carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 12-21-2008, 03:49 PM   #1
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
M35x in the snow..

It's pretty awesome.

This is one area where more weight pays off - the M's 4000 lbs curb weight combined with AWD makes going through snow a breeze.

The M has an interesting system - in normal driving, 100 percent of power is sent to the rear wheels, any wheel slip detected by the computer sends power to any of four wheels that slip in varying percentage.

The M35 has a nifty extra for snow driving, it's called the "snow button" and its primary function is to lock 25% power for each wheel up to 18 mile per hour (it also desensitizes the throttle a bit). Engage the button and forget it, the car reverts to normal AWD when up to speed.

We were out most of the day yesterday and the system is flawless - snow was still pretty deep in places, but the system just did its thing transparently - I could see lights blinking on the dash, but I never really felt anything through the wheels - and powering up right and left hand sweepers in snow is fun, fun FUN (except when your wife starts complaining).

I was too lazy to put snows on the M - it rides on Goodyear all seasons, but I'm thinking I may want to, with that, it'd be unstoppable (well, sort of, it doesn't have the ground clearance of an SUV).

The Infiniti continues to impress.

Ed
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 05:26 PM   #2
lupinsea
Jeeped

Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata
Very impressive, Ed. Seems like a slick system.

"Jeep is the only true American sports car*" - Enzo Ferrari

* Or something to that effect.
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 09:33 AM   #3
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
I was too lazy to put snows on the M - it rides on Goodyear all seasons, but I'm thinking I may want to, with that, it'd be unstoppable (well, sort of, it doesn't have the ground clearance of an SUV).

Ed

IMHO, the goodyear's work for winter only when they are new. Once they are a little worn, they suck in bad weather.

I think you will want to mount the snows next snow season.

In the mean time, Have fun!
Old 12-22-2008, 09:58 AM   #4
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
(well, sort of, it doesn't have the ground clearance of an SUV).
As it has for the previous 2 winters, the V70R on 3D's was simply awesome. Except for the plows cleaning driveways which would leave large chunks of snow on the road. When it's just snow, it's no big deal. When they turn into ice, having a low car means the front bumper gets a bit roughed up or worse.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:14 AM   #5
ff

Quote:
The M35 has a nifty extra for snow driving, it's called the "snow button" and its primary function is to lock 25% power for each wheel up to 18 mile per hour (it also desensitizes the throttle a bit). Engage the button and forget it, the car reverts to normal AWD when up to speed.
That would be a nice feature. Especially on those morning commutes where you have 12" of snow on top of 1" glare ice.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:25 AM   #6
IndyMike
Elected by grace

Carmudgeonly Ride: 11 1 M; 11 328iT; 22 M240ix
The Dunlop AS's are more than tolerable for the majority of nasty conditions around these parts, but ground clearance is the one bugaboo that the VW sucks at.

4-Motion rocks, but ice chunks the size of small boulders are a major bane to it.

I'd prefer taking on 8 inches of virgin snow, then the same amount that has been plowed up into ice chunkies.

"Iceberg dead ahead" is still dreaded words to me, and not just on the high seas anymore.
IndyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:57 AM   #7
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
It's pretty awesome.

This is one area where more weight pays off - the M's 4000 lbs curb weight combined with AWD makes going through snow a breeze.

The M has an interesting system - in normal driving, 100 percent of power is sent to the rear wheels, any wheel slip detected by the computer sends power to any of four wheels that slip in varying percentage.

We were out most of the day yesterday and the system is flawless - snow was still pretty deep in places, but the system just did its thing transparently - I could see lights blinking on the dash, but I never really felt anything through the wheels - and powering up right and left hand sweepers in snow is fun, fun FUN (except when your wife starts complaining).

Ed

ATTESA is a nice system.

eats brake pads up like there's no tomorrow, though.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:59 AM   #8
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMike View Post
The Dunlop AS's are more than tolerable for the majority of nasty conditions around these parts, but ground clearance is the one bugaboo that the VW sucks at.

4-Motion rocks, but ice chunks the size of small boulders are a major bane to it.

I'd prefer taking on 8 inches of virgin snow, then the same amount that has been plowed up into ice chunkies.

"Iceberg dead ahead" is still dreaded words to me, and not just on the high seas anymore.
Exactly. When I had my old POS 190E, I didn't care much. But with my current cars, I do (they are also easily 1-2" lower than the 190E).

Another factor is that in crappy weather the incidence of stupid fender benders increases tremendously. I rather that happen on a car I don't care much about than on my "nice" car. These factors just add to my list of why I'd like a spare SUV.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote