Old 05-14-2019, 12:56 PM   #251
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Minor update.
Awesomeness!

Quote:
But hey, if I go out there and the car doesn't make a single good run at least I'll have a weekend with friends and I'm sure I can find something else to drive!
If something happens at the Pro that can't be "fixed" for the Tour, I know you'll have at least one offer.

Can't wait to see it run!

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 01:54 PM   #252
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
I do appreciate that. I hope to complete the event with no issues! haha.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 04:32 PM   #253
kognito
older fart than ZBB

So how did it shake out?? I didn't read anything about you driving Clyde's car, so I hope that is good news
Old 05-29-2019, 01:55 PM   #254
John V
No more BMWs

It technically completed all of its runs, plus 8 runs on a practice course that was set up before the real competition happened. That alone is a huge win.

It developed an electrical problem during competition that I tried to diagnose the entire weekend but was unsuccessful.... until competition was over. One of my friends poked at a connector and it came apart, because it wasn't latched. That connector carries power to the fuel injectors, so that explained the bad running.

I finished dead last in the pro out of five drivers, but I wasn't hugely far behind, especially considering how badly the car ran. I finished second at the tour out of 7 drivers. that's good for a tire (About $420) and $150 from Mazda, plus $75 from Hawk brakes.

The car was a rocket on the practice course when it was running correctly.

There were a lot of good things about this weekend. I know the car needs a lot more spring rate as it was way too soft for the grip. I also got the anti-lag launch control set up, which is RAD. Floor the throttle at the line and it builds boost with no load on the engine, so when I dump the clutch it leaves at full boost. Fun! Next thing is to get the traction control working so I don't have to immediately feather the throttle.
Old 05-29-2019, 02:33 PM   #255
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
It technically completed all of its runs, plus 8 runs on a practice course that was set up before the real competition happened. That alone is a huge win.

It developed an electrical problem during competition that I tried to diagnose the entire weekend but was unsuccessful.... until competition was over. One of my friends poked at a connector and it came apart, because it wasn't latched. That connector carries power to the fuel injectors, so that explained the bad running.

I finished dead last in the pro out of five drivers, but I wasn't hugely far behind, especially considering how badly the car ran. I finished second at the tour out of 7 drivers. that's good for a tire (About $420) and $150 from Mazda, plus $75 from Hawk brakes.

There were a lot of good things about this weekend. I know the car needs a lot more spring rate as it was way too soft for the grip. I also got the anti-lag launch control set up, which is RAD. Floor the throttle at the line and it builds boost with no load on the engine, so when I dump the clutch it leaves at full boost. Fun! Next thing is to get the traction control working so I don't have to immediately feather the throttle.
Basically, he looked like this the whole week:

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 05-29-2019, 02:35 PM   #256
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:

Sounds like fun! Connector issues can be such a bitch. I had a connector problem on the Cummins engine in my Volvo . . . there was a second fuel pump at the injectors (Volvo called it a lift rail pump) connector loosened up, but truck was driveable with loss of power. Cost me 380 bucks at Volvo. Same connector loosened up again about 500 miles later and I ended up running a tie wrap around the two ends to hold them together.

Yeah, injectors like their power
Old 06-03-2019, 07:03 AM   #257
John V
No more BMWs

We had a local event yesterday and I got to test out some changes to the car. Most importantly, the issues I had in Lincoln seem resolved. the car ran great and I started playing around with the traction control.

I need to add some more rear spring to the car, it's pushy in high speed stuff probably due to the effect of the wing at speed pushing the rear of the car down and adding grip. It's not exactly loose in low speed sweeping stuff either so I think more rear spring is in order. Turn-in is also kind of lazy in that the front tire is taking too long to develop grip. That makes me think a little more compression damping in the front shocks should help. Overall the car is not bad in the handling department and it puts down power very well. My goal is to get it handling well with the current power level (around 340hp at the wheels) and then start to wick up the power to closer to 400. But I'm happy with the current power level for now.

We had a lot of people running in "non-competition" so I had to hunt around to see how I compared to everyone. Looks like I was third on index, about 0.25 off of the leader. I won my class but it's a local event with no cars in my class prepped to the same level so that doesn't mean much. I'm very happy with where I am with the car given how fresh the build is.

Next big thing to work on is dialing in the traction control. I have a ProSolo in two weeks and I need to get the traction control working before that Pro. At the ProSolo last weekend I got my butt kicked off the line trying to modulate the power delivery. Need to get the computer working on that so I can focus on other aspects of driving.

Old 06-03-2019, 10:07 AM   #258
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Aweome!

The steering wheel looks so tiny. Is that just the camera angle?
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 10:45 AM   #259
John V
No more BMWs

I think it's 320mm, same size I had on the BMW.
Old 06-03-2019, 04:54 PM   #260
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
We had a local event yesterday and I got to test out some changes to the car. Most importantly, the issues I had in Lincoln seem resolved. the car ran great and I started playing around with the traction control.

I need to add some more rear spring to the car, it's pushy in high speed stuff probably due to the effect of the wing at speed pushing the rear of the car down and adding grip. It's not exactly loose in low speed sweeping stuff either so I think more rear spring is in order. Turn-in is also kind of lazy in that the front tire is taking too long to develop grip. That makes me think a little more compression damping in the front shocks should help. Overall the car is not bad in the handling department and it puts down power very well. My goal is to get it handling well with the current power level (around 340hp at the wheels) and then start to wick up the power to closer to 400. But I'm happy with the current power level for now.

We had a lot of people running in "non-competition" so I had to hunt around to see how I compared to everyone. Looks like I was third on index, about 0.25 off of the leader. I won my class but it's a local event with no cars in my class prepped to the same level so that doesn't mean much. I'm very happy with where I am with the car given how fresh the build is.

Next big thing to work on is dialing in the traction control. I have a ProSolo in two weeks and I need to get the traction control working before that Pro. At the ProSolo last weekend I got my butt kicked off the line trying to modulate the power delivery. Need to get the computer working on that so I can focus on other aspects of driving.

Wish I'd been able to stick around to see you run.

The traction control thing has been buzzing in my mind a bit. What the difference in putting down power from this compared to a c5 Z06. The amount of power you're talking about doesn't sound outrageous compared that and you've got more tire, although less weight, too.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?