carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 01-27-2020, 07:13 PM   #2501
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...wagon-m-sport/

This is most interesting because of the seller's strategy. It's a lease, I think the seller is assuming it will sell higher than the residual and he will pocket the difference.
Not too surprising ... reserve not met.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 09:04 PM   #2502
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Not too surprising ... reserve not met.
I wonder what it would have bid to if the owner actually owned it, or at least made some sort of effort to get the title
Old 01-28-2020, 10:51 AM   #2503
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
I paid just over $35k a year ago for a CPO 2016 340i xdrive in pristine condition with 28k miles. I don't think I got it cheap or expensive. It is roughly where the market was and it wasn't easy to find m-sport, track handling (really what I was looking for) and 6-speed. I'd value it in the low-30's, perhaps optimistically, so I'm not sure how a 4-cyl 330i (even as a high option wagon) could sell for more. That high bid was quite fair especially considering the title headache.

Mine is missing Nav but I don't see that as a need. It has had zero faults in one year, nearly 5k miles. My only complaint are the LED headlights, I don't have the adaptive option, not sure if those would solve my woes, but I'm quite unhappy with the level and pattern of illumination. The standard bi-xenons on the 2011 335i e90 and the 2011 535i f10 that I drove for years were both dramatically better. It's annoying when a technical thing seems to get worse for no reason (or for cost cutting).
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 10:49 AM   #2504
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
The off-lease BMW market is interesting right now. I’ve been poking around getting ideas for a 2nd car. Retail prices are all over the map on several models and don’t directly relate to original MSRP or even residual. A few data points...

-used M240s that probably sold mid-50s new are listed mid-30s after 3 years. Original leases sucked so BMW is probably doing well on these.

-used 330 sedans are a dime a dozen and can be had cheap. A lot in the low-20s

-used 340s... some dealers asking a lot (mid/upper-30s like what equ paid) for a 3 year off lease but some deals can be had. My parents just bought out their lease on 2017 m-sport with 26k miles for $28500 which was a really good buy.

-used 330 wagons are really strong because there is so little supply. They are listed 7-10k more than similar priced sedans and actually in 340i territory. I’d be open to buying one but not at these prices.

-curve ball is my old 550. 80k MSRP and 49k residual. My price to purchase was something like 3-4K below residual (way too much). Dealer listed it for 37k CPO after I returned it. Still hasn’t sold and now marked down to 33k. Waiting to see how low it goes. If it drops into 20’s maybe I’ll buy it. Would need a creative way to work around the new BMWFS off lease purchase requirements though.
Old 01-29-2020, 11:59 AM   #2505
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post

-used 340s... some dealers asking a lot (mid/upper-30s like what equ paid) for a 3 year off lease but some deals can be had. My parents just bought out their lease on 2017 m-sport with 26k miles for $28500 which was a really good buy.

-used 330 wagons are really strong because there is so little supply. They are listed 7-10k more than similar priced sedans and actually in 340i territory. I’d be open to buying one but not at these prices.

-curve ball is my old 550. 80k MSRP and 49k residual. My price to purchase was something like 3-4K below residual (way too much). Dealer listed it for 37k CPO after I returned it. Still hasn’t sold and now marked down to 33k. Waiting to see how low it goes. If it drops into 20’s maybe I’ll buy it. Would need a creative way to work around the new BMWFS off lease purchase requirements though.
If their 340 is well-specced, that's a solid 5k better than my deal. Congrats!

Isn't $33k a great price for 550 even with the new diluted cpo?
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 01:07 PM   #2506
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
If their 340 is well-specced, that's a solid 5k better than my deal. Congrats!

Isn't $33k a great price for 550 even with the new diluted cpo?
The catch is that BMWFS now imposes penalties on dealers for selling off-lease cars back to the original leasee (at anything other than the residual price). Heavy-handed and misguided attempt at trying to keep new car leasees from "gaming the system" i guess. Do they really think it will compel people who want to purchase their off-lease cars to pay the inflated residual or make them say "well in that case i guess i'll just lease another new one"? No way- they'll just buy another CPO or go to another brand (and be pissed off in the process). Plus, it's hard to imagine that this some sort of widespread issue for them. So now they end up having to take a loss on their off-lease cars anyway and piss off customers in the process. A lose/lose all around.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 01:15 PM   #2507
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
Kicking myself for not taking an amazing lease deal on a 330 wagon back in 2017. Not entirely my fault- my wife decided she preferred the higher seating position of the x3.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 02:54 PM   #2508
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
The catch is that BMWFS now imposes penalties on dealers for selling off-lease cars back to the original leasee (at anything other than the residual price). Heavy-handed and misguided attempt at trying to keep new car leasees from "gaming the system" i guess. Do they really think it will compel people who want to purchase their off-lease cars to pay the inflated residual or make them say "well in that case i guess i'll just lease another new one"? No way- they'll just buy another CPO or go to another brand (and be pissed off in the process). Plus, it's hard to imagine that this some sort of widespread issue for them. So now they end up having to take a loss on their off-lease cars anyway and piss off customers in the process. A lose/lose all around.
I'm going thru a little bit of this right now as I am nearing the end of my lease on my GMC pick up truck. I still am in need of a vehicle that can get a yard or two of mulch, and other stuff that a pick up does well. There is nothing on the market right now for sale that is equipped as well as my current truck. (Its not loaded, but has all of the options I want, just the color kind of sucks) Like Clyde, I have been running numbers regularly on KBB and Autotrader. Due to low miles, my truck is worth about 6-8K greater than my residual. I want to buy my truck out at the end, but I am getting two different stories from GM and my local dealer. residual is a tiny over 25K. I can afford to buy it outright, but I'd rather put maybe around 10K cash down and finance the rest. My dealer isn't providing exact information, but it sounds like in order for them to "help" with any financing, I have to turn in the leaded vehicle and buy it back from them. Three separate times I have asked if I am buying it for the residual value, and I have gotten three different vague answers, but no set price for my truck. My current bank is offering pretty good rates for new and used car loans, but Bank of America has a "special" category of "lease takeovers" and the rate is over 4% My dealer will only tell me that GM's rate is better, won't give a number.

Again, I can pay the 25K, just would rather not. But I'm starting to get pissed at the process
Old 01-29-2020, 06:51 PM   #2509
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
I'm going thru a little bit of this right now as I am nearing the end of my lease on my GMC pick up truck. I still am in need of a vehicle that can get a yard or two of mulch, and other stuff that a pick up does well. There is nothing on the market right now for sale that is equipped as well as my current truck. (Its not loaded, but has all of the options I want, just the color kind of sucks) Like Clyde, I have been running numbers regularly on KBB and Autotrader. Due to low miles, my truck is worth about 6-8K greater than my residual. I want to buy my truck out at the end, but I am getting two different stories from GM and my local dealer. residual is a tiny over 25K. I can afford to buy it outright, but I'd rather put maybe around 10K cash down and finance the rest. My dealer isn't providing exact information, but it sounds like in order for them to "help" with any financing, I have to turn in the leaded vehicle and buy it back from them. Three separate times I have asked if I am buying it for the residual value, and I have gotten three different vague answers, but no set price for my truck. My current bank is offering pretty good rates for new and used car loans, but Bank of America has a "special" category of "lease takeovers" and the rate is over 4% My dealer will only tell me that GM's rate is better, won't give a number.

Again, I can pay the 25K, just would rather not. But I'm starting to get pissed at the process

I would buy it out ... the interest rates are not good if your money is in the bank, I only saying this because you said you could pay it out of pocket without a loan which is a great thing.

Yes you will feel a little insecure at first taking that savings out of the bank but each month when you have no payment you will be extremely satisfied.

Worst case if you need the money you sell the car though I doubt that would ever be the case
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 04:39 PM   #2510
kognito
older fart than ZBB

This might possibly be a money pit, but such an interesting color, (didn't read up on the carfax accident)

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...onVx13O_ZHq8LY