carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 09-21-2020, 10:10 AM   #321
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
Does the 2 series have a more usable back seat than the 1 series? Because the back seat in the 1 series was very close to the functionality of the 993 back seat. Technically usable, but not voluntarily.
Yes. It's better. It doesn't curve in as much at the outboard sides as the 1 did.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 04:34 PM   #322
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
With who are you driving next year?
Texted...as you know.

Quote:
IMO... I would scratch the C6 off the list. Something tells me you would use the car more often if it had the option of putting people in the back. But you'll probably tell me I'm wrong. Also the C6 interior really feels pretty old these days.

The C7 is truly a great car, but it's a lot of money and I expect them to depreciate hard as the C8s start to appear on the used market. Also, two doors / two seats.

You do know Adam George is looking to offload his ZL1, right?

I never really thought much of the M2, especially since BMW seemed incapable of making reliable turbo engines. But then I heard one down in Virginia Beach with what sounded like a mild aftermarket exhaust, and I was a bit smitten. Still, does a turbo I6 scratch your V8 itch?

Knowing you, I feel like the right answer might be the Mustang or the Camaro. I might lean more towards the Mustang if you're confident it'll never need to be a tool for competition. I'd lean towards the Camaro if you think there's a chance you might want to autocross it.

The Supra is ugly and automatic-only. Delete.
The C6 and C7 things are things I think I needed to have someone say to me...other than the back seat part in terms of people. Between my wife's RAV4, the beater Accord, all the years daily driving the NA, and the two years of the Camaro, I just don't think I need a back seat to put people. Having a back seat to put stuff is another matter.

I don't really want a ZL1 1LE (which is what I think Adam has?). Just, too much.

I think I'd enjoy an M2/M2C, but I don't think I'd be happy enough with it for very long.

I'll probably wind up with a Camaro...I'm just too far into my own head now and have been too stuck at the same step for too long.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 06:53 PM   #323
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Texted...as you know.

The C6 and C7 things are things I think I needed to have someone say to me...other than the back seat part in terms of people. Between my wife's RAV4, the beater Accord, all the years daily driving the NA, and the two years of the Camaro, I just don't think I need a back seat to put people. Having a back seat to put stuff is another matter.

I don't really want a ZL1 1LE (which is what I think Adam has?). Just, too much.

I think I'd enjoy an M2/M2C, but I don't think I'd be happy enough with it for very long.

I'll probably wind up with a Camaro...I'm just too far into my own head now and have been too stuck at the same step for too long.
Sounds like you have to get Camaro out of your system...

Edit: If you were channeling your inner JST, you’d have to get Mustang out of your system. If you were mixing JST, you, and me, you’d have to get a Mustang convertible or a Corvette Stingray convertible.

Edit Again: Whatever you get needs to be cool, fun, and powerful. I think this is why I keep perseverating on the practical car. Just can’t get excited enough about it to spend all that money to purchase and insure. May just wait for the next M3 sedan and slap a roof rack on it. Or say, F everything and just buy the M4 convertible with the soft top when it comes out.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:08 PM   #324
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Wishlist:

Four-door M2
When you mention the 4 door are you referring to the new 2 series 4 door ? I had a 228 4 door as a loaner a couple of weeks ago, they did an awesome job on that car ... it had every feature the more expensive cars have, it was fun to drive and I really like the looks, the only downside is it felt front drive bias.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:49 PM   #325
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
When you mention the 4 door are you referring to the new 2 series 4 door ? I had a 228 4 door as a loaner a couple of weeks ago, they did an awesome job on that car ... it had every feature the more expensive cars have, it was fun to drive and I really like the looks, the only downside is it felt front drive bias.
I mean a four-door RWD M2. Alas, it does not exist.
Old 09-21-2020, 09:35 PM   #326
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Edit: If you were channeling your inner JST, you’d have to get Mustang out of your system. If you were mixing JST, you, and me, you’d have to get a Mustang convertible or a Corvette Stingray convertible.

Edit Again: Whatever you get needs to be cool, fun, and powerful.
You just put a bunch of ideas in my head I now need to explore. Wow.

Thank you.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 09-21-2020, 09:41 PM   #327
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:

Thank you.
Old 09-21-2020, 11:43 PM   #328
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
So, this is the idea...

Early C3 Corvette roadster small block in solid driver condition for $20k+/- along with either a not quite new truck (F150 EB with 10k+ tow capacity, probably) or a newer Accord than the one my kids are driving (or something else cheap but decent) for every day. My preference would be for the truck, but I may run out of budget.

This scenario scratches a lot of itches, maximizes flexibility, and feels less silly than a new Camaro. Also does not require Jaguar decoration removal for spousal approval, which is nice.

I figure I would fuck around with Vette for a year or two doing a few simple things and then either sell it or spend some money when something major breaks.

Be advised, I’ve driven these before. I drove a C3 with sidepipes coast to coast in winter. I know what they’re like and have no illusions (time healed memories notwithstanding). It’s not a first class driving experience compared to modern cars. Original steering system has zero feel and is overboosted steer-with-a-single-finger light. It doesn’t have chassis flex...it’s not still enough for it to just be “flex.” It’s an old car with old ways of doing things.

So, I don’t know.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 09-22-2020, 07:31 AM   #329
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
So, this is the idea...

Early C3 Corvette roadster small block in solid driver condition for $20k+/- along with either a not quite new truck (F150 EB with 10k+ tow capacity, probably) or a newer Accord than the one my kids are driving (or something else cheap but decent) for every day. My preference would be for the truck, but I may run out of budget.

This scenario scratches a lot of itches, maximizes flexibility, and feels less silly than a new Camaro. Also does not require Jaguar decoration removal for spousal approval, which is nice.

I figure I would fuck around with Vette for a year or two doing a few simple things and then either sell it or spend some money when something major breaks.

Be advised, I’ve driven these before. I drove a C3 with sidepipes coast to coast in winter. I know what they’re like and have no illusions (time healed memories notwithstanding). It’s not a first class driving experience compared to modern cars. Original steering system has zero feel and is overboosted steer-with-a-single-finger light. It doesn’t have chassis flex...it’s not still enough for it to just be “flex.” It’s an old car with old ways of doing things.

So, I don’t know.
Sounds like your Miata!

Having a truck and an old sports car is cool, but the dream might be better than the reality.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:30 AM   #330
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:

Thank you.
Rent a ford with newest sync for a week . . . . . this will clear your head of these ideas

you're welcome