headliners. I don't care very much one way or the other, but to the extent I've thought about it, I prefer the lighter color headliner--makes the car feel bigger on the inside.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:24 AM   #12
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
Gray headliner = My 0.02, all SP BMWs should come with the black headliner.
Of all the possible nits to pick with this car you choose the gray headliner?
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:24 AM   #13
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
The ass sucks, and that weird bottom cut line (not sure if that's the right thing to call it) makes it look like it's sagging under the weight of the cabin. It's just kind of odd looking.

The interior does look perfectly reasonable, though, that chunky steering wheel looks awesome, and I'm sure it goes like stink.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:39 AM   #14
operknockity
Finn is in puppy heaven

Carmudgeonly Ride: '02 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz View Post
The ass sucks, and that weird bottom cut line (not sure if that's the right thing to call it) makes it look like it's sagging under the weight of the cabin. It's just kind of odd looking.
The same can be said of the new 3ers and new 5ers. The saggy look is just more pronounced in the smaller car.
operknockity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:54 AM   #15
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwg View Post
It does? As far as I know, nobody has reported over heating from use on the road. There are a few scattered reports of overheating on the track, mostly from magazines.

The next question would be, of course, when was this car built, was it a production sample, and does it fall outside the manufacturing change window that added the cooler to the automatic 335s?
in my foggy memory, i 'think' it was automatics that were afflicted the most but the manuals did overheat at the track during hot lapping --but i 'think' that manuals come with the oil cooler anyway but the automatics were retrofitted later in the model run?

JeSTer would know better than me.

lemming is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:59 AM   #16
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwg View Post
It does? As far as I know, nobody has reported over heating from use on the road. There are a few scattered reports of overheating on the track, mostly from magazines.

The next question would be, of course, when was this car built, was it a production sample, and does it fall outside the manufacturing change window that added the cooler to the automatic 335s?
Every single good driver I've talked to who's run a 335 on track has overheated it.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:12 AM   #17
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
Every single good driver I've talked to who's run a 335 on track has overheated it.

How about the married ones???

(j/k)
Old 01-02-2008, 11:59 AM   #18
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
in my foggy memory, i 'think' it was automatics that were afflicted the most but the manuals did overheat at the track during hot lapping --but i 'think' that manuals come with the oil cooler anyway but the automatics were retrofitted later in the model run?

JeSTer would know better than me.
matches what i read, slushies didnt have any. Think it was also might of been tied to the sport package.

The 135 was a slushy so maybe they are doing the same thing for it?
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:41 PM   #19
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
If I never see that color again, I'll be very happy. I like red but this color just doesn't cut it.
They had the same color on display at the Phoenix auto show at Thanksgiving. I thought it looked pretty good in person -- and I'm not a fan of red cars...
Old 01-02-2008, 01:22 PM   #20
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
Manuals too? As far as I understand, the manuals are supposed to be fine b/c they have the oil cooler. I suppose I should limit that statement to manuals with the sport package.

In the U.S. market, they decided that autos wouldn't need the external oil cooler for some reason. They put it back in as part of the sport package somewhere along the line. They seem to be retrofitting the cooler if you complain. The manuals all seemed to come with it. I think every new 335 has it and I can't imagine that production 135s won't have it too. It won't necessarily be in the same place as the 335's cooler though.

I haven't heard of anyone overheating any 335 on the street regardless of whether it was an auto without the cooler or otherwise. That doesn't mean it hasn't happened, of course.

Regardless, the overheating problem is way over blown imo and is something only a minute number of customers will ever have to worry about (either "good" track drivers or "track drivers with automatics"). The car should be able to stand up to a track day, but most of them will never see elevated temperatures.

And hey, for $2k, you can get the Dinan over sized oil cooler and all overheating problems will go away for ever!
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote