Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 01-30-2014, 12:38 PM   #41
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
it doesn't scale like that, at all.

given labor costs and exchange rates, it's still the GT3 or Turbo running up against a Z06 or ZR1.

the Euro is 1.37 dollars --so, trying to place things by price is not feasible.

(and the next Z06 will certainly be 100k out the door)
They've stated that a loaded z06 will be under $100k.

Not sure what you mean by scale or exchange rates....I have ~$85k to spend - what do I buy? It certainly won't be a GT3, but it could be a base 911 or a z06.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:40 PM   #42
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
They've stated that a loaded z06 will be under $100k.

Not sure what you mean by scale or exchange rates....I have ~$85k to spend - what do I buy? It certainly won't be a GT3, but it could be a base 911 or a z06.

RICH!
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:41 PM   #43
bren
lawn boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post

RICH!
Hypothetically.

I don't live in Howard Co.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:42 PM   #44
clyde
Chief title editor

The other thing to keep in mind about the comparison articles and videos of cars that aren't similarly equipped is that they often get the cars they get, not the ones they want.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:51 PM   #45
John V
No more BMWs

He stated that, too, WRT the transmission.

But that didn't stop him from gushing about the 911's PDK (several thousand dollar option) and panning the Corvette's autotragic. With $60k in options on the 911, I have to assume it had their fancy active suspension too, and probably sport chrono, all of which enhance the 911's track prowess to some degree. Chevrolet would be wise to do what porsche does - not supply any bare-bones base cars to their press fleet.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:53 PM   #46
John V
No more BMWs

Thinking about this a little more, realistically the Stingray competes against the Cayman S / Boxster S.

The Cayman S starts at 63,xxx. Pretty close to the < $60k MSRP of the Z51 C7 I built online last week.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:00 PM   #47
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
What do you mean it doesn't scale like that?

This is the United States. Even if the Z06 costs $100k, it's going up against a Carrera S, which costs near-as-makes-no-difference $100k.
first off --i don't think it matters which C7 it is against any 911. the C7 will be "faster" the majority of the time. the questions is really a subjective one. which is more fluid? which has better damping? which has better steering feel?

my point is that one has to factor in the much higher costs of manufacture in Europe, so it's not out of the range at all, for example, to compare a 911 to a C7 Z51.

you could stack the deck and use a C7 Z06, but i really doubt it's going to have more grip or suddenly gain steering feel or better damping. it is what it is.

since the C5, the corvette has had less and less road feel. there's no new news here.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:04 PM   #48
John V
No more BMWs

That's irrelevant. The car costs what it costs. Your argument is no more valid than the Corvette fanboi argument of "well if our car started at $85k it would have the materials / fit and finish / steering feel / panache" of a Porsche. You can't tilt the rules to suit your argument.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:09 PM   #49
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
That's irrelevant. The car costs what it costs. Your argument is no more valid than the Corvette fanboi argument of "well if our car started at $85k it would have the materials / fit and finish / steering feel / panache" of a Porsche. You can't tilt the rules to suit your argument.
actually, no.

i'm not justifying the higher cost at all.

i'm a corvette fan, as witnessed by owning a C3 plus a C5 and C6. that's pretty clear, for the written record.

i'm just a realist. the German cars will always cost more. and the sad part about it, is the car has more attention to detail in how they handle and how they are screwed together. it's an inherently unfair argument because you're pitting a car that comes from GM, which only makes money on volume, and comparing it to Porsche which makes money no matter what.

what this boils down to is: best against best, which is the car that most would opt for?

in the past, i'd opt for the raw power. but, as bren pointed out, it's not about track time anymore. it's about the car you're actually going to pull out of the garage and drive for enjoyment.

i can't answer that for other people, but I would prefer a 981 or 991 to the C7. GM just does not invest enough in the car for it to be completely dialed in, IMHO.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:17 PM   #50
bren
lawn boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post

what this boils down to is: best against best, which is the car that most would opt for?
The one they can afford.