carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 10-25-2005, 12:58 AM   #1
ARCHER
Crotchety

The Rubicon is impressive.

It's been out several times for moderate 4-wheeling but I took it out with my FJ-40-driving brother and a few Jeep-Clubbers in search of some nasty stuff this past Saturday.

DAMN!

Without any objection whatsoever, it went anywhere I had the cajones to point it. With a few bits for protection underneath, a mild lift and a transfer case raise - I'd take it anywhere. Jeep got it right with this one.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:38 AM   #2
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
I need to avoid reading your posts on these topics before I end up with another expensive hobby.

Last edited by rumatt; 10-30-2005 at 04:19 PM.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 08:46 AM   #3
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt
I need to avoid reading your posts on these topics before I end up with another expensive hobbie.
It's not like you have acres and acres to play on
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 10:02 AM   #4
ARCHER
Crotchety

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt
I need to avoid reading your posts on these topics before I end up with another expensive hobbie.
They can be money pits for sure. The lift/mods I plan on doing are very mild but extremely beneficial. Guys running the setup I'm after all say it helps tremendously on the trail, and on pavement, rides and handles even better than stock - which is surprisingly good.

I don't plan on doing much to it after that and my pain threshold for breaking things on the trail is low. It should be the perfect setup for me without a lot of expense.

Famous last words...
Old 10-25-2005, 10:11 AM   #5
bren
lawn boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARCHER
The lift/mods I plan on doing are very mild but extremely beneficial.
OME?
Old 10-25-2005, 10:45 AM   #6
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren
It's not like you have acres and acres to play on

I do have some big speed bumps in front of my house though.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 08:52 PM   #7
ARCHER
Crotchety

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren
OME?
Yup. I have heard nothing but good things about OME.

The junk I'm eyeballing...

_________
Ultimate TJ/LJ Wrangler Kit

(Fit 33" to 35" Tires)

Our new Ultimate kit has everything you need to transform your TJ or LJ into a truly capable, dual-purpose machine that really performs- On Road and Off-Road! This Complete Kit includes: **4 OME Shocks, 4 OME Coil Springs, (Med or HD coils) OME Rear Bumpstop Spacers, JKS "Quicker" Disconnects, JKS 1.25" Body Lift, JKS 1" Motor Mount Spacers, JKS Adj Trackbar (front) JKS Adj Trackbar (rear), and 2" Extended Bumpstops. (Front & rear) It's the Ultimate kit for your Jeep!

I am a web researcher to a fault. My wife swears I can't buy a stick of gum without rooting out multiple forums and researching all the flavor out of said stick of gum. In terms of consistent reviews and comments, OME is the gold standard with regard to my intentions.

As I'm sure you know, off-roading is not all that different from tracking in terms of over-modding for the real world. A very high percentage of the yahoos with sky-high rigs haven't the slightest clue about what they have done to the physics of their vehicles and what catastrophic effects it could have in the right/wrong situation. But "WHOO-BOY," she looks damn capable! It appears automotive dipshitery knows no bounds.

I'll take a low C.O.G. and a methodical line execution any day.

Last edited by ARCHER; 10-25-2005 at 09:04 PM.
ARCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 09:50 PM   #8
lupinsea
Jeeped

Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata
Ha! Didn't realize there were other Jeepers on this board.

I've had a regular TJ for just over a year now and have dumped about $5500 in mods into it. I know the money pit of which you speak. The only problem is that they are just too damn fun.

Those Rubicons are indeed great machines. . . though I've recently had to winch two of them up a hill I just walked up. I think it had everything to do with the driver because under other circumstances those machines are just nuts.

Like you, I wanted to keep the CG as low as possible. Unfortunately, with the Jeep you have two competing goals: as much ground clearance as possible while maintaning as low a center of gravity as possible. I opted for a 2" lift with a 1" body lift, 32" tires, and then installed a low-profile transfercase skid plate that gains me another 3" of break-over clearance.

Oh, and then went with the Anti-rock off-road swaybar. Frees up a lot of articulation in the suspension to really flex out and keep your tires on the ground.

Some pictures of my Jeep and where we go.

All four tires are touching something solid. . . 30" of suspension flex

Fording a river at a local ORV park

Local trails . . . easy stuff, but I wouldn't take a car here.

Well loved trails sometimes cut deep up here.

Out with my club. . . the Jeep takes you to many wonderful places
without the annoyance of hiking.

Congrats on the Rubi, Archer! You have an excellent rig with the Rubicon, and the OME lift is, indeed a very good one... not too tall but a real nice ride. I think you'll be continually amazed at just where the Rubicon will go. A mild lift to fit some modest tires (33") and it would be just perfect.

Now you just need to go out there and enjoy it. Keep in mind, the first dent hurts the worst. Once you get one, the rest aren't so painful.

BTW, I have more pictures on my website if you're interested.
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 10:09 PM   #9
bren
lawn boy

You both suck

edit: I'd seriously look at the Anti-Rock instead of the JKS disco's. IIRC the TJ does much better with a front bar connected.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:38 PM   #10
lupinsea
Jeeped

Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata
Yup. The TJ's are certainly more stable off-road with something like the Anti-rock. Going over the rough and un-even terrain I'm often surprised how level and balanced the Jeep is with the Anti-rock. And unlike running with the swaybar disconnected it really balances the traction out, too.

Of course. . . there is the ORO Sway-loc swaybar system.

The Sway-loc is a dual rate swaybar with a pnumatic actuated solenoid to switch between the street swaybar and the off-road swaybar. When switched to the street setting it's like you have the OEM swaybar up front. At the flick of a switch the street swaybar is disengaged and you're left with the off-road swaybar which is like the Anti-rock in it's abilities.

Think of it as a swaybar within a swaybar. There is an outer hollow torsion rod with the thinner ("softer") off-road swaybar centered inside and an engagement mechanism on one end. Very cool. And very pricey at twice the cost of the Anti-rock . . but you'll get the best of street and off-road swaybars.

BTW, my other toy, built it myself, what do you think?:

Sandrail: 800 lb. and 105 hp.

lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote