carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 01-11-2021, 11:21 AM   #81
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
When the MK7 first came out you could get everything as options so could get lighting and PP on the base S. Bummer they started bundling everything with I think the MK7.5.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 11:31 AM   #82
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
When the MK7 first came out you could get everything as options so could get lighting and PP on the base S. Bummer they started bundling everything with I think the MK7.5.
Yeah, that sucks. It was called the lighting pkg, I believe.

Well, FWIW, most seem to say it's an improvement over halogens. There are a few options out there so hopefully one is half-decent.

I don't want to pay $4k to get leather we are ambivalent about and a potentially creaky/leaky sunroof. I do like moonroofs as you know, but not if they will be a PITA.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 11:37 AM   #83
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Yeah, that sucks. It was called the lighting pkg, I believe.

Well, FWIW, most seem to say it's an improvement over halogens. There are a few options out there so hopefully one is half-decent.

I don't want to pay $4k to get leather we are ambivalent about and a potentially creaky/leaky sunroof. I do like moonroofs as you know, but not if they will be a PITA.
I have the ones your linked, BEC, which were supposed to be the best ones. I figured there was something wrong with mine since like you said people seemed to be happy with them so worked withe company to resolve the issue. Eventually it came back that is the way they are are supposed to be so chalked it up to your kids not knowing what proper light output pattern is.
Old 01-11-2021, 11:51 AM   #84
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
I have the ones your linked, BEC, which were supposed to be the best ones. I figured there was something wrong with mine since like you said people seemed to be happy with them so worked withe company to resolve the issue. Eventually it came back that is the way they are are supposed to be so chalked it up to your kids not knowing what proper light output pattern is.
That may well be. Are they better than halogen?
Old 01-11-2021, 01:17 PM   #85
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
That may well be. Are they better than halogen?
Not sure since I didn't run the halogen much since replacing. The halogen are not projectors so not really an option to swap to HIDs with them either. Our 4runner has projectors and the HIDs upgrade works pretty well.
Old 01-11-2021, 01:37 PM   #86
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Kennedy View Post

Here's a shot from the afternoon before the 2010 night run. It was 126 degrees then and there were still some stragglers from the Badwater Ultramarathon running in that. Don't worry, we made sure they were all well past before the nighttime run.

Terry -
Thanks again for the ride in your Atom -- probably just a few days after that pic was taken.

But we didn't get to leave the parking lot. I guess I can't blame the 112 degree day in Scottsdale
Old 01-11-2021, 04:16 PM   #87
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
You can always go with off-road bulbs with the halogen. We did that with the mk6 TDI. Our mk7 GTI had the xenons, which were certainly good. Now with the mk7 Alltrack, we haven't yet bothered to go with the off-road halogens. The 340i LED's are worse.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 05:46 PM   #88
JST

Quote:
I have those aftermarket lights and they suck. Pain to install and the optics are terrible but hey they look cool
Can I just say it is overall hilarious and stupid how hard it is to retrofit lights on US GTIs; they must use completely different wiring harnesses, because whenever I used to think "hey maybe I'll upgrade to a set of LED tails" on the Golf R I'd get lost in a huge rabbit hole of time and expense that was definitely not worth it.

Also kind of shocked anyone is still putting halogen lights in cars, to be honest.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 11:05 PM   #89
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Can I just say it is overall hilarious and stupid how hard it is to retrofit lights on US GTIs; they must use completely different wiring harnesses, because whenever I used to think "hey maybe I'll upgrade to a set of LED tails" on the Golf R I'd get lost in a huge rabbit hole of time and expense that was definitely not worth it.

Also kind of shocked anyone is still putting halogen lights in cars, to be honest.
Agreed.
Old 01-12-2021, 09:10 AM   #90
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
LED tail upgrades are not hard if you give up OEM and go with deAutoKey or now called deAutoLED... I did that to the mk7 GTI with no issues, reverse & tails, for $120.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote