carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 04-29-2009, 12:06 PM   #1
clyde
Chief title editor

Interim solution?

The plan (please don't tell me that FC is rubbing off on me) has been to sell the Armada for a while now. I have a buyer and I'm just waiting for him to get the money together. I was going to "buy" my brother's 1991 Miata and have that shipped out here to drive until I decide on and find the car I want (G8 GXP, Charger SRT-8, 370Z, Camaro, Mustang, etc). While the cost of shipping the Miata is probably a couple hundred bucks more than what it's worth, my brother is the original owner and with 110k on it, it's never had any issues.

Then I got a call from my dad last night. A friend of his is selling a 6M 1999 Corvette. Skipping the details of why I believe it to be so, the car is probably as perfect as a Corvette can be. It has about 40kish miles on it and I can probably buy it for under $14k.

I'm waiting to get a list of the RPO codes (all I know is that it's a six speed), but I know that it's not *the* car I want. But I think it could be a more enjoyable temporary solution than the Miata (which I'd probably still buy even if I buy this vette, too). My dad tells me that if I want to sell the vette within 18 months of buying it, he'll buy it for whatever I wind up paying for it...if the current seller and the original owner pass on buying it back (the three of them all used to work together which feeds into knowing the car's history).

Does anyone see a downside to this that I'm not seeing?

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:14 PM   #2
ff

No longer need a tow vehicle?

If it were me, I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't like the idea of spending the money to ship a car, when the shipping costs are more than the car's worth. Particularity when it's just a temporary thing. If you were going to keep it for a few years, then maybe.

knee-jerk reaction >> Is a '99 Corvette still worth 14K? That much?
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:16 PM   #3
BahnBaum
Tilting Rocinante

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Does anyone see a downside to this that I'm not seeing?
No.

Alex
Old 04-29-2009, 12:24 PM   #4
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
I was going to "buy" my brother's 1991 Miata and have that shipped out here to drive until I decide on and find the car I want (G8 GXP, Charger SRT-8, 370Z, Camaro, Mustang, etc). While the cost of shipping the Miata is probably a couple hundred bucks more than what it's worth, my brother is the original owner and with 110k on it, it's never had any issues.
not to go OT... but you'd be surprised what a car like that is worth if it is clean with no stories. I just took a 1991 with 96k miles in trade for book value, thought I paid a bit too much for it, and I was shocked to see it sell at auction for almost twice what I took it in for. Part of it is seasonality, part of it is that book values are not that relevant on a car like this (kind of like how even to this day clean E30's sell for crazy amounts of money).
Old 04-29-2009, 12:31 PM   #5
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BahnBaum View Post
No.

Alex

P.S.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:31 PM   #6
Mr. The Edge
Don't worry, be happy

Carmudgeonly Ride: AW '05 645Cic & '11 Infiniti QX56
Does this idea seamlessly mesh with your projected car ownership plan for 2016?
Mr. The Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:31 PM   #7
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff View Post
No longer need a tow vehicle?
Not in the forseeable future. If/when that changes, I'd buy something better for towing (3/4 ton, higher payload, etc)

Quote:
If it were me, I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't like the idea of spending the money to ship a car, when the shipping costs are more than the car's worth. Particularity when it's just a temporary thing. If you were going to keep it for a few years, then maybe.
The Miata would be "bought" for a dollar. It's worth maybe $500. Shipping looks like it will run about $700ish. It's mechanically sound, but the paint is awful and the interior is showing 18 years of being in the sun with the top down a lot. I'd still want the Miata to use as a beater on the four days of snow or ice we might get in any given winter, to use as a convertible a few times during the summer, and use for my commute to the subway when I'm running late and know that I won't be able to get a covered parking spot. So, the Miata would be long term.

The Vette would probably run about the same to ship. I'd only pay the shipping one way (if one of them buys it back, they'd pay to ship it back to San Diego).

Quote:
knee-jerk reaction >> Is a '99 Corvette still worth 14K? That much?
It would probably sell for $15-$17k if he put it on autotrader. It's on the low mileage side and I know that it has been well cared for. The original owner and second owner (seller) are fanatical about maintenance and cosmetics to the extent that they may put John V and Rob to shame. I just don't know how to describe it...it's unreal. The big plus is my dad saying that he'd buy it for what I pay for it. If I don't buy it now, he probably will.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 04-29-2009, 12:33 PM   #8
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. The Edge View Post
Does this idea seamlessly mesh with your projected car ownership plan for 2016?
Let me check with FC...

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 04-29-2009, 01:17 PM   #9
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
I see no downside to buying the Vette.

I don't think you want to lump me in with Rob when it comes to cosmetics. Maintenance, probably... but have you seen the Altima? Heck, Rob would sh!t the bed if he saw the cosmetic condition of the Z06.

And I want the Miata. But I'd fly out and drive it back
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:34 PM   #10
Melissa
Carmudgeon

Carmudgeonly Ride: '07 530xiT
Sounds like a good plan to me, especially with your Dad's offer to buy.