carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 09-04-2018, 08:32 AM   #31
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff View Post
Florida Southern has a shuttle service available for smaller trips around campus. One option is to let things coast for a while and see if your daughter ever finds herself in a position where a car is necessary. If so, pull the trigger then.

How often do you envision her flying? I assume that she'd go to either Tampa or Orlando? Neither is particularly close to FSC (in a convenient sort of way), but there are always limo and shuttle services that can make that link.

Just curious, did you go to FSC ? Do you live close to that area and have a car service you trust ? I did tell her to check into the shuttles, between break, thanksgiving and a family event this semester so far she is booked on 3 round trip flights with a 4th happening at Xmas so there are quite a few trips back and forth to the airport.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 08:42 AM   #32
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
Drive the a4 down for parents weekend and fly back home
I really don’t want to take a 20 hour drive I didn’t mind it too much when I was much younger but nowadays I kinda limit my trips driving to 2-3 hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
Do you really think that she’s going to *not* take Uber/Lyft?
I don’t mind Uber in a group setting, just not comfortable when alone.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:30 AM   #33
ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
Just curious, did you go to FSC ? Do you live close to that area and have a car service you trust ? I did tell her to check into the shuttles, between break, thanksgiving and a family event this semester so far she is booked on 3 round trip flights with a 4th happening at Xmas so there are quite a few trips back and forth to the airport.
I didn't go to school at FSC, but it's one of the schools we looked at with my daughter. It's reasonably close to where we live (~ 28 miles away).

I've used Super Shuttle in the past to get to the Tampa airport. You share the ride with as many other people as they can fit in the van, comfortably. It isn't necessarily a pleasant ride, but it works as long as your schedule meshes nicely with theirs.

I see that SuperShuttle does service the Lakeland area, and they also have options with "EXECUCAR" where you can ride in a car or SUV. More expensive, but maybe a better option?

Quote:
I don’t mind Uber in a group setting, just not comfortable when alone.
I know how you feel. I've had several discussions with my daughter about being smart out there in the real world. Being observant of the things around her, and avoiding situations that put her at risk (like walking home from marching band alone, after dark, no matter how safe she feels doing so). I've had plenty of good experiences with uber, but all it would take is one bad apple...
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 09:41 AM   #34
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
Do you really think that there is a safer option than one in which the identity of the driver is verified, and the location is continuously tracked? Notwithstanding a number of bad apples, the fact is that Lyft and uber and equivalent are very safe.

I would be a lot more concerned about my kid driving drunk at college than I would about her getting assaulted by a driver.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 10:03 AM   #35
JST

Quote:
Do you really think that there is a safer option than one in which the identity of the driver is verified, and the location is continuously tracked? Notwithstanding a number of bad apples, the fact is that Lyft and uber and equivalent are very safe.

I would be a lot more concerned about my kid driving drunk at college than I would about her getting assaulted by a driver.
Yeah, I tend to agree. I'd also encourage uber/lyft over walking home alone.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 10:15 AM   #36
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:

I 100% agree with this. We put the uber app linked our our CC on both our girls phones. I'd much rather get a bill for her getting home safely i/o her deciding it is cheaper or easier to catch a ride with her drunk friend.

I am also not on-board with my college kids having cars on campus. There's really no need for one. My GF had a car when I was in school and all we ever used it for was diner runs at 3am.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 01:03 PM   #37
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
The safer option is you drive yourself in your own car ... I have a friend (ex friend now) who is currently an uber driver, not only was he sent to Jail because he was stalking his ex girlfriend, he also told a mutual friend that he goes to strip clubs when they close so when the dancers need an uber he can pick them up ... this same guy was fined by NY City almost $1 million for scamming people stating he could get them acting work if you just allowed him to take pictures and set you up a portfolio.

BTW I do use Uber so I'm not against it at all, I am just trying to come up with a solution to one of my concerns.

Quote:

Of course that is a huge concern and it is just one of many that as a parent you sit home and worry about. I hope I've taught my kids well enough that they won't ever put themselves in that position.
Old 09-04-2018, 01:57 PM   #38
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
The safer option is you drive yourself in your own car ... I have a friend (ex friend now) who is currently an uber driver, not only was he sent to Jail because he was stalking his ex girlfriend, he also told a mutual friend that he goes to strip clubs when they close so when the dancers need an uber he can pick them up ... this same guy was fined by NY City almost $1 million for scamming people stating he could get them acting work if you just allowed him to take pictures and set you up a portfolio.

BTW I do use Uber so I'm not against it at all, I am just trying to come up with a solution to one of my concerns.

Of course that is a huge concern and it is just one of many that as a parent you sit home and worry about. I hope I've taught my kids well enough that they won't ever put themselves in that position.
I really doubt that an 18-year old driving him/herself is safer than taking a Lyft/uber.

And your daughter is 18. She's going to make some really, really bad decisions. I know I did, and I'm pretty sure that you did too. Between teenage judgement, peer pressure, Florida (so I pretty much assume it's a party school - and my Dad graduated from FSU and my grandfather was a professor there, so don't think that I have something against Florida schools), I can pretty much guarantee that she's going to get in to stupid shit.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 03:07 PM   #39
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
I really doubt that an 18-year old driving him/herself is safer than taking a Lyft/uber.
This thread has pretty much derailed from the original topic...

But yes I agree with nick. Of all the things to worry about your kid in college, Uber drivers are pretty low on the list.

Boyfriends driving the car drink is much higher.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 03:50 PM   #40
ff

Quote:
Just like anything else in life, the response to that is "it depends". Remember, this is Florida we're talking about...
ff is offline   Reply With Quote