carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 04-20-2017, 11:38 PM   #951
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

Surprised no one has mentioned this one:

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1990-bmw-m3-12/

Not a collector-grade car, wrong colors, not perfect, but a good driver.
blee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:53 AM   #952
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Ok, that Canadian E36 is really bugging me.

EDIT: And a video of that car. The use of Bittersweet Symphony is unforgivable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHpJudTZJsI
That is a nice car though, purple with cloth seats and a real m engine. Those red seat belt are actually pretty expensive and hard to get.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:44 AM   #953
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee View Post
Wow. What a bunch of pretentious a-holes. And what the fuck is a Jetfire, anyway? (I mean, it sounds pretty cool, but...)

I still like that my '99 lacked keyless entry, had a perfectly-positioned immobile steering wheel, and a tape player (I think). Good times.
Wow. I've literally never seen an E36 M3 without keyless entry.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:33 AM   #954
JST

Ha ha none of ours had them. That was one of the first mod splurges that went around. That and strut tower braces and Konis and ZKW headlights.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:01 AM   #955
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

Quote:
Ha ha none of ours had them. That was one of the first mod splurges that went around. That and strut tower braces and Konis and ZKW headlights.
Comments like these make me feel old and sad...but better old than dead, I suppose.

I didn't get very deep into E36 M3 modding, because I had too many friends with E30 M3s and had no choice but to buy one. I got as far as buying ZKWs from what was a very sketchy Umnitza website, tearing out the little baffle from my airbox, and...? I guess installing XM counts, sort of.
blee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:13 AM   #956
JST

Oh, right--XM. TD got us all deals on some of the first integrated XM radios. You had to get the Alpine CD changer to work with it. I found that a couple of years ago. Think I pitched it.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:43 AM   #957
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
Quote:
I had two of those three on my 99. Lol

You forgot the CD43 radio from the Z3 everyone would put in the E36. I did that one to.

Btw that techno M3 is the shit!!
Old 04-21-2017, 10:55 AM   #958
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
I had two of those three on my 99. Lol

You forgot the CD43 radio from the Z3 everyone would put in the E36. I did that one to.

Btw that techno M3 is the shit!!
I never got around to the CD43, but yeah, that was popular. Also the Z3 shock mounts.

Update on the BaT yellow car:

Quote:
My name is Thomas Plucinsky and the Canadian/European M3 was my project at BMW Canada back in 1993/94. In looking at the comments and questions perhaps I can clear up some of the questions.
1. The Canadian M3 were emission and compliance certified using the Norwegian homologation as the base. Several modifications to that homologation were done either on the assembly line (Plant Regensburg) or at the port of entry in Halifax to make the cars comply to Canadian DOT requirements of the time. These cars do not meet US standards despite the letter shown from BMW NA. Also, the VIN’s will indicate a European model because the Model code (BF91) within the VIN is a European code.
I think that qualifies as a mic drop, assuming the guy is who he says he is.

So this car shouldn't be importable, though it has a letter that might allow you to import it, if you don't mind some light customs fraud.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:33 AM   #959
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:

Heh. Mine ('95) had the big blocky BMW three-button remote separate from the key, whereas my friend's '99 had the keyless entry integrated with the key, like on an E46. Maybe mine was dealer installed? When I bought the car the owner was adamant it had no modifications except the Dinan long-tube intake, which the dealer installed for him.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:46 AM   #960
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Heh. Mine ('95) had the big blocky BMW three-button remote separate from the key, whereas my friend's '99 had the keyless entry integrated with the key, like on an E46. Maybe mine was dealer installed? When I bought the car the owner was adamant it had no modifications except the Dinan long-tube intake, which the dealer installed for him.
That might be right. The solution we all implemented was an alarm module that you could buy from BMW that gave you keyless entry, but it required the separate remote. Assume that's what your car had, as well.

Like this:
https://www.ebay.com/p/?iid=25286788...pp=true&chn=ps

EDIT: Though it looks like there were different modules for OBD1 (like your car) and OBD2. The big blocky three button remote looks like the OBD1 module.