carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 03-19-2020, 11:34 AM   #81
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
I wonder how the Ford plant shutdown will affect prices?
Ford, GM, and FCA are all shutting down. Most foreign manufacturers are shutting their plants here. The ones that haven't will probably have to idle within a few days because of parts shortages (suppliers, both here and abroad, are shutting down, too).

I'm more interested in seeing how quickly any of them can spool up and knock out ventilators.

In terms of cars and prices...maybe there won't be any new cars for me to buy when we get there. Maybe plenty of used ones to choose from. So much uncertainty sitting on so much world-changing, life-altering unknowns about the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
No NPP. That is regretful. I grabbed the car because it was hard enough to find a manual V8 convertible.

I agree that car sounds nasty and maybe that’s color in my thinking about my own car. Oh well.
I don't follow very closely, but it looks like there are a lot of aftermarket exhaust options for non-NPP cars.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 04:33 PM   #82
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
It might not even drop $3k, it's going to drop less than new cars... But you're driving it instead of driving the newer car during the same period. If you don't have another car lying around, not worth it at all, hold on... Especially if miles aren't piling up, the value won't drop too much. Who is going to a dealer to go and touch and smell stuff for the next several months? No one.
Today may be the day the bottom drops. Carvana offers:

3/18/20 $17002
3/19/20 $16718
3/20/20 $16408
3/21/20 $16384
3/22/20 $16431
3/23/20am $16431
3/23/20pm $12969

The base offer is the same am/pm today, but the "local market adjustment" changed wildly. I ran a few other cars to get a feel for what's going on and it seems that all pony cars (higher dollar V8s to the cheap turbos) have a negative $2500-$3200 local market adjustment in DC metro zip codes.

I still have the token key URL for the last $16431 offer, so I may be able to pull the trigger on that. The only time the car started since Sunday 3/15 was on Saturday after I realized one of the keyfobs had gone through a washer/dryer cycle and I wanted to be sure it still worked.

Will probably talk to my wife tonight. We have her car and the Accord, which my daughter isn't really driving right now. We probably don't need three cars to get through to the other side of this thing.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 03-23-2020, 07:39 PM   #83
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Ugh... Much worse than expected, but the $16.5k, if it goes through, would be great.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 07:48 PM   #84
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Ugh... Much worse than expected, but the $16.5k, if it goes through, would be great.
And I ran it through again five minutes ago. $17319.

If I had to guess, the low figure came during a data update that may not have gone smoothly...perhaps because an IT team was disbursed and WFH instead of in the office?

It kinda feels like gambling and knowing when to hold them (which, in my case, is obviously now, although I probably won't), thank you and RIP Kenny Rogers.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 03-23-2020, 09:23 PM   #85
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
And I ran it through again five minutes ago. $17319.

If I had to guess, the low figure came during a data update that may not have gone smoothly...perhaps because an IT team was disbursed and WFH instead of in the office?

It kinda feels like gambling and knowing when to hold them (which, in my case, is obviously now, although I probably won't), thank you and RIP Kenny Rogers.

Pull the trigger.

Like you said. Get to the other side of this. Clean and flexible.

lemming is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 12:07 AM   #86
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
Pull the trigger.

Like you said. Get to the other side of this. Clean and flexible.
So...

The $17319 offer was based on a different zip code and not attached to a Carvana account (I'd been playing with some details to see what impacts they may have on the offers). When I tried to save it to an freshly made account, I also tried updating the zip code. And that forced a reappraisal.

The offer dropped to $12,9xx.

I tried running it through again and it went up to $13,741 and, to see what would happen, clicked "save this offer."

Dumb.

I couldn't delete or remove the offer from my account and it seemed like I'd be tied to it since the VIN was attached. I started reloading URLs with tokens from my browser history, clicking stuff, and eventually seemed to save an offer from earlier today for $17015.

Phew?

One of the docs that has to be uploaded is a payoff quote if there's a note. My loan is through Citizens One (Citizens Bank). Their online info is deficient to say the least (har, har). To get a payoff quote, one needs to call, go through an automated menu and then request one be sent to you via fax. Because it's not 2020 Cornoavirus crazytime, it's late 1999 Y2K crazytime? But I get it sorted and upload my docs.

They say it takes 1-2 business days for them to verify things after which, they'll contact me and I can schedule a pick up time.

I also remembered after I did all this that I will probably lose my tags since I won't be trading in. Maryland allows easy transfer of tags from a vehicle you sell to a vehicle acquired at the same time. My memory is hazy, but my recollection is that they make it difficult to impossible to transfer from a vehicle you sell to a vehicle you already own. Branch offices are closed for C19 now, but I think the main office is functioning, so I plan to try calling.

Next up...let's see if I can quickly find a dirt cheap running Mustang that I can cheaply tag to give the TEAMWTF tags a place to go, use the Mustang ownership for a $3500 conquest rebate on a new Camaro 30 or more days later, and finally trade it in to get rid of it and make it easy to transfer the tags to the new Camaro.

Edit - I'm also curious about whether the MD non-essential business shutdown will kill the deal.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 03-24-2020, 06:52 AM   #87
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
So...

The $17319 offer was based on a different zip code and not attached to a Carvana account (I'd been playing with some details to see what impacts they may have on the offers). When I tried to save it to an freshly made account, I also tried updating the zip code. And that forced a reappraisal.

The offer dropped to $12,9xx.

I tried running it through again and it went up to $13,741 and, to see what would happen, clicked "save this offer."

Dumb.

I couldn't delete or remove the offer from my account and it seemed like I'd be tied to it since the VIN was attached. I started reloading URLs with tokens from my browser history, clicking stuff, and eventually seemed to save an offer from earlier today for $17015.

Phew?

One of the docs that has to be uploaded is a payoff quote if there's a note. My loan is through Citizens One (Citizens Bank). Their online info is deficient to say the least (har, har). To get a payoff quote, one needs to call, go through an automated menu and then request one be sent to you via fax. Because it's not 2020 Cornoavirus crazytime, it's late 1999 Y2K crazytime? But I get it sorted and upload my docs.

They say it takes 1-2 business days for them to verify things after which, they'll contact me and I can schedule a pick up time.

I also remembered after I did all this that I will probably lose my tags since I won't be trading in. Maryland allows easy transfer of tags from a vehicle you sell to a vehicle acquired at the same time. My memory is hazy, but my recollection is that they make it difficult to impossible to transfer from a vehicle you sell to a vehicle you already own. Branch offices are closed for C19 now, but I think the main office is functioning, so I plan to try calling.

Next up...let's see if I can quickly find a dirt cheap running Mustang that I can cheaply tag to give the TEAMWTF tags a place to go, use the Mustang ownership for a $3500 conquest rebate on a new Camaro 30 or more days later, and finally trade it in to get rid of it and make it easy to transfer the tags to the new Camaro.

Edit - I'm also curious about whether the MD non-essential business shutdown will kill the deal.
I should have posted earlier, but my buddy tried to Carvana his boxster on Friday of last week. Had the offer accepted, all the paperwork done and then found out that (in PA at least) they were barred from doing transactions due to being non-essential. His offer was put on hold and I believe was said to be valid up to the point they are allowed to pick it up.

Did you confirm they are able to come and get it?
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 09:40 AM   #88
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
I should have posted earlier, but my buddy tried to Carvana his boxster on Friday of last week. Had the offer accepted, all the paperwork done and then found out that (in PA at least) they were barred from doing transactions due to being non-essential. His offer was put on hold and I believe was said to be valid up to the point they are allowed to pick it up.

Did you confirm they are able to come and get it?
Nothing yet. The process seems to be:
  • Accept offer
  • upload docs (photos/pdfs of title, license, registration, odometer, and payoff quote if there's an outstanding loan
  • wait for them to "verify" the info
  • upload any supplementary docs they may ask for
  • schedule pickup

But like a lot of online processes, you don't really get to see full details of each step and what sub-steps there may be until you're on that step. So, I don't know what I don't know.

Their website says they are experiencing delays and closings that impact appointments and working with customers individually where those occur. The website says they will not extend an offer beyond 7 days due to c19, but is silent on what happens if you accept an offer and the transaction cannot be completed because of c19.

Maryland closed down non-essential businesses yesterday. Like a lot of states, the order makes some auto services essential, but leaves auto sales in an unclear status. A coalition of auto trade groups asked the WH yesterday to clarify the federal guidance on car/truck sales most of the state orders rely on for defining essential businesses.

My expectation is that I won't be able to get it done in my driveway. If that's the case, I am hopeful I can schedule the pick up in DC or VA.

Because of the wackiness in the quote numbers and not having any email confirmation of accepting the offer, I'm half-thinking when (if?) they contact me today or tomorrow, it will be a "We're very sorry, but..." message.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 03-24-2020, 10:06 AM   #89
JST

Quote:
Nothing yet. The process seems to be:
  • Accept offer
  • upload docs (photos/pdfs of title, license, registration, odometer, and payoff quote if there's an outstanding loan
  • wait for them to "verify" the info
  • upload any supplementary docs they may ask for
  • schedule pickup

But like a lot of online processes, you don't really get to see full details of each step and what sub-steps there may be until you're on that step. So, I don't know what I don't know.

Their website says they are experiencing delays and closings that impact appointments and working with customers individually where those occur. The website says they will not extend an offer beyond 7 days due to c19, but is silent on what happens if you accept an offer and the transaction cannot be completed because of c19.

Maryland closed down non-essential businesses yesterday. Like a lot of states, the order makes some auto services essential, but leaves auto sales in an unclear status. A coalition of auto trade groups asked the WH yesterday to clarify the federal guidance on car/truck sales most of the state orders rely on for defining essential businesses.

My expectation is that I won't be able to get it done in my driveway. If that's the case, I am hopeful I can schedule the pick up in DC or VA.

Because of the wackiness in the quote numbers and not having any email confirmation of accepting the offer, I'm half-thinking when (if?) they contact me today or tomorrow, it will be a "We're very sorry, but..." message.
VA's order should still permit retail car sales to operate. As non-essential businesses, they are restricted but closure is not mandated.

Whether any of them actually still are operating is a different question.
JST is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 10:38 AM   #90
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
This is quite likely, but it doesn't hurt to try with a 16.5 to 17k offer. You'll get a car one way or another and at a deal... Let the investor funded online wunder-company take the hit.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote