carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 01-24-2014, 02:26 PM   #1
RMR
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2020 Honda Civic Hatch Sport
Corvette C7

Just came across this and thought I'd post. I admit I've never been a Corvette fan. I've always thought of them as a great bargain but nothing I'd really try and own. I know a few of you on here are owners and fans but I've never had an itch to buy one. Growing up my dad has owned a 1978 C3 and a 1982 C3. I never drive those ones but I've have driven a few C4 and C5 Corvettes and felt like they drove, bounced around and shifted like trucks.

Anyway, the new C7 really is tempting for the price. The style has grown on me and the reviews/arguments are making me a fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmfK...ature=youtu.be

RMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:58 PM   #2
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
The thing I wonder about is whether I could really live with it. I ended up not being able to live with my C5. My buddy loved his C6 Z51 and his C6 Z06 initially, but grew tired of the compromises. To succeed the C7 needs to address the things that have made Corvettes tiresome in the past - sub-par interiors, poor steering feel, untrustworthy handling, creaks and rattles, rough shifting.

I'll be interested to see how these hold up in the long term. I can definitely see myself trying another Corvette.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:22 PM   #3
RMR
Crotchety

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
The thing I wonder about is whether I could really live with it. I ended up not being able to live with my C5. My buddy loved his C6 Z51 and his C6 Z06 initially, but grew tired of the compromises. To succeed the C7 needs to address the things that have made Corvettes tiresome in the past - sub-par interiors, poor steering feel, untrustworthy handling, creaks and rattles, rough shifting.

I'll be interested to see how these hold up in the long term. I can definitely see myself trying another Corvette.
I agree. Seems the Corvette has always looked great on paper but living with it was tough. Even as a weekend car. The C7's interior still looks a bit odd to me.

The question that arises for me (and in the video) is if this C7 is shopped on price and "similar" performance, would it be a better long term, all around real world sports car than a similar priced Cayman S?

Old 01-24-2014, 03:11 PM   #4
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Driving with my wife yesterday she said "hey, wow, look at that Ferrari!"

It was a new red C7.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 05:51 PM   #5
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post

It was a new red C7.
Ha- my wife has done that w/ the C6 a few times...
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:20 PM   #6
RMR
Crotchety

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post

It was a new red C7.
It's definitely got the Ferrari lines. The design has grown on me though. At first I was not a fan at all.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:45 PM   #7
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
I sat in a C7 convertible and rode in a coupe on a ride-and-drive event during Barrett Jackson.

I was blown away. The interior is excellent -- everything felt top notch.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:57 PM   #8
SCA
Jaded

I like the C7, the previous Corvette issues appear to have been resolved. It certainly is a sharp car, yet it is still 'merican'

I have seen several C7s around town and they all have had the black wheels. The last one I saw was @ our local Costco & I ended up speaking with the owners for sometime. While speaking to them I learned that the wife was a former multiple BMW, yet she was over the subpar service @ the local center & left the marque (like many do locally). Anyways... They had recently picked the car up from the Corvette factory in Kentucky & had just over 500 miles on the car. The husband formerly owned a C5 vert that he purchased new & sold with 30K miles to purchase the C7.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C7.1.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	9178  Click image for larger version

Name:	C7.2.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	9179  Click image for larger version

Name:	C7.3.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	9180  

Last edited by SCA; 01-25-2014 at 06:29 AM.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 03:28 PM   #9
dan
redefined

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
I like the C7, the previous Corvette issues appear to have been resolved. It certainly is a sharp car, yet it is still 'merican'

I have seen several C7s around town and they all have had the black wheels. The last one I saw was @ our local Costco & I ended up speaking with the owners for sometime. While speaking to them I learned that the wife was a former multiple BMW, yet she was over the subpar service @ the local center & left the marque (like many do locally). Anyways... They had recently picked the car up from the Corvette factory in Kentucky & had just over 500 miles on the car. The husband formerly owned a C5 vert that he purchased new & sold with 30K miles to purchase the C7.
Did you tell him he parks like a douchebag?
dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:33 PM   #10
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by undefined View Post
Did you tell him he parks like a douchebag?
Considering he had a veteran license plate on the vehicle, no. He may park like a douche, but he fought for our country.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote