And make sure you have good brakes.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:23 PM   #43
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz View Post
And make sure you have good brakes.
Sorry for hitting you officer, but my BMW came with sh!tty single-pot brakes from the factory.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 03:38 PM   #44
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
The last I heard about the red light camera stuff in San Diego was that the issue was that the contract forbade the yellow light duration from being changed after the cameras were installed.
The end result of the lawsuit was to eliminate revenue sharing. The camera company gets a flat fee per interseciton per year, not a piece of every ticket. The restriction on the yellow light times didn't help either, of course. They now have a minimum length, not a maximum length or any restrictions on changing the length. The camera company is also different after the lawsuit.

It's not important though. It was a question of state law and could conceivably be different from state to state until the Feds pre-empt the law. The facts I looked into also revolved around the San Diego policy. Apparently the cities operate the red light camera programs and share the revenue with the state. Finally, the San Diego law suits were settled, not tried to conclusion, so where the line is drawn is still open to interpretation.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 07:49 PM   #45
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwg View Post
The end result of the lawsuit was to eliminate revenue sharing. The camera company gets a flat fee per interseciton per year, not a piece of every ticket. The restriction on the yellow light times didn't help either, of course. They now have a minimum length, not a maximum length or any restrictions on changing the length. The camera company is also different after the lawsuit.

It's not important though. It was a question of state law and could conceivably be different from state to state until the Feds pre-empt the law. The facts I looked into also revolved around the San Diego policy. Apparently the cities operate the red light camera programs and share the revenue with the state. Finally, the San Diego law suits were settled, not tried to conclusion, so where the line is drawn is still open to interpretation.
Interesting. Thanks!

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 07:51 PM   #46
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
I can easily see some distracted person in a large vehicle clipping one of them, or worse.
Yeah, because god knows a distracted person in a tiny little subcompact wouldn't clip one of them, or worse.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 07:59 AM   #47
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Yeah, because god knows a distracted person in a tiny little subcompact wouldn't clip one of them, or worse.
I knew someone would bring this up. In a large vehicle, you will be closer to the cops while staying in your lane, which in this road, considering the traffic, you have to. Nevermind that larger vehicles, like delivery trucks, vans, large trucks etc obviously can;t handle worth shit.

So no, I wasn't talking about SUV's, but a large SUV is still tougher to maneuver than a civic.

And of course, a dude in a motorcycle could still take them out. Just pointing out that there are a lot of large vehicles, and they clearly would have a tougher time avoiding them.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote